The Worst Windows Feature

I don't like the 'Indexing Feature', although it claims to make searching faster, in reality it doesn't and takes up system resources.

The other thing I don't like (especially in 9x) is the need to reboot because of simple changes.

Another one of my pet peeves is that stupid Windows File Protection that keeps popping up after you change a DLL or any system file even after you disable WFP. You'd have to click CanceL for it to go away and it still wants you to be SURE .. The fact you have to reboot a lot to get anything working ****es me off. I know this linux guy who takes pride in not having rebooted his machine for 4 months. I reboot mine 4, 5 times a day. I still don't understand why the Linux folks have not come up with an easier GUI for us to use, nor why Apple would not make its OS available for the rest of us who are tired of using Windows.

I dont like the Search characters (doggy) so I simply deleted them from the srchasst folder under the Windows root directory. I deleted a bunch of folders that I thought did not make any sense being there and my machine is stable. I still dont understand what the Xerox and Xircom folders are about. They are both empty, yet you cannot delete them. Same goes for the Msn gaming Zone folder. I think MS should make it optional for you to install many windows components instead of just shoving them down our pipe. The more code you put on your machine, the slower it gets.

And by the way, Microsoft is not ALONE in this, many other companies do the same: Real , Adobe, Netscape.. Hell once you install realplayer, it configures itself to send "quality" data back to the company without asking you first and it also configures itself to load in memory everytime you start up your machine.

I despise intrusive softwarel

Installed XP in a office environment, and I think the worst feature in a non-critic security environment, the file sharing security is a pain in the ... neck. Network is already secured corporately... but XP still the best windows ever !!!!

in reply to marksticks

msn messenger couple of clicks to remove?

I had to edit my sysoc.inf file to make it appear in add/remove cp so I can stop the damn thing popping up a balloon everytime I bootup.

activation is a hassle, where do you think the worst pirating is done? someone taking a work copy of XP home and passing it around to friends or someone buying 1 copy and installing it on all their home pcs. Now I know it is far more common for piracy of windows from a copy paid for by someones company and I bet MS lost more money from this than home copies of XP but they clamped down on the home user, so now someone who has 2 or 3 pcs and wants XP on them all has to buy 3 copies of XP and a corporation that makes loads of money can abuse the system due to no protection on the corp version.

Gui bugs?

well... pre SP1 there is the folder view bug where XP can only remember so many folder views so after a while your folders start opening in the default large icon view again and you have to do a reg hack to reset this again so it lasts for a few more months.

My mouse pointer shadow turns itself of randomly after I exit some games.

If i put in a audio cd into my drive I get prompted what autorun action to do everytime despite selecting no action and ticking the remember this action box.(it does this on 3 out of 6 pcs I tried it on so seems to be a inconsistent bug)

In Explorer again it refuses to show the proper icons for the files and their associated program eg. my mpg files used to be associated with the dreaded realone player but now they are associated with powerdvd but they show the realone icon as the icon, even tho they do load up powerdvd when double clicked, I tried lots of stuff but they wont show the powerdvd icon. Also lots of exe icons show as nothing yet on a win2k system they show fine eg. warcraft 3 exe file.

You pointed out the remove hardware wizard is a newbie thing, and yes it is but at least the function was there now its gone altogether, this wizard allowed me to remove ghosted devices, my lan card was vulnerable to this. I am totally against my OS auto installing its own choice of drivers when it detects new hardware, it should at least popup a box asking me my choice.

Yes there are good things about WIndows XP which is why I use it but this thread is about the bad things so I will end my post here.

further comments please.

in reply to marksticks

msn messenger couple of clicks to remove?

I had to edit my sysoc.inf file to make it appear in add/remove cp so I can stop the damn thing popping up a balloon everytime I bootup.

Install SP1, click Add/Remove Programs, Click Add/Remove Windows Components, TADA! Windows Messenger, uncheck it and click OK. :p

The fact you have to reboot a lot to get anything working ****es me off. I know this linux guy who takes pride in not having rebooted his machine for 4 months. I reboot mine 4, 5 times a day.

