LCD TV Resolution

Does anybody know how to find out the native resolution of a LCD TV panel?

I've connected it to my PC via VGA and it reports that it is 1366 x 768 however when trying this mode on the PC it is clearly not the native res - the picture looks horrid.

1024x768 however looks fantastic. It is perfectly crisp and there are no stretching artefacts.

Clearly the vertical resolution is 768 lines, but how can I find the horizontal resolution? So far I've tried:

1152x768

1280x768

1360x768

1365x768

1366x768

Any ideas would be welcomed! :blink: Are there any tools to probe this kind of thing from the device itself?

Stating the model number would be of use.

However, it should be listed within the specifications - which in turn are usually within the manual or on the manufacturers website!

Yes stupid omissions. The TV is made by Medion/Tevion. The box says 1366x768 is native. Nothing in the manual (which is badly translated from German- I think).

Model number is apparently 3201TS (not much on Google), and it allegedly does 720P and 1080i, though I've yet to test these.

I got it from Aldi the other week for ?350 - not bad even if the hi-def performance is pap.

Thanks

You need a DVI connection more then likely to achieve you TVs natural resolution. Especially 720p.

You wont be able to get that using a VGA connection.

Yep, VGA offer higher resolution but quality decreases, DVI offer a somewhat lower usually somewhere 720p-1080i with great quality.

You need a DVI connection more then likely to achieve you TVs natural resolution. Especially 720p.

You wont be able to get that using a VGA connection.

What are you talking about? VGA is perfectly fine to get a resolution higher than 720p.

I have my Samsung LCD tv hooked up to my pc with VGA and use 1360x768 resolution and it's perfect. I also have a 50 inch Samsung plasma hooked up through VGA at the same res and it's perfect.

Most likely that Medion LCD doesn't actually have that as a native res. Many old plasmas for example used to be 1024x768 resolution even though they could hande 720p and higher resolutons.

Thanks for the info! I've been trying lots of resolutions with still no perfect result so for the time being I'm having to stick with 1152x768. It's a little stretched horizontally but the vertical resolution is spot on, so perceptually it looks fine.

StevoFC - it is perfect as 1024x768, but the picture is just centred with blank space at the edge.

Thanks for the info! I've been trying lots of resolutions with still no perfect result so for the time being I'm having to stick with 1152x768. It's a little stretched horizontally but the vertical resolution is spot on, so perceptually it looks fine.

StevoFC - it is perfect as 1024x768, but the picture is just centred with blank space at the edge.

Like I said, some LCD sets don't accept their full native resolution over VGA. That's probably what's happening here. I think it's a cost saving measure on the manufacturer's part, though I could be wrong.

When you buy a TV just make sure you check the resolution. They will usually tell you what they support. Thats what I Did with mine. Mine supports 1280 by 720, looks great over VGA. I generally recommend people to avoid the ones that says 1024 by 768

When you buy a TV just make sure you check the resolution. They will usually tell you what they support. Thats what I Did with mine. Mine supports 1280 by 720, looks great over VGA. I generally recommend people to avoid the ones that says 1024 by 768

I agree, however it says 1366x768 on the box for this telly though. It was from a supermarket not a telly shop so the staff didn't really have any details anyway.

I'm not too fussed because it was so cheap, but still it is misleading.

Like I said, some LCD sets don't accept their full native resolution over VGA. That's probably what's happening here. I think it's a cost saving measure on the manufacturer's part, though I could be wrong.

I've come to the conclusion that you're right - I guess the VGA controller inside isn't really up to the job.

What are you talking about? VGA is perfectly fine to get a resolution higher than 720p.

I have my Samsung LCD tv hooked up to my pc with VGA and use 1360x768 resolution and it's perfect. I also have a 50 inch Samsung plasma hooked up through VGA at the same res and it's perfect.

yep, your right!

people get really mixed up in this crap!

Passing singal over VGA to an LCD panel is just fine and infact can surpass the 720P and 1080P standards if set to the native res of the monitor ;)

it is perfect as 1024x768, but the picture is just centred with blank space at the edge.

1024x768 gives 4:3 aspect ratio

1360x768 gives 16:9 (widescreen) ratio

I'm not sure why you can get 1024x768 sharp and clear but not 1360x768.

Try decreasing the height of the image (go one or two notches below 768 and try to keep widescreen ratio, keep it at about 1150+ for the first number). Try 1280x720 or something.

Edited by Zhivago

Does anybody know how to find out the native resolution of a LCD TV panel?

I've connected it to my PC via VGA and it reports that it is 1366 x 768 however when trying this mode on the PC it is clearly not the native res - the picture looks horrid.

1024x768 however looks fantastic. It is perfectly crisp and there are no stretching artefacts.

Clearly the vertical resolution is 768 lines, but how can I find the horizontal resolution? So far I've tried:

1152x768

1280x768

1360x768

1365x768

1366x768

Any ideas would be welcomed! :blink: Are there any tools to probe this kind of thing from the device itself?

The picture looks horrible because of either your video card, and/or VGA. You can search your TV on Google to find the native specs--however, 9 times out of 10, the max resolution is 1360x768 on most 720p advertised televisions.

When I ran my TV through VGA with my old 6800 GT, the picture was pretty bad. I ran it at 1360x768, which is my television's native resolution, but it was still not toleratable, at least for me. When I put in my 8800 GT and used the VGA -> DVI converter, the picture was much better, and looks almost as good as a monitor.

The picture looks horrible because of either your video card, and/or VGA. You can search your TV on Google to find the native specs--however, 9 times out of 10, the max resolution is 1360x768 on most 720p advertised televisions.

When I ran my TV through VGA with my old 6800 GT, the picture was pretty bad. I ran it at 1360x768, which is my television's native resolution, but it was still not toleratable, at least for me. When I put in my 8800 GT and used the VGA -> DVI converter, the picture was much better, and looks almost as good as a monitor.

Seriously, what are you even talking about? An lcd tv is a monitor. The only difference is it has a tuner also. Using a converter isn't going to change anything in terms of quality.

Seriously, what are you even talking about? An lcd tv is a monitor. The only difference is it has a tuner also. Using a converter isn't going to change anything in terms of quality.

No where did I say that the "converter" alters the conversion quality. I said that VGA impacts the quality. I also said my picture is much more clear on my 8800 GT with my television than on my 6800 GT. Additionally, I stated that I had to use a converter on my new video card because it only has a DVI port, but I did not state that the converter had an impact on the visual quality of the conversion. I stated that it lies within the video card and VGA. Some video cards do not convert signal as well as others, and if you had a television with DVI support, then the problem would not exist at all, because analog would no longer be a factor.

Edited by bmaher

No where did I say that the "converter" alters the conversion quality. I said that VGA impacts the quality. I also said my picture is much more clear on my 8800 GT with my television than on my 6800 GT. Additionally, I stated that I had to use a converter on my new video card because it only has a DVI port, but I did not state that the converter had an impact on the visual quality of the conversion. I stated that it lies within the video card and VGA. Some video cards do not convert signal as well as others, and if you had a television with DVI support, then the problem would not exist at all, because analog would no longer be a factor.

Actually, you said:

When I put in my 8800 GT and used the VGA -> DVI converter, the picture was much better, and looks almost as good as a monitor.

...which some people may interpret that the picture quality became better as a result of the converter. That's the logic in your sentence so you can only blame yourself if some people misinterpreted what YOU said.

Edited by bmaher