Create a multi boot rescue USB flash drive

Ok, i just watched that video you linked to and found that it actually shows you how to place the Windows 7 Install files on to a partition on the disk. Now it might be possible for you to use this method to create multipul partitions and place the OS of choice on each partition, but then you will need to edit the boot file on the primary partition, so it gives you a menu asking which partition you wish to boot from, then give the correct perameters for each partition.

However, you could just use Grub4Dos, which is far more simplistic IMO to configure, as it just relies on you editing a file called menu.lst to point to the correct partition and files etc.

Note though that this still wont alow you to place the files in seperate folders. In fact the video you posted does not even show you putting files in a folder on a partition either, so im unsure where you are getting this information about folders from?

In the comments section it expands on how you can add other files and folders to the flash in addition to the bootable Win7 files. I added the folder to collect the Win7 files into when they are not needed to boot. It was another commenter there who suggested that it should be possible using this method to place a number of bootable apps/installers in folders on the flash and then take them out of the folder onto the root when you want one of them to boot. I have been in search of how to do this, using the simple principle used in this method that bootable files placed onto a flash's root will boot as do the Win7 files, which have neither a boot manager or any bootsect commands copied into it.

It is a mess to try to partition a flash and get Windows to read the partitions. Is it possible use Grub4dos as a boot manager to point to various bootable apps/installers that are on a single primary active partition, where these files are loose with other files/apps? What I am trying to do here is find the simplest way to have Windows 7, GWScan bootable, memtest86 bootables and a bunch of other apps/files on the same 8g flash.

Edited by gregrocker

In the comments section it expands on how you can add other files and folders to the flash in addition to the bootable Win7 files. I added the folder to collect the Win7 files into when they are not needed to boot. It was another commenter there who suggested that it should be possible using this method to place a number of bootable apps/installers in folders on the flash and then take them out of the folder onto the root when you want one of them to boot. I have been in search of how to do this, using the simple principle used in this method that bootable files placed onto a flash's root will boot as do the Win7 files, which have neither a boot manager or any bootsect commands copied into it.

It is a mess to try to partition a flash and get Windows to read the partitions. Is it possible use Grub4dos as a boot manager to point to various bootable apps/installers that are on a single primary active partition, where these files are loose with other files/apps? What I am trying to do here is find the simplest way to have Windows 7, GWScan bootable, memtest86 bootables and a bunch of other apps/files on the same 8g flash.

I understand what you are trying to achieve and you CAN achieve it using Grub4Dos, however you cannot have every system in folders, as you need the files at the root of the drive for certain OS's to boot.

You can put them in folders and move them to the root each time you want to boot that certain OS, however, i dont know how you wish to move those files each time? If you plan on moing them inside of Windows, then doesnt that avoid the point of it being an emergancy boot device?

Seriously mate, its not that hard to configure Grub4Dos. If you just read Si's tutorial at the beginning of the thread, you will see that it is actually as easy as the video link you posted if not easier.

Not that Grub can boot img files, such as memtest86 as an image, so you wouldnt need files such as that at the root of the drive. In addition, i have a windows vista and linux distro booting fine on my USB device, however, certain files need to be in certain folders on the root for this to work etc, otherwise you just wont get a fully bootable OS.

Can I add Ubuntu to this or what is the best Linux to add to it and how? Thanks.

BTW: I followed the first page of this thread and it worked first time!

P.S How can I add a title to the menu.lst file so it will show my company name when it boot to the options menu?

EDIT: Forgot to add...I would like to add Spinrite too.

Hello mate, missed your post sorry.

You can add any LIVE Linux distro to it, or a bootable OS installer. Just bare in mind that there is a difference in putting a bootable OS and a bootable installer on there. So when downloading you required Linux distro, make sure it is a live OS and not a complete installer, unless thats what you wish.

Other than that, its just a case of extracting the Contents of the ISO for that OS, as it is to the root of your bootable drive and configuring the menu.lst file to point to the correct files to boot. This is discussed a number of times in this thread by myself and others.

I have Knoppix and Helix running on my device.

