Norton Ghost 14

A week before its official release, Softpedia brings you Norton Ghost 14!

Norton Ghost provides advanced backup and recovery for your computer. Protect your documents, financial records, presentations, photos, music, videos, historical documents, or any other kinds of data you keep on your computer by making a backup of your computer's entire hard disk. Or, limit your backup to include only those files and folders that mean the most to you.

You can schedule backups to capture your changes automatically as you work from day to day. Or start a backup manually at any time. You can also easily configure Norton Ghost to run a backup in response to specific events. For example, a backup can be started when a particular application is started, or when a specified amount of new data has been added to

the drive.

When you experience a problem with your computer, you can restore a file, folder, or an entire drive, to return your computer to a previous, working state with the operating system, applications, and data files intact. Or if you accidently delete a personal file, get it back with a few simple steps.

Using easy-to-follow wizards, set up fast and reliable backups that run while you continue to work. Or schedule your backups to run after hours when you are no longer using your computer.

When disaster strikes, Norton Ghost helps you recover your computer from the effects of many common problems, including

? Virus attacks: Damage might be done before a virus is quarantined.

? Faulty software installations: Some software can negatively affect your computer's performance, slowing it down to the point that opening programs or documents can require too much time. But once installed, uninstalling a product might not recover unintentional damage done during an install.

? Hard drive failure: Data can become corrupted on your system drive (typically C), making it impossible to start your operating system

? Files accidentally deleted or overwritten: Accidental deletion of files is common, but often costly.

? Corrupted files: Individual files and folders can become corrupted by viruses, or when a program used to modify them encounters an error

40 screenshots to satisfy your curiosity and a 30-day trial if you wanna try it yourself. All here!

Faulty software installations: Some software can negatively affect your computer's performance, slowing it down to the point that opening programs or documents can require too much time. But once installed, uninstalling a product might not recover unintentional damage done during an install.

Like Norton AntiVirus/Internet Security for example? :)

Ghost 14 looks alright, but IMO Acronis True Image is better.

what is "TI". Can you boot from DOS? (yea, you read right)

scroll up....TI=True Image a superior product from acronis, and yes you can boot into dos with the recovery disk to restore your images

Sorry, but TI is definitely inferior to Ghost. Annoying click through wizard to change job parameters, image consolidation that takes HOURS and HOURS, forced verification of ALL images instead of the most recent one, slow performance, minimal job scheduling options, inaccurate job completion estimation, poor Linux based recovery boot CD with lack of drivers for modern SATA controllers. Ghost suffers from none of these problems.

BTW, neither of these imaging programs has the ability to boot from DOS. TI's boot CD is based on Linux, Ghost's is based on VISTA PE. Forget DOS; DOS is dead and gone.

scroll up....TI=True Image a superior product from acronis

Acronyms on this days are really annoying. More when they are created on the fly like this one... Americans... or ppl who act like them... (I wonder who are the worse)

Forget DOS; DOS is dead and gone.

not with norton 11 and for sure not for me and a lot of ppl ;)

Sorry, but TI is definitely inferior to Ghost. Annoying click through wizard to change job parameters, image consolidation that takes HOURS and HOURS, forced verification of ALL images instead of the most recent one, slow performance, minimal job scheduling options, inaccurate job completion estimation, poor Linux based recovery boot CD with lack of drivers for modern SATA controllers. Ghost suffers from none of these problems.

BTW, neither of these imaging programs has the ability to boot from DOS. TI's boot CD is based on Linux, Ghost's is based on VISTA PE. Forget DOS; DOS is dead and gone.

Nub, dos is not dead, I use ghost everyday have to be in dos to boot off the nic in pxe, Apparently you wouldnt know much about that kinda stuff since you seem to jump to conclusions without a proper though process.

Acronyms on this days are really annoying. More when they are created on the fly like this one... Americans... or ppl who act like them... (I wonder who are the worse)

what is 'ppl' ? it's not in the dictonary, and it's not an acronym....crazy american wannabes. hehe :p

i think someone posted a question about this, can this very software be used to create those 'recovery partitions' that the manufacturers (like dell) use? The ones that are normally hidden, so that you can restore the computer to a previous point within a few clicks?

