Mac's will always be more expensive than PC's

Historically speaking, Mac's haven't always been more expensive than concurrent IBM compatible/Wintel offerings.

It wasn't until the 286 and Windows 3.0 that Mac's started to be on the wrong side of the performance/price scale.

The longer they held onto Motorola processors (and the PowerPC architecture), the more evident the gap made itself.

But now, they've established enough brand loyalty/unique computer using experience that they've established a market that they can sell x86(or x86-64 as it may be) hardware for a premium.

So really, it's a matter of market forces. If Apple ever feels that they can establish a lower priced market that's more lucrative than their current venture, I'm sure they could re-invent themselves, and their Mac line to do so.

Never say "never" (or "always" in this case).

You're just being short-sighted.

Edited by shakey_snake

I use Windows because I like to play PC videogames. I bought a mac book a few years ago as well. Mostly because I wanted to familiarize myself with OSX to broaden my general OS knowledge. But I didn't like it as much I had hoped to.

There are some things OSX does better than Windows, and there are some things Windows does better than OSX. It's all personal preference in my eyes.

The price also plays a part in which platform I like. It's cheaper for me to build a computer from scratch than it is for me to buy a mac pro, etc. And as a consumer with a limited budget for a computer, that is always the deciding factor.

dont take this the wrong way, but if budget is such an important factor... doesnt that defeat the point of pc gaming?

I've never really understood why anyone would complain about the price of a mac yet spend more than 250 bucks on a video card (not saying that is your case).

I don't necessarily think so. One, you're paying for a different OS and comparing something like that is hard to do. For instance, you couldn't compare linux to windows in that sense. Vista is more expensive than OS X. Two, your also paying for a piece of hardware that will run just about any OS [legitimately]. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Edited by EXO242

Its that sort of schtick that gives us Mac users a bad reputation as being eliteist jerks. I use it because I prefer it. I don't use it to be 'different' thanks very much!

I was commenting on Apple's business strategy. Not on the user.

LOL. Read my post again and get a clue.

Anyone else asleep at the wheel??

I was commenting on Apple's business strategy. Not on the user.

Anyone else asleep at the wheel??

And this post only further proves the incredible smugness of some Apple fanboys.

huh? after some price checkin i noticed macbooks and MBP arent really more expensive than other pc counterparts.

Now, Acer may or may not be your thing, but you can't complain about the specs (doesn't have the T7000-series C2D either, but it does have more memory and bigger HD than the stock MB, as well an an Nvidia 8600) - $900:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834115454

Downside, is that as for as lappys go, it was beaten with an ugly stick. It will never go after the Apple's in terms of looks.

My Mini has a T5600, and it's fine, and my Toshiba lappy has an AMD Turion 64 X2, and that runs everything I throw at it (Vista included). I can't complain about Vista SP1 or 10.5.2 so far.

Now, Acer may or may not be your thing, but you can't complain about the specs

So can I complain about the ridicilously poor display or the shoddy construction?

Because I haven't seen an Acer laptop that doesn't exhibit one or the other - they have, alongside the Fujitsu Amilo line, had the worst displays I have had the unfortunate experience of witnessing as a hardware provider. I wouldn't sell Acer or any of those cheap laptops if it cost my job.

Apple computers will always be more expensive because of the quality and the experience that they provide. Each new Mac comes with Mac OS X and the latest version of iLife (iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand), and everything is tied together. The software and hardware work together seamlessly. You just can't get that level of integration on a Windows-based computer.

if mac osx gets any bigger than it already is you're going to see a pretty big price jump, which is scary since the reason macs are so much more expensive in the first place (relative to pc) is because the hardware and software is proprietary. you can't really do much in terms of upgrading machines without the help of apple, or apple specific components. subsequently, a larger market share from apple would result in higher prices because of the simple principles of supply and demand. furthermore, a larger market share would cause more hackers to target mac osx and you'd see an increase in broken macs. or ****ed off mac users. or both.

I've spent over $2,500 on my current iMac about 18 months ago and I have never regretted it.

That's not the point. A lot of Apple buyers won't regret their purchase but it remains to be more expensive than a Windows PC.

That's not the point. A lot of Apple buyers won't regret their purchase but it remains to be more expensive than a Windows PC.

iCeFuSiOn nailed it a few posts back - a Mac provides you with a seamlessly integrated package of well-built hardware and software. I'd rather spend a few ? extra on it than continue to fiddle around with Wintels any longer. I've done that long enough and became sick of it. So I switched last month - I bought an iMac - and couldn't be any happier with my purchase.

dont take this the wrong way, but if budget is such an important factor... doesnt that defeat the point of pc gaming?

I've never really understood why anyone would complain about the price of a mac yet spend more than 250 bucks on a video card (not saying that is your case).

Yeah but now you can buy the components quite cheap to have a gaming pc. 8800GT for around ?120 (admittedly on ebay), E6750 for around ?120 as well and the list goes on. With a computer with those basic specifications (add another 300 or so for the case, psu, ram etc.) you can play most games on high settings (bar Crysis etc.)

Anyways back on topic, I like Macs. but there is something that I can't quite put my finger on them to make the switch (bar gaming).

iCeFuSiOn nailed it a few posts back - a Mac provides you with a seamlessly integrated package of well-built hardware and software. I'd rather spend a few ? extra on it than continue to fiddle around with Wintels any longer. I've done that long enough and became sick of it. So I switched last month - I bought an iMac - and couldn't be any happier with my purchase.

I've been using Windows PC's ever since I could and I've recently switched. I know I might sound clich? but it still is the best choice I've ever made. iCeFuSiOn - what's up with the CaPiTaLs - made a great post, that's right, but he didn't need to convince me. I just told the post above me that his post has no point at all in the discussion as we all knew the obviou:p :p

I think you just proved the point.

And this post only further proves the incredible smugness of some Apple fanboys.

Quite.

That's what I did. I <3 my iMac, and I've been telling my friends how 'easy' it was for me to switch from a PC to a Mac. I had a Mac back in the day (an old Mac Performa), then I went to PCs. But after the daily grind of Windows, I just got tired of the viruses, spyware, and the constant slow-downs. So on a whim I went out and bought an iMac; I wanted to get a MacBook, but I just bought one of those too. In the past two months I've spend, close to 3000 dollars on 2 computers alone, and I do not regret it one bit. It's worth every single bit of cash.

mac's are way overpriced. i can do everything and more with a pc, besides for the money apple wants for a mac i could put together a beast of a pc system, that would surpase the capability of a mac. /end

mac's are way overpriced. i can do everything and more with a pc, besides for the money apple wants for a mac i could put together a beast of a pc system, that would surpase the capability of a mac. /end

Can it run OS X?

Answer:

:no:

And I'm not a fanboy at all. I have a Vista desktop, Vista/XP Laptop, Nix laptop, and my Macbook. I recently switched and I really don't see why I put up with the BS and shenanigans that Windows has for so long. Best grand i've spent in a LONG time.

It actually could, but we dont talk about that here.

Well I meant legally. :p I did run "that" on my PC before, and it was niice.