You think you have to reboot alot in XP?? Sure, you have to reboot more than a Linux system but remember the Win95/98 days???? Win2000/XP have come along way as far as rebooting after installing apps/drivers goes. And if you are rebooting 4-5 times a day with XP you must do nothing on your PC but install major apps or new hardware! :p

<sarcasm>Wow...4 months without a reboot...I'm gonna go download Linux right now and dump Windows!!! I'm sick or having to wait 1-2 minutes each time I need to reboot XP! That precious lost time can now be spent on Linux checking dependencies and writing shell scripts! :whistle: </sarcasm>

• 1 year later...

Most of the complaints here mean very little to me. I can always customize my copy just the way I want. What DOES bother me are some of the things which should/should not be enabled on the default install. Most of these are actually being implemented in sp2. Like enabling the built in firewall by default. Integrating a virus checker into OE. More secure email protocols/settings (and better address book security). Better port management (i.e. open only the ones needed and the ability to open/close them as needed).

In other words, all the features for the masses which would reduce all the problems I have no control over (proliferation of worms/trojans)

The one personal feature that I think MS really should have done is provided direct access to system restore from a bootmenu. I mean comon. Doesnt it make sense that one would need to access system restore when windows isnt working?

What is your worst Windows XP feature ??

I don't have a Windows XP feature. However, if you mean Microsoft's then it is product activation --what a nightmare.....

I now only use XP on PCs where it came with the PC, otherwise it will be some sort of UNIX/Linux OS (like FreeBSD, Solaris, or some Linux distribution). Actually, I think I will start to replace some of my existing Windows installations with that as well, as I only need max one PC with some version of Windows on it. Tired of vendor lock-in, and the limitations they put on what I can do to my systems. I would have abandoned the platform a long time ago if it wasn't for the amount of software that is written for it (even though only a tiny fraction of it is indeed truly useful and reliable).

My basic complaint is the user/admin structure of windows. This also applies to OSX and Lindows. I much prefer the one commonly used in linux with users being very very restricted and the root has control. While it probably is possible to accomplish something like this in windows it isn't standard, and the users who would benefit most from this won't do it. These users are the ones who aren't computer saavy and will open the viral email. If they had very restricted privledges then that email couldn't harm their computer.

Another complaint is with drivers and plug and play. I have been forced to install my printer 4 times in windows. Sometimes when I jump out of linux to go into windows to print something when it loads a screen pops up saying it detected new hardware....my printer. I click close since I already installed the driver. However a minute later the screen pops up again. I keep clicking hoping it will stop, but this continued for a good 10 minutes. Finally I installed the driver again...now I have 2 drivers for my printer. Now sometimes when I start windows that driver screen pops up and rather then get bugged I just install my printer driver again. Also the my usb mouse doesn't get detected all the time. Luckily this is a laptop and my touchpad works just fine. I have to do to the device manager and scan for new hardware on the main usb entry. My usb mouse works again.

My basic complaint is the user/admin structure of windows. This also applies to OSX and Lindows. I much prefer the one commonly used in linux with users being very very restricted and the root has control. While it probably is possible to accomplish something like this in windows it isn't standard, and the users who would benefit most from this won't do it. These users are the ones who aren't computer saavy and will open the viral email. If they had very restricted privledges then that email couldn't harm their computer.

Another complaint is with drivers and plug and play. I have been forced to install my printer 4 times in windows. Sometimes when I jump out of linux to go into windows to print something when it loads a screen pops up saying it detected new hardware....my printer. I click close since I already installed the driver. However a minute later the screen pops up again. I keep clicking hoping it will stop, but this continued for a good 10 minutes. Finally I installed the driver again...now I have 2 drivers for my printer. Now sometimes when I start windows that driver screen pops up and rather then get bugged I just install my printer driver again. Also the my usb mouse doesn't get detected all the time. Luckily this is a laptop and my touchpad works just fine. I have to do to the device manager and scan for new hardware on the main usb entry. My usb mouse works again.