What is the highest frequency sound you can hear?

Mosquito  

224 members have voted

1. 1. What is the highest frequency you can hear?

Just read an article about the Kids' Commisioner trying to ban 'Mosquito' devices as they discriminate against youths. Basically, they are installed outside shops etc to stop gangs of youths hanging around outside. It's a high frequency noise that only under 25's can hear.

But, my question to you is: what is the highest frequency you can hear?

8khz Everyone play-ringtone.gif Play The 8khz Tone

10khz 60 & Younger play-ringtone.gif Play The 10khz Tone

12khz 50 & Younger play-ringtone.gif Play The 12khz Tone

14.1khz 49 & Younger play-ringtone.gif Play The 14.1khz Tone

14.9khz 39 & Younger play-ringtone.gif Play The 14.9khz Tone

15.8khz 30 & Younger play-ringtone.gif Play The 15.8khz Tone

16.7khz < 24 play-ringtone.gifPlay The 16.7khz Tone

17.7khz < 24 play-ringtone.gif Play The 17.7khz Tone

18.8khz < 24 play-ringtone.gif Play The 18.8khz Tone

19.8khz < 24 play-ringtone.gif Play The 19.8khz Tone

21.1khz < 24 play-ringtone.gif Play The 21.1khz Tone

22.4khz < 24 play-ringtone.gif Play The 22.4khz Tone

Myself, I can hear up to 17.7Khz

Edited by -Alex-

I can hear the 19.8khz sound, and I am 37. It's odd, because late last year I checked my hearing out, and I could hear even higher frequencies, so I guess my hearing is going down hill rapidly.

21.1khz,

My ears felt the sharpness of the tone for the following 5 minutes after. The lowest I can hear is at 100hz. Drop it to down to a single increment dissapears from my ear drum.

From the website:

All newer computers built within the last 5 years will have a sound system that is capable of playing these tones. However, older or poor quality speakers are a different story.

:)

But wont this depend on whether our speakers can produce the sound.

I think so. The frequency response on my set is under 20 kHz, and oddly enough the 19.8 kHz is the last I can hear. I'm almost 22, if that makes a difference. Though, at such a high frequency, it really is more of a "feel" than a hear, my head hurts now, lol.

The ****ty speakers I'm on won't play the 19.8 one or higher. I know I can hear up there (even though I'm 26) because I'm always the guy in the room that knows the TV is on with no picture. That's usually a 20kHz pitch or so. There's also a really high pitch whine in my office (probably from the computer/monitor eMac) that could be drowning out some of the higher pitches.

I'm a professional orchestral musician, so this is sure to go down for me soon (damn trumpets!). I wear earplugs for a lot of rehearsals though.

The 19.8 and 21.1 sound is a really deep droning on my speakers, compared to the rather pin like whining of the other noises.

I couldnt hear the 22.4 one though.

So assuming I heard the 19.8 and 21.1 sounds correctly, then I heard up to that, otherwise the highest I could hear "correctly" would be 18.8.

I'm 26 btw and will be 27 in March

I don't know how good computar speakers are at reproducing pure tones at these frequencies, so I think those audio clips are really dubious. I happen to be in a physics lab, so I have a function generator and piezo speakers lying around. I can hear 22 KHz as a whisper, and nothing higher.

I like the observation of the deep droning above. The speakers couldn't reproduce the sound, so I wonder how many people who are reporting higher frequencies are actually reporting just that.

My speaker was set really loud... although I could bearly hear the 22 KHz, I think it gave me a headache... PS: This body is 21.

I could hear up 'till 21.1kHz

Quite weird though, because I recently had a hearing test and my hearing was actually above the average person. (not on all frequencies)

Might be that there's a lot of background noise here right now.

I'm 20 in a few weeks.