Conexant High Definition Audio drivers

Apart from the security updates, Microsoft has released today a new set of Conexant High Definition Audio drivers for Windows Vista.

Conexant always had problems with the latest Windows version, like inability to switch between optical and alalog output on a dual interface jack on many models incorporated to Laptop models. Multichannel audio devices by conexant, actually worked as 2 channel stereo devices under Windows Vista.

This new set looks promising, but use with extreme caution and make sure you make a restore point before installing these. They may not be compatible with your laptop's conexant audio device (like HP Pavilion DV93xx models), and even prevent your OS to rollback or install your old trustworthy drivers.

If you have trouble after installing the latest conexant drivers, System Restore is the only solution to make your device work again.

• 3 weeks later...
Apart from the security updates, Microsoft has released today a new set of Conexant High Definition Audio drivers for Windows Vista.

Conexant always had problems with the latest Windows version, like inability to switch between optical and alalog output on a dual interface jack on many models incorporated to Laptop models. Multichannel audio devices by conexant, actually worked as 2 channel stereo devices under Windows Vista.

This new set looks promising, but use with extreme caution and make sure you make a restore point before installing these. They may not be compatible with your laptop's conexant audio device (like HP Pavilion DV93xx models), and even prevent your OS to rollback or install your old trustworthy drivers.

If you have trouble after installing the latest conexant drivers, System Restore is the only solution to make your device work again.

Thanks for the info, but I did not find the update for Conexant in my windows update list, could you please tell me how I can get the update installed mannually.

Under the current version of the audio driver, there is only one option (two channel) for SPDIF format in my HP dv9410 laptop, no 5.1 output could be selected, it seems that many other people got the same problem. I hope there will be new driver that can fix this problem.

Thankfully, Microsoft removed this update.

Like you, I only have 2 channel audio on this multichannel soundcard, but it's better than no audio at all. Conexant has yet to build proper Vista drivers, that's why HP started using Realtek after our models.

I tried using the drivers that were available on WU, but when I restarted my computer, Windows couldn't detect my sound card. I had to rollback to the original drivers (from HP)... *sigh* back to popping, static-y sound.

Thankfully, Microsoft removed this update.

Like you, I only have 2 channel audio on this multichannel soundcard, but it's better than no audio at all. Conexant has yet to build proper Vista drivers, that's why HP started using Realtek after our models.

Does the Realtek driver work for HP dv9000 seires? Why HP could not resolve this known problem for such a long time?

It's not HP's problem. It's conexant's. If your HP has a conexant soundcard, you have to use conexant drivers. Realtek drivers wouldn't work on conexant soundcard. Your laptop has conexant, and unfortunately that's the latest drivers available, and has some issues like the 2-channel only output.

Ok, is Conexant able to resolve this problem, or Conexant is just a small company and there is no hope to get 5 channle sound under Vista untill we finally get a new laptop. By the way, I still believe that HP should take some responsibilities since they chose the Conexant chip.

I thought that since conexant is one of the only 2 independent audio chip manufacturers for on-board sound, I should have high hopes. But after almost a year of waiting, I believe they'll never fix it.

@ HP's responsibilities comment, I believe that as well. HP on the other hand says: "You've got audio, so it's no big deal. There are no drivers available yet to address your issues under Windows Vista"

Too bad for a "HP Pavilion Entertainment PC".

Also, I found out that HP laptops with the Realtek HD Audio (some models like dv9660), don't have an SPDIF out, so they can't have multichannel audio, ever!

Maybe it's Vista's fault. Found this article:

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,39029441,49287112,00.htm

That has nothing to do with this (the article also overstates the problem, all that happened in Vista is DirectSound hardware acceleration is gone, which means no DirectSound EAX).

Vista is completely capable of outputting 5.1 audio (though sadly no higher for the time being). This is Conexant's problem, plain and simple. Not surprising really, they still refuse to support their TV tuners with 64 bit drivers too. It's a crappy company that needs to just die already.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I need some help. I have a HP DV1000t notebook and recently installed Vista with SP1. I installed all the drivers for Vista from the HP website. The conexant driver installed fine but I have no audio output from my speakers. It had been working fine under XP. The audio only works if I plug headphones into the the notebook and I can hear audio fine.

Is this a driver issue?

Thanks,

IF

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am so happy to at least finally find people with this issue. I record a lot of audio a lot of different ways so this problem has been a killer for me for the past year or more. my driver right now is 4.33.1.60

JimmyT or anyone else, I want to thank you and let you know I will be eagerly watching this thread so please post here if you find ANY information on the situation.