The Big Wrestling Thread!

At a press conference for 5* Wrestling in Dundee this morning, ahead of the promotion's 2017 return in the city, Drew Galloway announced that the upcoming show -- on January 28th at the Dundee Ice Arena -- will be broadcast live on Spike TV in the United Kingdom.

The channel has been around for 18 months, and mostly broadcasts content from Spike US and the UK Channel 5, which has broadcast wrestling in the past -- most notably WCW Worldwide in 1999. The show will only air in the UK and is intended to kick-start a series. Kurt Angle will be on color commentary for at least the first show.

5* Wrestling ran three shows early last year, using some big imported names (including AJ Styles in some of his last independent dates before signing with WWE) alongside the top British talent available to them. The footage they filmed last time out was intended to be used in a video game, but things went very quiet on that front.

Their return this month -- Dundee is the only announced date so far -- has Galloway, along with John Hennigan, Rey Mysterio Jr., Jay Lethal, Carlito, and PJ Black in the lineup, with the poster also featuring homegrown stars Jimmy Havoc and Joe Hendry, as well as Martin Stone (working the WWE UK Championship tournament this weekend), and Joe Coffey and Zack Gibson (who were both a part of the World Of Sport tapings).

http://www.f4wonline.com/indies/another-promotion-trying-out-live-tv-uk-228281

On 1/9/2017 at 11:35 PM, MightyJordan said:
*my bracket*
Spoiler

Blimey, I got 7 out of 8 right. Saxon Huxley was the only pick of mine who lost. Probably a mistake to go against Pete Dunne in the quarter-finals, but I don't reckon they'll do heel vs. heel in the semis.

Great first night. There were so many UK promotions name-dropped - even a few owners in the crowd - Nigel McGuinness was great as usual on commentary, even Michael Cole was decent for once, the crowd did us proud, and most importantly, so did the wrestlers.

WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Snuka has passed away at the age of 73 years old following a battle with stomach cancer, PWInsider.com is sad to report.

More forthcoming.

Our deepest condolences to the Snuka family at this time.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=107121

Spoiler

...welp, mine and Michael Cole's pick to win the UK Championship tournament just got eliminated by Mark Andrews. I'm switching to Pete Dunne, especially after his quarter-final match earlier.

Spoiler

...well, bugger me, they gave it 19-year-old Tyler Bate. Thoroughly deserved. What a match, and what a tournament.

Fans of plodding, low-flying action are in store for a treat when the stars of WWE’s new Superheavyweight Division get their very own showcase on the WWE Network, called 405 Live.

The main event — and, indeed, the only event — currently booked for Thursday’s series premiere will pit Big Show against Mark Henry, because they are currently the only two wrestlers on the roster who surpass the 405-pound minimum weight.

Although the roster currently includes only two competitors (which is only slightly less than the Cruiserweight Division), rumors abound that WWE COO Triple H has been scouting potential signees including:

• The Yeti (pronounced “yet-tay”)
  • The Great Khali (currently working his native India as a telephone pole)
  • All five original members of the Spirt Squad duct-taped together
  • Yo momma

According to backstage rumours, Braun Strowman has been trying to bulk up to qualify for the division by eating everything in sight, including James Ellsworth.

http://www.kayfabenews.com/big-show-vs-mark-henry-confirmed-premiere-405-live/

Holy shitttttttttttttttt. Well, that means he's gonna wrestle also, cuz he sure didn't keep that a secret over the past few months. So happy he's being put in the WWE Hall of Fame! But I wonder, how much TNA will they mention? Probably nothing lol I suppose TNA has been mentioned a few times over the past year or so, what with Styles the champ etc. But they really don't mention the company by name, which is kinda weird. You'd think Vince would want to rub it in, any chance he gets :D

Also, Kurt Angle is back in WWE! :)

Sad to hear about Jimmy Snuka as well. Things might have turned out different late in his life, but no one can deny how awesome he was back in the 70s and 80s.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MightyJordan said:

So I was worried that he'd lose so much momentum after his injury. Granted this is his home UK crowd and all, but man they were super into Balor. And he's way better with crowds than I thought without his gimmick stuff tacked on. Also, I was really waiting for that Tom guy who won the musical chairs, to bash Balor with the chair at the end lol Epic :D

• Like 1

So, kinda big news being reportedly almost finalized. ICW is close to a deal (its a verbal deal right now) to air their content on the WWE Network.

That would be awesome. What with the UKCT and now ICW being on WWE Network, things are looking good for the UK wrestling scene :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LOC said:

So, kinda big news being reportedly almost finalized. ICW is close to a deal (its a verbal deal right now) to air their content on the WWE Network.

That would be awesome. What with the UKCT and now ICW being on WWE Network, things are looking good for the UK wrestling scene :)

Dave Meltzer says there's "something to [the rumours]", but after the TNA rumours a few months ago - that in the end, didn't come true - I'm gonna remain skeptical until we actually hear it from either WWE or ICW, especially considering PWInsider's saying the content will not be toned down. I'd be shocked, ecstatic and instantly subscribing to the Network if WWE actually went with that, and I know Mark Dallas would not budge on that; he's turned down TV deals before because they wanted to tone down the content.

Speaking of ICW, they're having another go at starting up their own hall of fame.

They did try to start it back in 2014 with Scottish wrestling legend Drew McDonald as the first inductee, but he fell ill before the ceremony and he didn't want to accept it until he could be there in person, so ICW postponed it, but he sadly died of cancer in 2015.