Windows Vista SP1 Poll

Has Service Pack 1 changed your mind about Windows Vista?  

261 members have voted

1. 1. Has Service Pack 1 fixed many of your issues with Vista?

• Yes
    • No
    • Partially
  2. 2. Have you noticed a performance improvement?

• Yes
    • No
    • Partially
  3. 3. Do you think this will finally change people's opinions about Windows Vista?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

IMO Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is amazing performance wise. Just want to see what most people think about the Service Pack.

Due to a lot of people still using Windows XP, can you see them finally moving to Windows Vista now?

My guess is a lot of gamers will still stick with Windows XP and be waiting for Service Pack 3.

Edited by simmorya

IMO Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is absolutely amazing. Just want to see what most people think about the Service Pack.

Due to a lot of people still using Windows XP, can you see them finally moving to Windows Vista now?

While SP1 isn't amazing, it did resolve a lot of issues I was having with Vista. Now I am problem free. The biggest issue that was fixed is the file transfer speed.

The operating system loads and runs much smoother on my Pentium M 2.0GHz laptop. The GUI is much more responsive and network transfers are much faster over the wireless. My gripe, is there a registry hack to add the "Search" back to the Start Menu? (removed in google lawsuit settlement)

you need a "didn't have problems before SP1" and a "Not sure" for the last one :)

I didn't have any major problems with Vista before SP1. I like that some stuff has been fixed/changed (from the rel notes that i saw) but there were i'm not sure what changed that much on this system but it's stable like it's always been :)

I still have the problem where my network bridge still gets a random MAC address. Is there any way to force it to use the same MAC address every time? Anyone? HELP! :)

It really annoys me that they did not include the latest DirectX Nov 2007 update. It seems stupid to me as it improves performance and security with DirectX 9.

By the way, if you clean installed Vista and SP1, you DO need to install the latest DirectX redist.

The operating system loads and runs much smoother on my Pentium M 2.0GHz laptop. The GUI is much more responsive and network transfers are much faster over the wireless. My gripe, is there a registry hack to add the "Search" back to the Start Menu? (removed in google lawsuit settlement)

Wait... SP1 will remove my Start Search?? It's one of my most cherished Vista features :|

Just add it again in the Taskbar and Start Menu properties.

Oh ok.. I'm waiting for SP1 to be available via WU or on MS' website, so I'll remember that when I get it. Thanks

I'm gonna be in a very small minority here, but it felt to me that SP1 made my system LESS responsive, and this was on a clean install with nothing else added on. Load times were longer, networking was MORE of a hassle. It actually drove me back to XP. I was a HUGE Vista supporter as well, but I just can't support SP1, at least not on my machine.

?1- Didn't experience any problems with Vista for it to fix- on either of my 2 computers for that matter- no file-copy issues, no XP networking issues, none. Don't notice any performance increase either. >shrug<

?2- Nope

?3- Vista haters are gonna say it didn't do enough to fix it- UAC and memory usage are still going to be the #1 rants.

Sys specs-

1: MSI KM4M-L, Athlon XP2000+, 1GB ram, onboard video (no aero), onboard realtek audio, vista ult (legit).

2: Asus P5K-VM, C2D e4500 (o/c'd to 3.52GHz), 5GB ram, onboard Intel-G33 video, onboard audio. vista ult (legit).

According to most everyone, #1 shouldn't even be able to run Vista but it's better than XP was.

Guess I'm just lucky.

*edit- and I also still have Search in the start menu and it works like it used to.

I for some reason am having a bit of a problem finding it? could be that i have not slept in 36 hrs. cn anyone jsut provinde me with a link so i dont have to think too much? ill play with it tomarow and report ;)

IMO Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is amazing performance wise. Just want to see what most people think about the Service Pack.

My guess is a lot of gamers will still stick with Windows XP and be waiting for Service Pack 3.

Yeah... are you guys sure about this? When I moved to SP1 yesterday I noticed no difference in my Start menu search layout. And... Vista really was faster than XP and now it's even faster than itself!

No, there was another Search on the blue portion on the right-side of the menu that went to the Internet web search. That is the one that is missing now. Used to be just above Recent Documents.

Can be seen in this picture from random google search: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/images/vi...tart-menu-3.png

No, there was another Search on the blue portion on the right-side of the menu that went to the Internet web search. That is the one that is missing now. Used to be just above Recent Documents.

Can be seen in this picture from random google search: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/images/vi...tart-menu-3.png

yea there used to be a search button... they finally removed it!

"I'm going to ****ing KILL Google" - Steve Ballmer

I'm WITH YOU on this Steve. Microsoft TRIES to help the consumer by adding all the features that users WANT, and than ****ing ******s like Google sue the **** out of Microsoft because the new feature will hamper them from getting a quick buck. This is ****ing bull****. Google should shut the **** up, and stick its own internet stick up its ass and stop preventing software makers from improving their own stuff, that helps the end user in a much more simplified and efficient manner to browse and search the web or their own computer.

It's better - yes. It's not the "jaw breaker" I (and many other people) thought it'd be, but i'm not sniffing at improvements (where they are absolutely needed)

I wont be switching from XP anytime soon, I do play a lot of games and really do need it in place. HOWEVER.

I am probably going to load it on my media center and my test machine for a bit of fun.

"I'm going to ****ing KILL Google" - Steve Ballmer

I'm WITH YOU on this Steve. Microsoft TRIES to help the consumer by adding all the features that users WANT, and than ****ing ******s like Google sue the **** out of Microsoft because the new feature will hamper them from getting a quick buck. This is ****ing bull****. Google should shut the **** up, and stick its own internet stick up its ass and stop preventing software makers from improving their own stuff, that helps the end user in a much more simplified and efficient manner to browse and search the web or their own computer.

+1

Im getting sick of people like Google or the EU telling Microsoft how to build their own software. Nothing is stopping Google from making a Google OS is there?