• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows Vista SP1 Poll

Has Service Pack 1 changed your mind about Windows Vista?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1Frothy    0
Could have done with a poll option of:

Has Service Pack 1 fixed many of your issues with Vista?

Didn't really have any

I had a few small quibbles with Vista RTM + WU Patches, but nothing major of note.

However, WV SP1 just feels like what the product should have been released as in the first place.

+InsaneNutter    1,380

I had no issues and didn?t really notice much difference performance wise.

However I did notice the bar at the bottom of every folder has gone after installing SP1 and that the search button has been removed from the start menu as everyone else has pointed out.

9cw24twzs5afxbi2aw7i_thumb.jpg

NinjaGinger    212

Would never consider downgrading to XP. Vista is better now than the older XP. When Vista first came out it was a nightmare and went back to XP for a time but now it is so much better. You have to have the hardware to run Vista or it is still crap but every opsys that Microsoft has released needs better hardware.

soldier1st    40

the shortcut thingy to add the search does not work,sp1 is good but without the search bar it aint as good now.

Lt-DavidW    2
However I did notice the bar at the bottom of every folder has gone after installing SP1

You mean the details pane? Mine is still there.

Click 'Organise > Layout > Details Pane'.

the shortcut thingy to add the search does not work,sp1 is good but without the search bar it aint as good now.

The Search button is gone from the start menu, but the search bar is still there.

+InsaneNutter    1,380
You mean the details pane? Mine is still there.

Click 'Organise > Layout > Details Pane'.

Cheers got it back now :)

Brody McKee    2

People are STUPID. They won't trust Vista until they are forced to use it and see that it won't eat them.

ZombieFly    222

it repaired a few issues for me and speeded up my system, but then so did the upgrade to a core2 quad 6600 with 4gb ram :)

the average consumer probably wont even notice the changes, if they even know what a service pack is.

the fanbois will continue to bash vista for the sake of bashing it, no doubt most people here will continue to argue that xp/OSX is better.

I don't think Vista will ever shake the bad smell that follows it round, it's unfairly being hailed as the new ME, but that's a bit harsh in my opinion. In my view I still don't see much of an argument for why we needed it when XP was doing just fine. Sure vista is nice but necessary? hmmm ..98 was a necessary leap from 95.... but who cares, it looks nicer and it's newer... that's all that matters... mmm shiny things :drool:

Edited by ZombieFly

Smigit    7

Didnt have any issues to begin with so I voted in this order: No - No - Not Sure

Scrinner    0
I'm gonna be in a very small minority here, but it felt to me that SP1 made my system LESS responsive, and this was on a clean install with nothing else added on. Load times were longer, networking was MORE of a hassle. It actually drove me back to XP. I was a HUGE Vista supporter as well, but I just can't support SP1, at least not on my machine.

Not sure if its been stated but the obvious improvements will be seen after 2-3 days. This will allow superfetch to you know.. superfetch again

Scorbing    517

I was VERY opposed to move to Vista but now that I installed SP1 on it, I am beginning to like it. It feels much better and faster. The annoying bugs I saw have been fixed. Hopefully things will get better when SP2 comes out. Vista is very complex and advanced and it will take MS time to fix all its bugs. Just be patient people. Remember when XP first came out? Everyone hated it (including me).

Lasker    0

The only thing I hate of Vista SP1 is the constant Hard Disk activity, even in idle mode.

Scorbing    517
The only thing I hate of Vista SP1 is the constant Hard Disk activity, even in idle mode.

I haven't really noticed that, but then again I turned off the Defragmenter. Try that and see. Also, how much memory do you have?

If I remember correctly, Vista has always done that, but like I said, since I turned the Defragmenter off I have not noticed it any more. The Windows defragmenter is set to defrag the HD on the background whenever it feels like it. Also, go to msconfig and uncheck all the crap you see there except your antivirus. Most of that stuff is useless and slows you down and makes Windows do funny things since they are programs running in the background and god only knows what they are doing behind your back.

I hope Microsoft comes out with some Powertoys for Vista soon. I personally hate the Windows Explorer scroll effect.on the file tree. Can't seem to turn it off.

k311    1
After doing a clean install with a slipstreamed Vista SP1 (no thanks to Microsoft), I am finding performance of Windows is super, far more responsive than Vista RTM + Patches. But... Copying files to and from my SanDisk 4GB Flash drive is just as slow as before. However file copies on network and hard disks is improved.

how? I have a legitimate copy of vista and i would like to slipstream sp1 as well...

Scaldari Anitoba    0
how? I have a legitimate copy of vista and i would like to slipstream sp1 as well...

LOL so would I, hell, i never got slipstreaming down for XP anyway. disks worked fine for the actaul install, but i could never get them bootable. Tried also once to incorporate all my drivers into a custom install disk <that NEVER worked out> That is one of the reasons i like vista, SATA RAID 0, right outa the box. and NO FLOPPIES!!!!

3 coppies of ultimate, 1 Home and 1 Basic and counting!!! :)

simmorya    0

Atleast you now have a nice clean install of Windows.

I love formatting my hard drive and running a clean OS.

Wanderermy    37

Before SP1 I didn't have any problem but after SP1 even with clean installation my lappy refused to wake up from sleep. Anybody know haw to fix this?

nMIK-3    18

With SP1 Vista is getting more mature.