Norton Ghost 14

Ghost is ok TI is way better. Quicker backup times with plenty of options. I tried TI never looked back.

I'm the complete opposite, tried TI and gave it a fair go but in the end when straight back to Ghost. For me personally, Ghost is faster and has all the options I need. Call me mad if you will, but I'm Ghost all the way :happy:

norton Ghost 14 and Vista service pack 1 are incompatible for some reason anyone else experiencing problems with these two combo?

Working fine here on Vista SP1 x64.

What sort of problems are you having?

Working fine here on Vista SP1 x64.

What sort of problems are you having?

Product

Data Objects

Problem

Program Compatibility

Date

2/14/2008 10:29 AM

Status

Report Sent

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: PCA2

Problem Signature 01: VProConsole_.exe

Problem Signature 02: 14.0.0.24815

Problem Signature 03: Data Objects

Problem Signature 04: Norton Ghost

Problem Signature 05: Symantec Corporation

Problem Signature 06: 200

Problem Signature 07: -1

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)

appcompat.txt

Tab453F.tmp

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 172050931

When i am doing full back it says can't connect to local service and disconnects and ask me to reconnect to local service.

TrueImage is awesome. Secure Zone and Try & Decide are killer features imho.

Nothing beats Drive Image 2002. And for Windows Vista nothing like ShadowProtect Desktop Edition 3.1.0.3.

Looks like it's made for dolts.

It *is* made for dolts, and that's why I love it! If something isn't working right with your backup, Ghost (and Backup Exec System Recovery, the server rebranding) will beat you over the head with a club until you fix it. I also believe that taking backups of indivual files/folders is made difficult on purpose; it's a product meant to back up *everything*, because that's the best type of backup to have.

The Restore Anywhere (lets you restore your backup image onto damn near anything with enough RAM) has saved my bacon once already, and I expect it will do so again in the future. I believe that Acronis has a similar option for their enterprise-grade software (I haven't used it yet, but I'd like to give it a try in the next month or so), but there's still no such option for the home version as far as I'm able to discern.

Hopefully Symantec hasn't bodged this version too badly, because I absolutely loved the last one. :yes:

Symantec bought out Drive Image and renamed it to Ghost.

More details:

DriveImage (PQDI) is a software disk cloning package for Intel-based computers. The software was developed and distributed by the former PowerQuest Corporation. DriveImage version 7 became the basis for Norton Ghost 9.0, which was released to retail markets in August 2004. Ghost was a competing product, developed by Binary Research, before Symantec bought the company in 1998. This also explains the different file extensions used for Ghost image files: formerly it was .gho, now in versions 10 and above it is .v2i.

DriveImage version 7 was the last version published under the PowerQuest corporate banner. It was also the first version to include a native Windows interface for cloning an active system partition; prior versions required a reboot into a DOS-like environment in order to clone the active partition. In order to clone active partitions without requiring a reboot, DriveImage 7 employed a volume snapshot device driver which was licensed from StorageCraft.

DriveImage 2002 (version 6) is the last release that allows the creation of a rescue set on floppy disk, which can be used to create and restore an image.

Drive Image 2002 (version 6.0) was a great app, nice and lightweight then they came out with Drive Image 7 which was also the basis for ghost 9.0 which was a bloated mess. Drive Image 2002 could fit on floppies!

I still use my "old" ghost version (last one that worked for Win9x) and use the dos / ghost backup to make an image of my hard drive. Since Vista did not go with a new file system (still NTFS) works perfect.

Install "clean" copy of windows, no drivers, no patches, but just make sure Vista is activated.

Make my "Base" ghost image.

Then install all software that requires internet "activation" and activate it. Still do minimal drivers, patches (just enough to get software that requires activation to work.

Make my "Windows" Ghost image.

From there load up on drivers, hotfixes, software ext.

Every 6-8 months or if I'm having issues, default back to my "windows" image, update any of the programs, add new ones that require activation, make a revised "windows" ghost image.

Every major service pack, I'll start from scratch again.

Nub, dos is not dead, I use ghost everyday have to be in dos to boot off the nic in pxe, Apparently you wouldnt know much about that kinda stuff since you seem to jump to conclusions without a proper though process.

Well, just because you are still stuck in the dark ages using DOS, doesn't make it mainstream. Unless your OS is Windows 98, DOS really doesn't come in to play anymore. DOS is not present in any of the modern operating systems used today.

I still use my "old" ghost version (last one that worked for Win9x) and use the dos / ghost backup to make an image of my hard drive. Since Vista did not go with a new file system (still NTFS) works perfect.

Install "clean" copy of windows, no drivers, no patches, but just make sure Vista is activated.

Try the inbuilt version of Backup in Vista. They added a "Complete PC Backup" feature that creates an image of your PC. Unlike Ghost it's also compressed to save space. I built Vista just once then when all appropriate drivers were installed used Backup to create the image. If I ever need to reinstall I can do this within 5 minutes.

• 4 months later...
norton Ghost 14 and Vista service pack 1 are incompatible for some reason anyone else experiencing problems with these two combo?

Not sure if it's SP1 or not but I've just found that on a dual-boot system where Vista is the default booting from the E: drive and I try to do a computer backup while running Vista it will tell me that can only be done in the recovery mode. But on a dual-boot system where XP is the default booting from the E: drive I can do the backups just fine while running XP.