Im not sure about the company name thing to be honest. I dont THINK its possible without editing the actual Grub boot loader...

yeah, try my everything booting master USB-Stick:

color light-gray/black light-blue/black
timeout 60

title BackTrack 4 Beta
kernel /bootbt4/vmlinuz vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet
initrd /bootbt4/initrd.gz

title BackTrack 3
kernel /bootbt3/vmlinuz vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;kdm nosound
initrd /bootbt3/initrd.gz

title Windows PE 3.0 Beta
chainloader /bootmgr

title knoppix
kernel /bootknop/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 lang=de vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet loglevel=0 nolapic_timer
initrd /bootknop/isolinux/minirt.gz

title Slax
kernel /bootslax/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;telinit~4 changes=/slax/
initrd /bootslax/initrd.gz

title Daricks Boot And Nuke
kernel /memdisk
initrd /dban.img

title NT Password Recovery
kernel /ntpasswd/vmlinuz rw vga=1 initrd=/ntpasswd/initrd.cgz /ntpasswd/scsi.cgz
initrd /ntpasswd/initrd.cgz

title Memtest86
kernel /memdisk
initrd /memtestp.img

title Barts PE (not working yet -.-')
find --set-root /i386/setupldr.bin
chainloader /i386/setupldr.bin

title knoppix 800x600
kernel /bootknop/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 lang=de vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off vga=788 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet loglevel=0 nolapic_timer

title knoppix failsafe
kernel /bootknop/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 lang=de vt.default_utf8=0 vga=normal atapicd nosound noapic nolapic noacpi pnpbios=off acpi=off nofstab noscsi nodma noapm nousb nopcmcia nofirewire noagp nomce nonetwork nodhcp xmodule=vesa initrd=minirt.gz

title knoppix adriane
kernel /bootknop/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 lang=de vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off vga=0x311 initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet loglevel=0 nolapic_timer adriane

title BackTrack 3 compiz (experimental!)
kernel /bootbt3/vmlinuz vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw chexpand=256 load=cubez autoexec=xconf;cubez;startx

title BackTrack 3 compiz nVidia (experimental!)
kernel /bootbt3/vmlinuz vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw chexpand=256 load=cubez,nvidiadriver autoexec=xconf;startnvidia.sh;startx

title Slax fresh version
kernel /bootslax/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;telinit~4

title Slax to RAM (>300MB)
kernel /bootslax/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw copy2ram autoexec=xconf;telinit~4

title Slax Text mode
kernel /bootslax/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw changes=/slax/

title Slax as PXE server
kernel /bootslax/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=/boot/pxelinux.cfg/start;/boot/pxelinux.cfg/web/start;xconf;telinit~4

this SystemRescue disc didn't work for me -.-' no idea why... I tried 1.1.2 and 1.1.7

Windows PE 2.1 and 2.0 were working nice, tutorial also useable for 3.0

ntpasswd seems not to recognize my hd.. only my Key on sdb.. any idea? Intel Matrix Storage Driver needed? how to implement? Vista the problem?

Seriously mate, its not that hard to configure Grub4Dos. If you just read Si's tutorial at the beginning of the thread, you will see that it is actually as easy as the video link you posted if not easier.

Not that Grub can boot img files, such as memtest86 as an image, so you wouldnt need files such as that at the root of the drive. In addition, i have a windows vista and linux distro booting fine on my USB device, however, certain files need to be in certain folders on the root for this to work etc, otherwise you just wont get a fully bootable OS.

Where I get lost is that the code for Grub is specific to those tools he is putting on the flash, whereas I want Win7, memtest86, gwscan bootable hd diag/repair, and maybe an XP on there as my only bootable files. I am fine with leaving them in or out of folders if there is a boot manager like that. Mine would be not so much a rescue disk as an installer for Win7 (maybe XP too) with the tools for wiping the disk beforehand, testing memory, and then adding in apps like Works (running setup fine), CCleaner, defragger, Avast, Spybot etc. most of which aren't even bootable.

What other apps have people added to theirs? I would like to build mine up with a ghost program and a decent antivirus etc.

Try WindowsPE and the c't computer magazine version of BartPE, there are some Virus cleaning tools included ^^

Edit: oh noes -.- it is no more reachable 404... searching for alternatives

Edit2: oh yes, try this: http://www.boot-land.net

they have a nice Program to use the Vista PE and it can integrate Windows Apps <- testing in progress

look at this to get a clue: http://vistape.net/vistape.html

Edited by DerDickePozilist

Where I get lost is that the code for Grub is specific to those tools he is putting on the flash, whereas I want Win7, memtest86, gwscan bootable hd diag/repair, and maybe an XP on there as my only bootable files. I am fine with leaving them in or out of folders if there is a boot manager like that. Mine would be not so much a rescue disk as an installer for Win7 (maybe XP too) with the tools for wiping the disk beforehand, testing memory, and then adding in apps like Works (running setup fine), CCleaner, defragger, Avast, Spybot etc. most of which aren't even bootable.

Im not sure what your problem is? If you want to put Word etc on the drive for install after a fresh OS install, then just put them in folders and Grub will ignore them...?

