• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Norton Ghost 14

Gabe3    12

Think it would get small enough to fit on a dvd or no? I doubt it. If anyone can open up there program and give a guesstimate it would be great.

wase4711    0

if you are using 97 gigs of your hard drive for files, and OS,and everything else, your Ghost backup will probably be about 50-60 gigs..

Yes, it comes with a recovery/boot disk

it takes me about 20 minutes to restore my system from the back up, about 40 gigs

it takes about 30 minutes to create a backup of the same size..

this program restores Vista perfectly, even with RAID hard drives, so I strongly recommend it!

Guest Jeremy of Many   

I use Acronis True Image.

I have never used Norton Ghost.

Just because I have not tried it does not mean I doubt its capabilities.

Many people have told me it is nothing like NAV or NIS.

I am picky about some things but not others, but when it comes to backing up my OS, Acronis does the job.

As long as I have a daily backup of my and my wife's HDDs, I am comfortable.

I backup only my system files and program files on C. I have two other harddrives; one for games and one for storage.

I backup C to D.

Once you find something that works and makes you happy, why change?

mule    4

I used ghost for years since version 4 or something.

It was a nice program for the time but got stuck until Acronis came out with TI which was a real breakthrough at the time.

Restoring on-the-fly and the Universal Restore for WinXP are just great.

TI is great for home and small office backups but lakes a decent centralized management. Much needed at my work.

I will take a look at Ghost 14 to see if it can stand with TI standards and maybe even improve some disadvantages mentioned earlier.

Fuzzbling    0

I use Acronis True Image as well. Another favorite is Setup Studio for creating Windows install disks.

neufuse    3,889
What PC you got there? A 486 or something? With Norton Ghost 2003 from DOS I do a backup of a 15GB partition (around 3-5GB occupied) in 5 minutes top and a restore in 2-3 minutes and I don't have a ultra-mega-Uber PC.

Acronis True Image 11 Home costs $49.99 while Norton Ghost 12.0 (latest version not available) costs $69.99 (on their online shop). I'd honestly would give another 20-40$ to get a professional program, something that won't let e down.

I see no one asked: How did Softpedia got the file (or url to it) 1 week before the official release?

I'm pretty sure a Q6600 is NOT a 486... and you said 3-5GB occupied... I said I backed UP 15GB... so if your 3 to 4GB partition took 5 minutes then how hard is it believing that my 15GB partition took 20?...

I've always wondered about one of these programs, if my main hard drive has 97gb of total space used for my OS. Then I would need 97gb of free space to make a backup right?

No, they use compression... I can back up 15GB of data to about a 8GB image file... on maximum compression... you can also turn off compression but then its a 1 to 1 backup and will take all the same amount of space

Nozavi    0
I see no one asked: How did Softpedia got the file (or url to it) 1 week before the official release?

@SirEvan too: Well I cannot tell you my secret, but I did try to find out if was made public in any way, before posting it here and no, I didn't find it with google or on any torrent websites...

For me it's really sad that only a few people appreciate the large number of daily updates that we post first, before any other download site and sometimes even before the producer has a chance to make it public...

heh, so did they just skip version 13 because they're superstitious? last I saw they were only up to version 12...

Yeap

What I want to know is this:

Does Ghost 14 come with a Recovery Disc that lets you create images that you can restore from anywhere (and will back up and restore Vista successfully)?

The trial version: no

TimePiece    0
What PC you got there? A 486 or something? With Norton Ghost 2003 from DOS I do a backup of a 15GB partition (around 3-5GB occupied) in 5 minutes top and a restore in 2-3 minutes and I don't have a ultra-mega-Uber PC.

Acronis True Image 11 Home costs $49.99 while Norton Ghost 12.0 (latest version not available) costs $69.99 (on their online shop). I'd honestly would give another 20-40$ to get a professional program, something that won't let e down.

It was posted at http://www.kaldata.net/comments.php?catid=1&id=17716 first...

wase4711    0

I used to hate Ghost as well, and switched to Acronis for a long time; then, it was no longer able to restore my raid setup when trying to restore from booting..I switched to Ghost 12, which, has no problem with my setup, and it restores/backs up TONS faster than Acronis!

