• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

YouTube video causes Baltimore Officer to be Suspended

imachip    158
OK so let me get this straight, you're saying that assault on a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD committed by an officer of the law is an acceptable offence but skateboarding in a no-skateboarding zone is punishable in comparision? Give me a break.

Regardless of what the kid was doing, the cop is a ****ing adult and should know better. Give me one good reason why this guy deserves any respect whatsoever? Just because he's a policeman doesn't automatically grant respect, respect must be earnt and why should it be when he's showing the kid none whatsoever. God knows how many cities in the world have skateboarders, mine was packed full of them in the high street & what did they do? They built a half-pipe behind one of the shopping centres, out of the way of the public & the high street cleared. Positive action = positive results

My god 14 years old and doesn't know how to say 'sorry officer' or 'sorry sir'. Like a lot of kids they don't have respect for the law, and you always should respect that and people who uphold it. Yeah it's easy to say the cop was harsh but hopefully the kid learned something new that day, that you treat peers with respect.

It wasn't like the cop hurt him or anything. If it was my parents who got a call from a cop who said I disrespected him, he'd be commended and my ass would of been grass when I got home, not 'Oh, little Johnny did some man handle you.. I'll make sure he loses his job!'. Yeah nice lesson..

Fugi    7

Worry about kids doing drugs / causing real trouble... not skating down the sidewalk... ****ing excuses for human beings.

thm    1
OK so let me get this straight, you're saying that assault on a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD committed by an officer of the law is an acceptable offence but skateboarding in a no-skateboarding zone is punishable in comparision? Give me a break.

Regardless of what the kid was doing, the cop is a ****ing adult and should know better. Give me one good reason why this guy deserves any respect whatsoever? Just because he's a policeman doesn't automatically grant respect, respect must be earnt and why should it be when he's showing the kid none whatsoever. God knows how many cities in the world have skateboarders, mine was packed full of them in the high street & what did they do? They built a half-pipe behind one of the shopping centres, out of the way of the public & the high street cleared. Positive action = positive results

Age has nothing to do with it. So what if he was 14. He knew what he was doing. You think he didn't provoke him?

As you said respect must be earned. The kid obviously didn't respect to the officer, so why should he be offered any as well? Whilst the other 2 kids did, and in turn they were treated like adults and talked to rationally.

Umbrello    1

That officer is a moron. You don't have to call them officer or sir. You can say 'man' or 'dude' all you want, it's a way people talk.

Hell-In-A-Handbasket    277

Because he has a job that he " Willingly " puts his life on the line from clock In/Out. same goes with the Military.

Give me one good reason why this guy deserves any respect whatsoever?

I work on computers, i dont Deserve respect, same goes with 99% of anybody else.

besied @ the end of the video they were calling their parents, nothing was done about the officer then by the parents/children, so obviously there is something not shown in the video, as i doubt they just NOW decided to air it, im sure they showed their parents the video immediately after it was made, unless they were hiding something

GrimReeper    2

Youtube link

Youtube vid on the news http://wjz.com/local/youtube.salvatore.rivieri.2.651552.html

This dude in my opinion was going on a power trip because he carries a gun, has a badge and thinks he is 'special' and deserves your respect no matter his attitude because of his job. He got suspended with pay (isnt that just a vacation/ paid leave?) Hopefully he gets fired :) Yes they were breaking the law but he was still way out of line in my opinion.

EchoNoise    1
Anyway, back to the video...I just wish this would happen more often. Maybe it would sort out some of the problems society is experiencing.

Hahahaha, your funny.

prawnjoe    0
Does anyone know what happened with the officer? I'm curious if there is a lawsuit or anything.

He was suspended and moved to a desk job after being investigated. I posted a link to the article earlier in the thread.

Tantawi    181

wtf :s

Trong    3

He says don't get defensive but he's the one freaking out? The cop is so damn stupid.

Lqv2015    35

Reminds me of this funny clip.

:laugh:

Randolph    17

F*ck the police.

They are pigs and ARE a disgrace to society. New York has it the worst.

I chill with skateboarders and BMXers everday. We ride/skate around a train station in a town nearby. Want to know why? Because there is NO skateparks anywhere. Thats THE problem with society today. I recall 2 police officers grabbed this one kid we didn't know, and he elbowed one cob n the chest and broke free from the other and ran away with his skateboard. I lol'd because I found it hilarious.

The closest skatepark to my house is 30 mins to a hour away. I don't think so. :) (N)

Hum    6,933

Maryland - The Baltimore Police Department suspended a police officer after a video surfaced on the Internet showing the officer berating two kids for skateboarding, putting one of them in a headlock and pushing the boy on the concrete.

