DVI vs HDMI vs DisplayPort

Which one of these technologies do you favour as a dominating one in the near future for the PC market?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Which Format?

• HDMI
    • DVI
    • DisplayPort

haha!

I remember those old pre-1980's 36 pin parallel ports. They were used in printers mostly I believe. Oh man, they were huge!

Parallel Ports > USB

HDMI might not do well because most people like separate speakers from their LCDs. DVI still has a long time to strive. Display Port poses a threat.

I ordered UltraSharp 2408WFP 24'' today. The previous model costs the same so I decided to go with a newer version. And if it goes on sale within the next three weeks, I'll get the price difference.

To me the thing that will get an instant benefit is laptops. The LCD cables and controllers in laptops are....touchy. Not really hard to work with mind you, but not that great either. It's about time something was worthy of replacing LVDS.

As for desktops, hey I'll use it as soon as I can, but I'm not about to go out and buy a new monitor for it...I just got this one last year and it'll last me a while.

Displayport = Future, at least they are going to try and get all video cards to have an output first then all the Monitor companies will adopt it, then no more DVI hopefully.

DVI is a dead technology, its been pretty much eliminated on TV's thanks to HDMI, and soon Displayport will arrive on TV's to connect to pc's instead of VGA and DVI-D ports.

lol my 19 inch widescreen still uses VGA, yeah I'm old school.

• 4 weeks later...
has anyone hooked up their LCD Monitor (PC) to HDMI from video card to monitor? or has anyone tried DisplayPort?

Although there are LCD panels with DisplayPort, there are currently none GPUs with one. The latest cards come with DVI-DisplayPort adapter so using that instead of direct DVI is kinda pointless. Better cable management is the only real benefit of DisplayPort since it supports USB and audio.

As for HDMI, I use it to hook up my GPU thru DVI-HDMI cable to my AV receiver. It works great :)

After reading a bit more on DP, I must say that it sounds very nice and I fully support it. I don't believe that the continued separation of computer and home entertainment connections is a bad thing as the applications are entirely different. I like HDMI a lot, but it's meant for home theater use, while DP is meant for computer use and will excel at that.

Although there are LCD panels with DisplayPort, there are currently none GPUs with one. The latest cards come with DVI-DisplayPort adapter so using that instead of direct DVI is kinda pointless. Better cable management is the only real benefit of DisplayPort since it supports USB and audio.

As for HDMI, I use it to hook up my GPU thru DVI-HDMI cable to my AV receiver. It works great :)

Actually there is. There is a 9600gt card with display port.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814261001

Actually there is. There is a 9600gt card with display port.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814261001

I was going to say that :) thanks.... Palit makes 2 cards so far that have Display Port 512 9600GT and 1G

There was an ATI card out but I could never find it. 9800GX2 spec's have HDMI port but those cards are a

bit expensive for my taste right now. I wish they made a 9800GX2 with DP and HDMI so I could compare :)

• 2 years later...

1. Do you think HDMI and DisplayPort pose a threat to DVI?
  2. Is there any benefit in upgrading to HDMI and DisplayPort capable LCD monitor for PC usage only?

HDMI is in fact DVI but with sound (adapters use the same signal) so, NO there is very little threat as most PC users are aware, headphones produce exceptional quality when compared to just about any other sound source.

I wouldn't even consider upgrading from Dual Link DVI-D until DP can handle 2560 x 1600 resolutions and makes good on the auxillary line in it's schematic.

On a side note : One has to realize that any manufacturer trying to retain it's customer base is going to include several legacy connections in it's product due to the simple fact that not everyone can afford to upgrade as soon as the latest technology hits the market.

Zombie thread wants brains... smiley_emoticons_zombie02.gif

mmmmmmm Brainssssss :woot:

on a more serious side it would now seem that the humble RJ45 network based connector would be a much more viable option

1: No license fees (DVI, HDMI, Disply Port all require a licensing fee)

2: Secure connection (HDMI, Display Port don't have an secure port connection)

3: Cost an RJ45 plug and CAT6 cable costs less meter for meter over HDMI cables

4: Cabling CAT6 cable has more than enough bandwidth for full HD 1080p and 3D at greater lengths

I have a computer made near the end of the year 2009 it only has vga so does my montitor and xbox i dont see the need for it yet

are you kidding me.

second hand stuff , or really cheap parts

are you kidding me.

second hand stuff , or really cheap parts

A lot of monitors include only VGA, quite a few $120-$150 range monitors, especially from HP, ACER, DELL, etc. Even in 2011. The market still demands VGA, so they continue to be made. Not everyone can afford quality DVI/DisplayPort/HDMI monitors. Especially if they're an individual with a low budget or a business ordering thousands of monitors.

Well, with VGA being discontinued in 2013, it looks to be HDMI and DisplayPort that are the likely candidates for OEM's to move to, bypassing DVI entirely.