The other bootable files will need to be configured however and put in their own folders. If your asking how to bott them, then thats fine. Let us know exactly which files you wish to boot and i will help you along with it.

Has anyone got Ubuntu to run?

Not personally, but if you let us know which Live version of the OS (NOTE: it has to be a live distro to run!), then we will be able to tell you how to configure your menu.lst file.

What other apps have people added to theirs? I would like to build mine up with a ghost program and a decent antivirus etc.

We cant really tell you what to add. Thats up to you. Everyone has different tastes and needs.

yeah, try my everything booting master USB-Stick:

color light-gray/black light-blue/black
timeout 60

title BackTrack 4 Beta
kernel /bootbt4/vmlinuz vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet
initrd /bootbt4/initrd.gz

title BackTrack 3
kernel /bootbt3/vmlinuz vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;kdm nosound

title Windows PE 3.0 Beta
chainloader /bootmgr

title knoppix
kernel /bootknop/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 lang=de vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet loglevel=0 nolapic_timer

title Slax
kernel /bootslax/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;telinit~4 changes=/slax/

title Daricks Boot And Nuke
kernel /memdisk
initrd /dban.img

title NT Password Recovery
kernel /ntpasswd/vmlinuz rw vga=1 initrd=/ntpasswd/initrd.cgz /ntpasswd/scsi.cgz

title Memtest86
kernel /memdisk
initrd /memtestp.img

title Barts PE (not working yet -.-')
find --set-root /i386/setupldr.bin
chainloader /i386/setupldr.bin

title knoppix 800x600
kernel /bootknop/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 lang=de vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off vga=788 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet loglevel=0 nolapic_timer

title knoppix failsafe
kernel /bootknop/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 lang=de vt.default_utf8=0 vga=normal atapicd nosound noapic nolapic noacpi pnpbios=off acpi=off nofstab noscsi nodma noapm nousb nopcmcia nofirewire noagp nomce nonetwork nodhcp xmodule=vesa initrd=minirt.gz

title knoppix adriane
kernel /bootknop/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 lang=de vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off vga=0x311 initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet loglevel=0 nolapic_timer adriane

title BackTrack 3 compiz (experimental!)
kernel /bootbt3/vmlinuz vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw chexpand=256 load=cubez autoexec=xconf;cubez;startx

title BackTrack 3 compiz nVidia (experimental!)
kernel /bootbt3/vmlinuz vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw chexpand=256 load=cubez,nvidiadriver autoexec=xconf;startnvidia.sh;startx

title Slax fresh version
kernel /bootslax/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;telinit~4

title Slax to RAM (&gt;300MB)
kernel /bootslax/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw copy2ram autoexec=xconf;telinit~4

title Slax Text mode
kernel /bootslax/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw changes=/slax/

title Slax as PXE server
kernel /bootslax/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=/boot/pxelinux.cfg/start;/boot/pxelinux.cfg/web/start;xconf;telinit~4

this SystemRescue disc didn't work for me -.-' no idea why... I tried 1.1.2 and 1.1.7

Windows PE 2.1 and 2.0 were working nice, tutorial also useable for 3.0

ntpasswd seems not to recognize my hd.. only my Key on sdb.. any idea? Intel Matrix Storage Driver needed? how to implement? Vista the problem?

What config did you use in your menu.lst file and where did you place the boot files for SRCD? We might be able to tell what you did wrong?

I just exactly followed the instructions, the SystemRescueCD seems to start, but brakes, I will recover the failure at a later time...

Edit: now it works fine, I putted the files once again on my stick, added the lines for booting and the SRCD works in both the x86 and x64 modes:

title SystemRescueCD
kernel /rescuecd initrd=initram.igz video=ofonly vga=0 scandelay=5
initrd /initram.igz

title SystemRescueCD x64
kernel /rescue64 initrd=initram.igz video=ofonly vga=0 scandelay=5
initrd /initram.igz

(copy the corresponding file;))

Edited by DerDickePozilist

New question: how to realize a "passthrough" for booting Vista/XP from Harddrive via grub from key?

Well, it depends really. You need to know that the HDD of each machine is going to be the first one and not be partitioned in two, with the OS booting from another partition than the primary etc.

This is how you would boot the default OS on a HD set to master and on the first or only partition:

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
chainloader (hd0)+1

The other bootable files will need to be configured however and put in their own folders. If your asking how to bott them, then thats fine. Let us know exactly which files you wish to boot and i will help you along with it.

Great, thanks!

I would like to have Windows 7 installer, Xp Home installer, GWScan 5.12 and Memtest86 as bootables on my Kingston Data Traveler 100 8 gb flash drive.

