The Worst Windows Feature

Darran    0
cd-recording feature and the product activation

What is the fuss about product activation? It only takes a click. :huh:

Chrysalis    13

product activation (mass pirating is from leaked corp copies as devilsown proved) hence this feature is useless and just a hassle

newbie style device management(no remove hardware wizard like win2k and auto installing default drivers for new hardware)

stupid gui bugs

low resolutions unavailable now

msn messenger been forced onto the user

ie6 which in my opinion is a lot worse than ie5.5

search dog thingy

most of this could have been solved by 1 extra option when running windows setup, the option would be are you an experienced user yes/no, if yes is selected you get full components options etc. during setup and it disables things like the search dog and auto hiding of extensions and simple file sharing etc.

Zip    0

simple file sharing by default

Not_A_Virus    0

who gives a crap about the dog

i don't think in the year and a half i've had XP i've ever even used Search, thats just nitpicking

loc[a]lhost    2
most of this could have been solved by 1 extra option when running windows setup, the option would be are you an experienced user yes/no, if yes is selected you get full components options etc. during setup and it disables things like the search dog and auto hiding of extensions and simple file sharing etc.

you're right :D

Steven    80

Worst XP Feature....... The Firewall. Only does half the job, whats the point!

marksticks    0
product activation (mass pirating is from leaked corp copies as devilsown proved) hence this feature is useless and just a hassle

newbie style device management(no remove hardware wizard like win2k and auto installing default drivers for new hardware)

stupid gui bugs

search dog thingy

this only takes one or two clicks for people who are legit, and for those who downloaded it. no problem on their side either. whats the hassle?

did you just say "wizard" and not refer to newbie. hah

stupid gui bugs
i haven't noticed any, and you can skin the whole thing

i would like everyone who uses 640x480 to punch themselves in the face, because i can't reach from here.

only takes a couple of clicks to make it not show up anymore

any details? i haven't noticed any, other than the picture thing that bugs me which can be de-activated very easily

search dog thingy

i never use the search option, i use the run command type "cmd" then use "dir filename.* /s /p" if i forgot where i file is

the way i see it, the makers of xp could have done 2 things, tailor it to the experienced users and let the new users figure out how to make it easier for them. or make it nice for the new users because the experienced users should have no problem customizing (and it is very customizable) it just the way they like it.

all you flamers can flame me if you want

Steven    80

You heard it.... Flame Mode On!!!! :devil:

+BudMan    3,743
so instead you would have people renaming iexplore.exe to a file with no extension, then they'd cry Microsoft was to blame in that too.

huh? hiding the file extension has nothing to do with some moron renaming the file. And renaming the file to something other than explorer would have the same effect as changing the extension. So the user can still screw it up, and blame MS.

Darran    0
The really long message ^ :)

I agree with you totally. :D

Not_A_Virus    0
huh? hiding the file extension has nothing to do with some moron renaming the file. And renaming the file to something other than explorer would have the same effect as changing the extension. So the user can still screw it up, and blame MS.

when you show the file extension it becomes renameable along with the actual file name, so you rename "hello.jpg" to just something like "grandma" and don't rename it to "grandma.jpg" you get a file with no extension and hence would be unable to be opened until it was given a proper extension, which your average home user might not figure out and think "OMG M$ ATE MY GRANDMA!!!"

Ironman273    1,096

My opinion about this whole "Windows is dumbed down for newbies" thing:

I think most of us here in Neowin don't realize that we are a very small minority. Windows was made for the masses, and has to cater to them. Most users I know like the easy search feature, which I hate and have turned off. The fact is, I know how to turn it off. If you're the power user that you claim to be, you can change the way Windows works to suit you, even though it is set by default for ease of use to a computer newbie.

Even an option to set it up as a power user at the beginning would backfire. Imagine your mother/grandmother setting up Windows and accidentally choosing expert mode. They would be in GUI hell, without knowing how to get out. Also, this doesn't cover the majority of Windows installations that come preinstalled on computers.

I can understand if you were to complain about a feature that only exists one way in Windows, but most of the things I'm reading here are optional:

Search dog: turn it off

File extensions hidden: turn it off

Product activation: If you're legit, then it should be no hassle. As far as pirating, I'm sure their goal was not to eliminate piracy, just to curb the users that put their Windows CD in their CDRW to make a copy for their friends... again, most users out there are not tech savvy. It's really only been a hassle to people that have had to go out and find Corporate copies and then get unblocked CD-keys...

MSN Messenger: You can say the same thing for Notepad or Calculator or other pre-installed tools. Microsoft is offering this tool for free when you purchase Windows so users can communicate with each other. Like marksticks pointed out, if you don't want it, a couple clicks takes it away.

IE: I dunno if most of you weren't around then or just forgot, but I remember selling Netscape Navigator for $50. They were the only show in town and the internet wasn't that popular. When MS came out with a free version bundled in Windows, Netscape had to give their browser away also. If that hadn't happened, you would still be paying to purchase a web browser. Again, we're talking about a tool that MS had the foresight to realize would play a big part in the near future and incorporated it into their OS.