The video shows Officer Salvatore Rivieri approach the kids at the Inner Harbor of Baltimore, the area where they apparently were skateboarding. The kids tell Rivieri they didn't know they couldn't skateboard there.

"You back-talk me, I'm not your father," Rivieri says. "You hear me? I'm not your father. You give that attitude to your father. You give it to me, I'll smack you upside the head. Shut your mouth, I'm talking."

Rivieri was suspended until an internal investigation is complete, Sterling Clifford, a spokesman for the Baltimore Police Department, told FOX News.

"Obviously there is behavior there that raised concerns," Clifford said. "It's not behavior that's acceptable and encouraged within the police department.

In the video, after Rivieri pushes the kid on the ground, he takes his skateboard and puts it in his patrol vehicle.

When he returns, he points his finger in the kid's face.

"Obviously your parents don't put a foot in your butt quite enough because you don't understand the meaning of respect," Rivieri says. "First of all, you better learn how to speak. I'm not 'man,' I'm not 'dude.' I am Officer Rivieri. The sooner you learn that, the longer you're going to live in this world. Because you go around doing this kind of stuff, somebody's going to kill you."

The kid repeatedly tells Rivieri that he "didn't do anything," saying he wants to call his mom.

Phone calls seeking comment from the police union were not immediately returned.

The video, from last July, surfaced on the Internet recently. Clifford said a member of the media e-mailed the clip to the police department late Sunday.

Rivieri is confined to administrative work on his suspension with pay.

Baltimore Mayor Sheila Dixon said she was disappointed after watching the video, Clifford said.

"We've invested a lot of time and effort and energy trying to build a stronger relationship between the citizens of Baltimore and the police department," Clifford said. "An incident like this obviously has the potential to undo this work."

YouTube link

source

jwjw1    93

I'll agree the 'Dude' was a bit out of line and probably deserved his suspension to 're-think' his approach. I'm not sure about the kids father..when he said he doesn't have one...either by death or he gave up and left...but no doubt some attitude adjustment is lacking in the younger generation....using the phrase 'someone will kill you' by the officer was completly out of line..but not 'impossible' these days...Officer just lost his cool and ended up the one showing 'ignorance'

2 of the 3 knew to shutup and listen...but its that 3rd one missing a few brain cells that makes the news and stirs the honets nest among the conservatives and liberals....LOL

zivan56    22

That guy should be fired immediately and face charges of abuse of authority and assault. Makes me sick...these people are supposed to protect people, not make their own opinions the law. Clearly not following any procedures or what he was taught to do.

shakey    1,127

should be fired and what ever else comes with abusing the power of the law, especially on a minor.

azz0r_wugg    1

Eh in my honest opinion hes not out of line.

If kids can get away with being ignorant douchebags they will, this guy wouldn't stand for it so he's fired.

Figures with our ###### system in place.

ISU-Clone    0

Yeah cuz a lack of skateparks is the greatest problem society faces today, and it is totally acceptable to assault an officer of the law...

fail.jpg

Tha Bloo Monkee    591

/\ Assault an officer? What are you talking about!? That didn't look like assault to me.

God, it boils my blood watching this.

Same here. What a f***** powertripper. I'd be furious if this happened to me. The kid didn't even do anything that deserved that damned cop to push him on the ground n rape him of his skateboard. Owell, at least they got the video and now the parents can see how big of an a**hole he is.

I hope the cop sees this thread. I hate powertrippers like that.

He was suspended and moved to a desk job after being investigated.

Good. He deserves more than that tho, because I can guarantee this isn't the first time he acted like that.

Shasoosh    43

A police man in shorts.

There's a good idea.

Biotoxic_hazard_835    151

That officer should take some time off and get enrolled in and Anger Management Program. His attitude was completely unprofessional and aggressive and should be dealt with by his superiors. On the other hand the kid had it coming to him because as the officer was asking him if he could hear him he kept banging the skateboard against the floor and using words like "dude" and "man" instead of "officer" or "sir" which to me are the correct and respectful way to address an Officer of the Law. This situation could been avoided altogether if the kid respected the law.

kezzzs    1

There are ways and ways of dealing with things and that was completely unnecessary, a complete power trip and a total jobs worth! Because he's a cop does not mean that he automatically achieves respect. He wouldn't have acted like that against an adult and there is no reason for him to act like that against a child. Absolute control freak.

One interesting thing I notice from the discussion is that people from America generally seem to believe the cop was in the right and people from the UK and Europe seem to find it disgusting! Obviously exceptions to the rule but it's interesting to note

PricklyPoo    9

Ya the cop acts like he should be getting some "special" respect. He isn't any different or above anyone else.

Not like you have to be special to be a cop. :/