Can we use this to boot installers for windows from their seperate folders?

For XP, you would only need to have the i386 folder on the root and call winnt i think?

Not sure about Vista, as i have not performed a full install of Vista for a long time...

Slight problem on trying to load Vista of 32 and 64 bit editions. I followed the entire method described on page one except I removed the SystemRescueCD listing in the menu.lst file. I also instead of putting the WinPE files created earlier, put the exact files and folders from my Vista DVDs. Now the rest of the things except Vista work fine but it keeps giving me a 0x00000000f error. I took a picture with my phone to make it clearer as to what I mean.

image001njt.th.jpg

This is the folder Structure I have set up:

driveo.th.png

and finally my menu.lst

color white/black black/white
timeout 25

title Windows 7 32bit
chainloader /x86seven/bootmgr

title Windows 7 64bit
chainloader /amd64seven/bootmgr

title Windows Vista 32bit
chainloader /x86vista/bootmgr

title Windows Vista 64bit
chainloader /amd64vista/bootmgr

title DBAN Hard Drive Nuking
kernel /memdisk
initrd /dban.img

title Recover Windows XP Vista 7 Passwords

title memtest86
kernel /memdisk
initrd /memtestp.img

My Vistas are both vLited but they work perfectly fine on Single USB drives with them only and on DVDs. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
Slight problem on trying to load Vista of 32 and 64 bit editions. I followed the entire method described on page one except I removed the SystemRescueCD listing in the menu.lst file. I also instead of putting the WinPE files created earlier, put the exact files and folders from my Vista DVDs. Now the rest of the things except Vista work fine but it keeps giving me a 0x00000000f error. I took a picture with my phone to make it clearer as to what I mean.

image001njt.th.jpg

This is the folder Structure I have set up:

driveo.th.png

and finally my menu.lst

color white/black black/white
timeout 25

title Windows 7 32bit
chainloader /x86seven/bootmgr

title Windows 7 64bit
chainloader /amd64seven/bootmgr

title Windows Vista 32bit
chainloader /x86vista/bootmgr

title Windows Vista 64bit
chainloader /amd64vista/bootmgr

title DBAN Hard Drive Nuking
kernel /memdisk
initrd /dban.img

title Recover Windows XP Vista 7 Passwords

title memtest86
kernel /memdisk
initrd /memtestp.img

My Vistas are both vLited but they work perfectly fine on Single USB drives with them only and on DVDs. Any suggestions?

The bootmgr file searches for files in the BOOT folder. Even though you are calling seperate bootmgr files and they are in different folders, you still need the main BOOT folder at the root of the drive and only ONE will be bootable, as they all point to the same locations.

What you need to do is edit the boot config files in vista so a sub menu appears and you can select which one you want. Sorry if this makes little sense, but if you want more information, let me know and ill post back when i have more time to explain.

Basically put though, your folder structure will not work.

Excellent Guide, I now have a multi booting OS flash drive and it will no doubt come in very handy.

I hope you don't mind but I wrote my own guide on another forum based off this (adapted slightly) which differs because I start by installing UBCD4Win (Which takes care of grub4dos and mbr) and then proceed to install other distribution. You can read it here if interested.

I have fully credited this thread as my main source.

Excellent Guide, I now have a multi booting OS flash drive and it will no doubt come in very handy.

I hope you don't mind but I wrote my own guide on another forum based off this (adapted slightly) which differs because I start by installing UBCD4Win (Which takes care of grub4dos and mbr) and then proceed to install other distribution. You can read it here if interested.

I have fully credited this thread as my main source.

Sounds good to me mate... Im sure Si wont mind, his exact guide has been copied in many places around the web now.

Sounds good to me mate... Im sure Si wont mind, his exact guide has been copied in many places around the web now.

Yeah, it's futile to get upset about these things - besides some of the copies I have seen have made some brilliant changes :)

I just wiped my boot USB by accident... oops.

. . there is a Windows PE build for Windows 7 RC now . .?

Thanks!

Will the OP be updated to this AIK?

• 4 weeks later...
Quote - (Si @ Mar 10 2008, 12:39)

Glad you found it useful.

I don't see why you couldn't use bartpe in the same way as stock Windows PE, just by pointing GRUB at the correct boot file (/ntldr?).

Yes...I've tried that and for some reason, I get an image loading error on BartPE. Once it's booted, I can't access all the volumes (hard drives) on the computer, only the USB, the X: drive, etc. There's no listing for the main hard drive. I must be missing something...I'll poke around some

Thats all I can find. :( Am I missing it?