I know there are other legitimate complaints, but the majority listed on this thread are asinine...

Sorry for the length :blush:

sanctified    1,225
My opinion about this whole "Windows is dumbed down for newbies" thing:

I think most of us here in Neowin don't realize that we are a very small minority. Windows was made for the masses, and has to cater to them. Most users I know like the easy search feature, which I hate and have turned off. The fact is, I know how to turn it off. If you're the power user that you claim to be, you can change the way Windows works to suit you, even though it is set by default for ease of use to a computer newbie.

Even an option to set it up as a power user at the beginning would backfire. Imagine your mother/grandmother setting up Windows and accidentally choosing expert mode. They would be in GUI hell, without knowing how to get out. Also, this doesn't cover the majority of Windows installations that come preinstalled on computers.

I can understand if you were to complain about a feature that only exists one way in Windows, but most of the things I'm reading here are optional:

Search dog: turn it off

File extensions hidden: turn it off

Product activation: If you're legit, then it should be no hassle. As far as pirating, I'm sure their goal was not to eliminate piracy, just to curb the users that put their Windows CD in their CDRW to make a copy for their friends... again, most users out there are not tech savvy. It's really only been a hassle to people that have had to go out and find Corporate copies and then get unblocked CD-keys...

MSN Messenger: You can say the same thing for Notepad or Calculator or other pre-installed tools. Microsoft is offering this tool for free when you purchase Windows so users can communicate with each other. Like marksticks pointed out, if you don't want it, a couple clicks takes it away.

IE: I dunno if most of you weren't around then or just forgot, but I remember selling Netscape Navigator for $50. They were the only show in town and the internet wasn't that popular. When MS came out with a free version bundled in Windows, Netscape had to give their browser away also. If that hadn't happened, you would still be paying to purchase a web browser. Again, we're talking about a tool that MS had the foresight to realize would play a big part in the near future and incorporated it into their OS.

I know there are other legitimate complaints, but the majority listed on this thread are asinine...

Sorry for the length :blush:

great post there man, congratulations

Solarix    0

System Restore, all it does is deletes the programs main *.exe and registry inputs leaves all the other crap left behind...

Darran    0
when you show the file extension it becomes renameable along with the actual file name, so you rename "hello.jpg" to just something like "grandma" and don't rename it to "grandma.jpg" you get a file with no extension and hence would be unable to be opened until it was given a proper extension, which your average home user might not figure out and think "OMG M$ ATE MY GRANDMA!!!"

Sensible idea.

Darran    0
System Restore, all it does is deletes the programs main *.exe and registry inputs leaves all the other crap left behind...

It may be flimsy but it is still one of the best things Microsoft ever thought up. It saved me. :)

amERICa    0
i say the most annoying thing about windows is most of its users. :D

totally. i work in tech support :)

i guess my gripe would be the fact that you cant disable things. i want full control! you should be able to disable/uninstall...

the cd burning

internet explorer

media player

messenger (yes i know you can but it should be an actual option to)

automatic updates

and a bunch more. basically i think you should be able to configure it more than you can. and i just thought of this. that blasted uxtheme.dll, why do they make it so you cant change your themes? thats the first thing i do when i install now is replace that file.

but i guess this might be why they are in court huh?

amERICa    0
You heard it.... Flame Mode On!!!! :devil:

shouldnt that be flame on? :fan4:

H1REN    0

very funny :D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

jimf43    0
hiding file extensions - why?? This can make a file called image.jpg.vbs look like image.jpg - user clicks on it thinking its just a picture file, and runs a script and or exe, etc..

That's the problem with creating a program for 'everyone' :x The 'defaults' are bound to be crap :cry: At least those parameters can be set to showall :yes:

Trust    0

Automatic updates

Internet Explorer

Media Player

CD Burning

Messenger

etc.... etc... etc... I dont likes the user friendly too

CarbonKnight    0

Default Image Resizing in IE (maybe a better idea would be for it to somehow download chunks of an image and resize it on the fly... therefore I save time downloading, and not have to put up with loading the people's POS desktops in the desktop thread)

Inconsistent icons (no excuse... do em all or none at all, and the system restore icon is f'd up)

Everytime I add an IE favorite where the website made their own icon (i.e. Neowin), it never shows up again. That sucks.

System restore is cool, but should be more customizable... also I've gotten a few near heart attacks because of things not working right, and IMO it would nice if, when I set a checkpoint for a month ago, it would truly go back a month, not just partially.

Unusual color choices like Orange in Luna

Horrendous looking shortcut icon by default...

Icons IMO should be 48 x 48 by default not 32 x 32

MS should make their own anti virus program built in

6 years later and there's still Paint :angry:

Needs some new games for new users/slackers... like internet chess built in

mlerner    0
Needs some new games for new users/slackers... like internet chess built in

Start > programs > games