Torrent connection issue - "No incoming connections"

For a while now, whenever I start up my torrents, a little yellow icon appears in the status tray and says that there are "No incoming connections." Further investigation says that the port I am using for incoming connections "is not forwarded properly" so that it is blocked.

However, I have already checked on all my devices that the proper ports are being forwarded, and I have a static IP address. I have a ZyXel P-600R-ELNK (which curiously enough, does not show up on the ZyXel website) and a Linksys WRT54G. My Windows Firewall is configured to allow my torrent application through. I've tried disabling my anti-virus. I've tried different torrent clients. I talked to my ISP (Earthlink) to make sure they don't block certain kinds of communication, and they told me they don't.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what is causing this problem. Is there anyone out there who can give some advice? It would be GREATLY appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Kusnan: Thanks for the suggestion, but my router and client already have UPnP enabled. And setting my modem to allow for it didn't fix the situation.

rpger: Trust me, I've checked over things a thousand times. In fact, that link you gave is the one I used as a reference while setting everything up. I'm pretty sure that the port forwarding message is just a catch-all error message and that really, it could be other things as well that are blocking the traffic.

I one-upped that and just connected my modem directly to the computer, and told it to forward all ports to my IP address.

I STILL have the problem. What gives?

Edit: D'oh! And now it works. But I'm not sure what I did, since it wasn't working a few seconds ago...

You do realise that it takes a few mins for the light to go green, right? Nobody will connect to you in a torrent swarm right away, you have to give it time.

Put your computer into the DMZ of the router and tell your modem to allow ALL traffic through.

that is bad advice, do not just open your pc up directly to the net.

google up on how to properly port-forward, and just open the ports required to run the application. UPnP should work, but I perfer control over the open ports going into my network

Edited by WolfDV

that is bad advice, do not just open your pc up directly to the net.

google up on how to properly port-forward, and just open the ports required to run the application. UPnP should work, but I perfer control over the open ports going into my network

It was only a suggestion to rule out the modem/router being the cause of the block. Besides, it's only a problem if he doesn't have a decent firewall installed on his PC.

Kusnan: Thanks for the suggestion, but my router and client already have UPnP enabled. And setting my modem to allow for it didn't fix the situation.

rpger: Trust me, I've checked over things a thousand times. In fact, that link you gave is the one I used as a reference while setting everything up. I'm pretty sure that the port forwarding message is just a catch-all error message and that really, it could be other things as well that are blocking the traffic.

You're forwarding a port for ?Torrent and using UPnP? Use one or the other in the router config. That could be causing problems if you have UPnP port mapping enabled in ?Torrent.

Thanks for the help everyone, and sorry for taking so long to get back. Life.

So, yea, like I said, modem alone lets stuff through, and yea, thanks Kushan for that point about it being a few minutes. I'm guessing that means that the problem has been narrowed down to the router then.

And Yochanan, I disabled UPnP in my torrent settings to see if that clash you mentioned is the problem. It doesn't seem to be working right now, but I'll give it a bit more. Later if it's still not working, I'll switch to UPnP and turn off the port forwarding.

Again, thanks everyone.

Wow, so much rubbish in this thread.

Some questions:

Are you using your 54G as an access point or a router?

What device did you forward ports on?

Edited by TurboTuna

Wow, so much rubbish in this thread.

Some questions:

Are you using your 54G as an access point or a router?

What device did you forward ports on?

So what's rubbish and what isn't? We're all trying to help the guy, maybe you should clear it up if you know more.

It is setup as a router, not a gateway, and it was forwarded on the router.

So the 54G is setup as a router? as in, you have your zyxcel device in client/bridged mode and that is plugged into your WAN port on the 54G? I think you double natting. but you need to clarify how your setup is first..