Anyone know where I can find more info (like documentation) for this Ghost 14 (short of buying it)? I've been wanting to see how it works with modern SATA controllers. Will it work with RAID 0?

what is "TI". Can you boot from DOS? (yea, you read right)

True Image doesn't boot into "DOS" it boots into IsoLinux and runs from there it is MUCH faster this way because DOS doesn't have CPU idle managment... which linux does ontop of other enhancmenents you get from having a threadable kernel.. but you can also make a Bart-PE windows boot CD to boot into a minimal windows startup and run it from there... which is MUCH faster then the IsoLinux one also... and you can put your own divers into that to make it even more speedy... I used ghost and TI and I get stats like this backing up 15GB of data and restoring it

Ghost (from boot cd only, never did a windows backup) - 35 Minutes to backup / 20 to restore

TrueImage 11 - Windows Backup Max compression on a Q6600 (4 threads running on backup) 5!!! Minutes

TrueImage 11 ISOLinux restore (boot CD) - 11 Minutes to restore

TrueImage 11 Bart-PE with Intel RAID drivers on Boot CD - 5 Minutes to restore

A bash at Americans for no reason while you do the same thing yourself :rolleyes:

the last i knew Ghost was better but that was back in the days of Ghost 2003 or so (version 8.x) ... so ill just assume from the comments on here that acronis true image is better nowadays ;)

[snip]

Ghost (from boot cd only, never did a windows backup) - 35 Minutes to backup / 20 to restore

TrueImage 11 - Windows Backup Max compression on a Q6600 (4 threads running on backup) 5!!! Minutes

TrueImage 11 ISOLinux restore (boot CD) - 11 Minutes to restore

TrueImage 11 Bart-PE with Intel RAID drivers on Boot CD - 5 Minutes to restore

What PC you got there? A 486 or something? With Norton Ghost 2003 from DOS I do a backup of a 15GB partition (around 3-5GB occupied) in 5 minutes top and a restore in 2-3 minutes and I don't have a ultra-mega-Uber PC.

Acronis True Image 11 Home costs $49.99 while Norton Ghost 12.0 (latest version not available) costs $69.99 (on their online shop). I'd honestly would give another 20-40$ to get a professional program, something that won't let e down.

I see no one asked: How did Softpedia got the file (or url to it) 1 week before the official release?

Edited by caesar

I used to use Ghost a while ago. I stopped when it gave me a few unsuccessful restores of critical partitions. I upgraded to Acronis TrueImage and have never looked back. It's been much more reliable (not one problem in years of use) and faster for me. But, to each his own.

what is 'ppl' ? it's not in the dictonary, and it's not an acronym....crazy american wannabes. hehe :p

i think someone posted a question about this, can this very software be used to create those 'recovery partitions' that the manufacturers (like dell) use? The ones that are normally hidden, so that you can restore the computer to a previous point within a few clicks?

With True Image Home, you an create a recovery partition yes.

What PC you got there? A 486 or something? With Norton Ghost 2003 from DOS I do a backup of a 15GB partition (around 3-5GB occupied) in 5 minutes top and a restore in 2-3 minutes and I don't have a ultra-mega-Uber PC.

Acronis True Image 11 Home costs $49.99 while Norton Ghost 12.0 (latest version not available) costs $69.99 (on their online shop). I'd honestly would give another 20-40$ to get a professional program, something that won't let e down.

I see no one asked: How did Softpedia got the file (or url to it) 1 week before the official release?

The Torrents are out there :alien: :shiftyninja: :alien:

SirEvan: True.. true..

Gabe3: No, it will make a backup of the occupied space, not of the entire disk (occupied or not).

Hmm, My C drive is 160gb total in size capacity. I'm using 97gb of that 160gb.

Hmm, My C drive is 160gb total in size capacity. I'm using 97gb of that 160gb.

The image will be compressed. It'll be a large file, but it won't be 97GB (unless you want it to be). I know Acronis TrueImage has multiple compression levels, and I'm assuming Ghost does as well.