The Big Wrestling Thread!

Meanwhile, in Saudi Arabia...

Imagine if that happened over here; most wrestling fans would be in prison right now.

These things are expected as traditions are colliding with changes... and sincere changes cannot happen overnight, it take times, sometime even generations.

WWE have huge fan base in ME region, so I cannot fault them in trying to cash-in on it.

I hear ya Micheal, but I'd say its only historic because WWE has fallen so much in the past 15 years or so. I would hope another organization would be able to pull in 10k for a show at some point if WWE is dropping people left and right.

43 minutes ago, LOC said:

I hear ya Micheal, but I'd say its only historic because WWE has fallen so much in the past 15 years or so. I would hope another organization would be able to pull in 10k for a show at some point if WWE is dropping people left and right.

WWEs problem is that they're trying to do some sort of Kayfabe like before but the current writing team is just ###### poor.  I have no idea why or who has final say at creative but they need to be fired, and the take all the writers with them.   I think it's time they stop trying to create feuds between individuals or tag teams with fake built up heat which in many cases doesn't come out of anywhere and instead switch over to a point system, they can still push who they want to push, and job out who they want to job out, but at least we'll be spared from terrible writing.    Who had a point system in the past?  I forget?  ECW?  Or maybe TNA uses one?

Anyways, I'd think it'd make things way more interesting,  also instead of having so many damn belts, one for each "brand" just make them like the US and IC belts, let them go between brands and change hands at one of the big PVs while the rest of the time you have everyone fighting for points to become the one to challenge the champ(s) regardless of what brand you're on.   

32 minutes ago, George P said:

switch over to a point system, they can still push who they want to push, and job out who they want to job out, but at least we'll be spared from terrible writing.    Who had a point system in the past?  I forget?  ECW?  Or maybe TNA uses one?

Chikara has a points system for both of their titles: 3 points needed to challenge for a title, you get a point by winning a match, but if you lose a match, your points are reset to 0, so basically, you need to win three matches in a row to challenge for a title.

4 minutes ago, MightyJordan said:

Chikara has a points system for both of their titles: 3 points needed to challenge for a title, you get a point by winning a match, but if you lose a match, your points are reset to 0, so basically, you need to win three matches in a row to challenge for a title.

That's interesting, but I don't know if winning 3 matches in a row would be enough for the WWE where you have all these people, and could have even more if they want to build up a true womens tag team division soon.    Might have to stretch it out to more wins/points and maybe give double points to whoever wins at one of the other PVs that isn't for the title.

1 hour ago, LOC said:

I just realised his tweet was wrong: it's been 18 years, not 20; the last 10,000+ non-WWE show in America was WCW's Spring Stampede 2000. Still, it shows how dominant WWE have been, and as you say, hopefully their slight fall will be other promotion's big gains in the near-future. I found a good tweet arguing that 2014 was the turning point for the state of wrestling now...

All the streaming services have definitely played a big part in it; nowadays, any promotion worth a damn has their own streaming service (with the exception of PWG, who are still riding high on DVD sales).

The big 4 all have their own:

• WWE Network
  • Global Wrestling Network (Impact Wrestling)
  • Honor Club (ROH)
  • NJPW World

Then you've got the seemingly endless number of indies with their own streaming services, whether it's through Pivotshare (ICW, PROGRESS, CZW, OTT, RPW), Vimeo (wXw), WWN Live (Evolve, Dragon Gate, Shine), or even their own creation, like Access Defiant.

2 hours ago, MightyJordan said:

Wow so they let Nia Jax finally win at Wrestlemania - only to know (obviously) get manhandled by Rousey? I mean I'm sure she'll put up a fight and everything but does ANYONE think she has a chance beating Rousey? Other than kids and maybe lax fans of course. Unless they do some sort of dirty DQ thing with a run in setting up the road to Summerslam or something.

How have I never heard of OSW on Youtube before MJ?! I only went and checked their last few videos on the channel there but its almost all wrestling content and I love the humor of these guys and the way they cover stuff. Reminds me of Wrestletalk quite a bit actually, just more British? I guess? lol sorry

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, LOC said:

How have I never heard of OSW on Youtube before MJ?! I only went and checked their last few videos on the channel there but its almost all wrestling content and I love the humor of these guys and the way they cover stuff. Reminds me of Wrestletalk quite a bit actually, just more British? I guess? lol sorry

Don't worry, I was late to the party, too; they started in 2011, but I only got into them late last year. They usually review classic shows - hence the OSW: Old School Wrestling - but they've been doing a lot more current shows recently, where Maffew of Botchamania subs in for one of the regular guys who doesn't keep up with WWE nowadays, due to family commitments. The videos are long, but they're worth it, and you can thankfully dip in and out; there's no need to start from episode 1, especially since they thankfully have a dictionary on their site to brush up on all the running jokes. The episodes sometimes form story arcs, though, like the first 30 or so episodes were all chronicling Hulkamania, then they went onto WCW, then ECW (including the WWECW revival, which completely changed the way I hear Kurt Angle's entrance music at 18:43), then WrestleMania X-Seven, which was a brilliant arc, then the Dungeon of Doom, with a bunch of "Brucie Bonus" episodes scattered in between all that.

BTW, they're Irish, not British (except for Maffew, but again, not one of the regulars). ?

And speaking of Botchamania...

Edited by MightyJordan