I guess which ever one works for your particular pc is the one you should go with..But, Norton seems to do it thing ALOT quicker for me..

Glowstick    3

Looks like it's made for dolts.

randomnut    0

+1 for Acronis True Image. We've recently switched to this from Ghost at work, it's just better in every conceivable way.

drugo    6

hi

can i backup with ghost 14 using the cd boot or should i backup only under windows

in the old version i could backup only online and restore with the boot cd

caesar    3

Indeed TimePiece.

On Softpedia's page dedicated to this it states 'Last Updated: February 13th, 2008, 18:25 GMT' while on Kaldata's pages it states '13 Feb 2008 - 14:02' :) Good find. :)

Buzz99    8
What I want to know is this:

Does Ghost 14 come with a Recovery Disc that lets you create images that you can restore from anywhere (and will back up and restore Vista successfully)?

True image will do that

Brandon C.    116

I'm pretty happy with Ghost 14. It will serve the purpose I need.

And no, I didn't download it illegally. I beta tested it and they finally gave us our keys for the retail.

Carlos11    0
I used to hate Ghost as well, and switched to Acronis for a long time; then, it was no longer able to restore my raid setup when trying to restore from booting..I switched to Ghost 12, which, has no problem with my setup, and it restores/backs up TONS faster than Acronis!

I guess which ever one works for your particular pc is the one you should go with..But, Norton seems to do it thing ALOT quicker for me..

I had problems with Acronis saying the image was corrupted (once all of my 4 images were corrupted... what?) so it was no reliable even in a simple PC setup (no RAID or something like that, just a simple and small system partition).

After that I could not trust the software anymore.

Maybe I'll try Ghost now... Let's see.

H82LUZ    0

True Image (or if you download MAXBlast) will let you boot off a USB device also.TrueImage is way better then Ghost.I downloaded TI and the head cheese actually phoned me an hour after i filled out the download sing up.

drugo    6
I'm pretty happy with Ghost 14. It will serve the purpose I need.

And no, I didn't download it illegally. I beta tested it and they finally gave us our keys for the retail.

can i backup with the boot cd or should i only backup my data online(running xp)?

Daedalus    0

I just tried out Ghost 14 and it looks pretty good if you are only interesting in a full drive image...

However, the individual file and folder backup is very limited. When trying out the file and folder restore, I could not find a way of restoring a whole folder, it would only let me select individual files through a search interface. I even looked through the manual to see if I was missing something, but it appears that it is simply not possible!

If somebody knows how I can do this, please let me know. Otherwise I'll be going back to TrueImage or Genie Backup Manager.

torrentthief    313

where's the changelog for ghost v14 compared to v12? also hope you guys can do a comparison of ghost 14 compared to latest acronis as most of you guys are comparing it to v10 or v8 which isnt fair.

Anyone know if ghost 14 is multithreaded? whats the max compression like compared to acronis, hope someone can check these out, i'd like to backup everything once i've installed xp pro sp3 integrated + office 2007 sp1 and other programs i use.

wase4711    0
I just tried out Ghost 14 and it looks pretty good if you are only interesting in a full drive image...

However, the individual file and folder backup is very limited. When trying out the file and folder restore, I could not find a way of restoring a whole folder, it would only let me select individual files through a search interface. I even looked through the manual to see if I was missing something, but it appears that it is simply not possible!

If somebody knows how I can do this, please let me know. Otherwise I'll be going back to TrueImage or Genie Backup Manager.

In ghost there is a "recovery point browser" that you can run to restore specific files and folders to your machine, from any recovery point that you have created.

Daedalus    0
In ghost there is a "recovery point browser" that you can run to restore specific files and folders to your machine, from any recovery point that you have created.

Does that apply to "file and folder" backups or just full disk images?

wase4711    0

I dont know, since I only do full system backups....

dosha    0

norton Ghost 14 and Vista service pack 1 are incompatible for some reason anyone else experiencing problems with these two combo?

BoDEAN    68

Ghost will never compete with Acronis.