The Big Wrestling Thread!

It was a good weekend outside of WWE. NJPW held their first shows in America, crowned their first ever IWGP US Champion in a tournament over the two nights, and Impact Wrestling had a good PPV with Slammiversary XV. Check them out.

The G1 Special shows had great matches throughout; definitely worth going through it all and not just skipping to the tournament matches.

As for Slammiversary XV, if anyone here's craving the crazy ###### that we got from the Broken Hardys throughout last year, you'll love Jeremy Borash & Joseph Park vs. Josh Matthews & Scott Steiner. Also have to give credit to the NFL guy they brought in; never wrestled a match before, but he did well throughout...

...despite the botched finish.

Even Dave Meltzer praised the hell out of him...

And speaking of Meltzer, the Young Bucks paid tribute to his dad - who passed away on Sunday - in their own unique way.

58 minutes ago, Damo R. said:

Kenny Omega winning the title was obvious, The Elite are the indie darlings at the moment

Yeah, and it's easy to see why: they put on some of the most entertaining matches around.

I had Kenny Omega down to win the tournament over on Reddit, but Tomohiro Ishii was the big bracket buster for me; I didn't even think he'd best Tetsuya Naito, let alone Zack Sabre Jr. in the semis and go on to the final (which was a brutal match, too). I was going with an Omega/ZSJ final.

I also thought Hangman Page was gonna beat Jay Lethal with some Bullet Club assistance, but nope, clean match with Lethal winning, and we got a hell of a semi-final match with him and Omega.

2 minutes ago, Damo R. said:

This move is unreal though, the impact and the noise!

I'm a Big Mike mark, so I was a little annoyed that he went out at the first hurdle, but the match was oh so good.

3 minutes ago, MightyJordan said:

I'm a Big Mike mark, so I was a little annoyed that he went out at the first hurdle, but the match was oh so good.

Yeah for sure, what did you think of the commentary? I thought it was awful :laugh: 

I miss Corino/Kelly

13 minutes ago, Damo R. said:

Yeah for sure, what did you think of the commentary? I thought it was awful :laugh: 

I miss Corino/Kelly

Disappointed is probably the best way to sum it up. JR's obviously past his best, I was excited he was there, so I gave him a bit of a pass, but Josh Barnett really was dull. That tweet I posted earlier showing the difference between the English and Japanese commentary summed it up well.

I miss Steve Corino, too, but at least he's in a good place as one of NXT's trainers. Don Callis has been a good replacement alongside Kevin Kelly at the NJPW shows.

19 minutes ago, MightyJordan said:

Disappointed is probably the best way to sum it up. JR's obviously past his best, I was excited he was there, so I gave him a bit of a pass, but Josh Barnett really was dull. That tweet I posted earlier showing the difference between the English and Japanese commentary summed it up well.

I miss Steve Corino, too, but at least he's in a good place as one of NXT's trainers. Don Callis has been a good replacement alongside Kevin Kelly at the NJPW shows.

Corino has done well for himself tbh whatever happened to this guy...

48g1b3.png

;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Damo R. said:

There's no bigger tool in wrestling than Del Rio El Patron :laugh: 

I think we can all agree on that.

Oh man, he comes across as such a cliche.  Everybody goes to whatever promotion and talks about either "being where every Superstar wants to be" or  "valuing real Wrestling", but he just comes across as a bitter, disgruntled, ex-employee who is taking shots at his former employers.  I've never given him the time of day, a B-carder that got above his station, and I admit I don't know his background but if he is THAT big in Mexico then hey good luck, adios!

Also the way he had dragged Paige into it all is so awkward!