The Big Wrestling Thread!

Jim Ross announced today on his blog that he will be the play-by-play announcer for the WWE U.K. television show, teaming with Nigel McGuinness.

The first shows were taped on Saturday and Sunday in Norwich, England.

As of what we've heard, the shows will be broken up into weekly one-hour shows, similar to NXT, airing on the WWE Network. At the tapings, it was announced that the first episode would be debuting before the end of the month.

Triple H also tweeted the same thing.

Ross will continue to also do weekly television for AXS and New Japan Pro Wrestling due to the unique contract situation he has, so he will be announcing for the two largest pro wrestling companies in the world at the same time.

On his blog, he also noted that AXS would be making the announcement on May 18th of its broadcast plans for the New Japan shows on July 1st and July 2nd in Long Beach. The deal to air those events on AXS has been in talks for months. The events will also air live with Kevin Kelly and Don Callis on New Japan World.

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/jim-ross-and-nigel-mcguinness-call-wwe-uk-tv-show-235136?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Dream lineup right there!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MightyJordan said:

So as an old person now, and someone who grew up with GLOW around (though I think I was kinda older by the time it showed up anyways, but I digress lol) this trailer (and I assume the series itself) nailed the look and feel of the original. I mean, this could literally be a new season of the original GLOW for all we know :D

^^ If you can find them someplace, I highly recommend them. I mean, don't go in expecting amazing wrestling or anything - its more of a nostalgia trip kinda thing. But some of the women and their characters were just AMAZING back then lol Plus some of them were so over the top, it was honestly astonishing they got away with some of them :D

Also, a few of the women involved probably could legit have been women wrestlers. Dunno if any of them ever did transition over to actual wrestling though after GLOW closed down.

Since we're on the subject of GLOW, here's a look at its spiritual successor...

...and the modern-day equivalent.

3 hours ago, LOC said:

^^ If you can find them someplace, I highly recommend them. I mean, don't go in expecting amazing wrestling or anything - its more of a nostalgia trip kinda thing. But some of the women and their characters were just AMAZING back then lol Plus some of them were so over the top, it was honestly astonishing they got away with some of them :D

Also, a few of the women involved probably could legit have been women wrestlers. Dunno if any of them ever did transition over to actual wrestling though after GLOW closed down.

I am old enough that I actually *watched* GLOW when it was first on!  Big Bad Momma was actually on an episode of Married with Children, and beat the stuffins out of Al Bundy.  And Roller Derby was fun also.

1 hour ago, jamwheat said:

I am old enough that I actually *watched* GLOW when it was first on!  Big Bad Momma was actually on an episode of Married with Children, and beat the stuffins out of Al Bundy.  And Roller Derby was fun also.

Yup, I still remember seeing her on Married With Children and yelling at the TV at my friends house and he looked at me like i was nuts heh.

...so, WWE's UK special went up on Friday. Good show there. Then Pete Dunne and Tyler Bate only go and top their UK title tournament final match at NXT Takeover Chicago last night (with JR on commentary as the cherry on top). Bloody hell, that one's almost certainly an MOTY contender.

I think it's safe to say even with Nakamura vs. Ziggler tonight, Backlash isn't gonna top Takeover Chicago.

Edited by MightyJordan