• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Simple Prayer Brings Man Back to Life

Berserk87    49
Now you need to understand that what you are asking me to do is physically impossible. I either have respect for you and your ideals or I don't have respect for them.

not necessarily respect for peoples beliefs but all your doing is loosing respect by insulting them (i dont actually mean you, as in remix, i mean anyone)

spelling God with a capital...when people dont i would take it as a sign of disrespect.

DrCheese    103
spelling God with a capital...when people dont i would take it as a sign of disrespect.

Why? I don't believe in any god and think that religion is backwards so why should I spell it with a capital, that would imply that I have some respect for something I don't believe in which is somewhat of a contradiction . To me, its just another word and also spelling it with a capital midsentence looks grammatically incorrect to me.

If christians want to spell it with a capital then by all means but I'm not going to simply because they believe/respect something I do not.

Joshie    1,105
Why? I don't believe in any god and think that religion is backwards so why should I spell it with a capital, that would imply that I have some respect for something I don't believe in which is somewhat of a contradiction . To me, its just another word and also spelling it with a capital midsentence looks grammatically incorrect to me.

If christians want to spell it with a capital then by all means but I'm not going to simply because they believe/respect something I do not.

I don't think that's so much about respect as it is good grammar. In that particular religion, 'God' is a proper noun, and unless you want to seem poorly educated (or just lazy), you would capitalize it--just as you would Allah, Buddha, or whatever else.

By referring to the christian-associated proper noun form of the word 'god' with a lower case--if you are making a conscious decision to do so--you are, in fact, expressing either disrespect or distaste by treating the word as if it isn't worthy of correct grammar.

That's...really all there is to it. Afraid to say you're in the wrong this time, and unless you've forgotten first grade english, you don't have much of an excuse for it. :unsure:

remix17    1
not necessarily respect for peoples beliefs but all your doing is loosing respect by insulting them (i dont actually mean you, as in remix, i mean anyone)

Very well. I spell God with capital G because it's grammatically correct. That's the only reason I do it. I have no intention of showing respect for anyone's religious beliefs. And if I wanted to insult them, I would say it directly.

The_Decryptor    1,105

how could uttering either a true statement or a personal opinion possibly be disrespectful? and yes, it is true on some occasions.

Ehh, It was meant more towards the mainstream religions (e.g. Christianity isn't a scam, neither is Islam), Of course it could certainly be somebody's opinion (in that case I disagree)

I'm not talking about cults though (especially the money based cults like Scientology, they most definitely are a scam)

Berserk87    49
Very well. I spell God with capital G because it's grammatically correct. That's the only reason I do it. I have no intention of showing respect for anyone's religious beliefs. And if I wanted to insult them, I would say it directly.
I don't think that's so much about respect as it is good grammar. In that particular religion, 'God' is a proper noun, and unless you want to seem poorly educated (or just lazy), you would capitalize it--just as you would Allah, Buddha, or whatever else.