[UK] best broadband

I'm asking you for an objective advice on what ISP to get for best internet and value since I'm moving to new house in Redhill (surrey). I've read so many contradicting articles on services, value and deals that got completely confused :(

1- drawn my attention due to unlimited broadband ( A MUST) is O2, but reviews did'nt promised too much ...

2- Orange-same!

3-AOL-, but we all know their support...

All I'm after is 8mb, unlimited, 12 month with free connection, else like wireless routers-(prefered), but not so essential; line rental included (prefered)

Anybody with a real know how in area would recomend me a deal?

Poll added

Thanks for opinions folks!

Edited by Atasas

With experience ive been with

Bulldog *think another company owns them now*

Bt Internet *some people will say they are bad, but im finding it goood, unlimited as well*

but then with this unlimited read the small print, about over-use in peak times ..... :) also known as the fair-use police.

just looked

Bulldog Broadband is a trading name of Pipex Internet Limited, a Tiscali UK company,

on that reminds me

Pipex *had huge problems with, never ever rcvd internet that i was supposed to get from them, never got conected, always some problem*

If you want a good ISP thats unlimited, Expect to pay alot of cash for it. There are few "unlimited" isp's left. Most that say it are in some respect limited or very highly contended.

Your best options for high bandwidth would be one of the Entanet resellers or Zen but expect to pay for that service. Failing that your only option really is to goto one of the LLU providers which are somewhat hit and miss.

virgin media = Dog turd, im with BT and never had any major issues with em

Virgin = bad

Tiscali (pipex and bulldog as they are same company) = awful

BT = bad

AOL = bad

erm... cant really recommend a good one :p

AOL to me is a great i.s.p.

Not had more than two problems.

However, I have decided to move on, last night I requested my m.a.c. number and have set up an account

with bSkyb, for ?10 @ 16mb.

A double speed, and ?14.99 cheaper than AOL.

AOL said they would set me a ?9.99 account @ 8mb, though said they would give me free evening calls and all

weekend, however the operator did not say that AOL would be taking over my call charges.

Thats why I have left them.

If you do sign up for AOL make sure you read all the print and also the micro-print as you might end up paying more than you expect.

I have Sky TV and had Sky Broadband for the past year, and have no complaints. Only had one connection problem maybe 8months ago, get 8mb speeds all the time and can pretty much download as much as I like, of course there is a fair usage policy. So I'd recommend them

i think the fair-usage policy is ok just dont CONSTANT download between the times of 6-10 i think it is.. save ya biggies for 10+ :p

My BT line is always connected and I get a constant 6Mb connection (although P2P/Bittorrent is capped between 6pm and midnight). And while 'Unlimited' doesn't actually mean 'unlimited', the 120GB allowance is way more than I need each month. Other ISPs around here, particularly Virgin Media, have constant dropouts, the bandwidth is throttled as soon as the Americans come online and the ping you get in games is horrendous. We're so pleased with BTs service that we've agreed to another 12 month contract with them, and for that we get a ?2.50/month saving.

What do you mean?

All I can say is I have never had any problems with them, and we have been upgraded from 512kb to 1mb to 2mb to 5mb to 8mb all for free over the years. And I do some heavy downloading (today I have downloaded minimum 8gbs). And we have never been capped, for anything!

Hmm thats the one @17.99?

http://www.demon.net/demon/products/intern.../broadband/home

My BT line is always connected and I get a constant 6Mb connection (although P2P/Bittorrent is capped between 6pm and midnight). And while 'Unlimited' doesn't actually mean 'unlimited', the 120GB allowance is way more than I need each month. Other ISPs around here, particularly Virgin Media, have constant dropouts, the bandwidth is throttled as soon as the Americans come online and the ping you get in games is horrendous. We're so pleased with BTs service that we've agreed to another 12 month contract with them, and for that we get a ?2.50/month saving.

and in some cases its's reviewd as poor...

one of them

Definately Demon- I use Home Office.

http://www.demon.net/

(Y)

They have a FUP, if I go over 90GB in a month, I get restricted in the daytime for a month (so I get the same speeds that I got with my last ISP hahaha).

They actually put you back onto normal speeds after as well, unlike most ISPs.

I've heard "Plusnet" are good too, the guys at work recommend them.

I've been very happy with UK Online:

http://www.ukonline.net/pro/

Their tech support is free and uk based, which is nice bonus. May not be the cheapest but I've never had any problem downloading (I download a lot!) or noticed throttling during peak hours (although they do say a fair usage policy applies I've never noticed it). I've just upgraded to the 16mb package (and have 1.6mb per sec downloads now!).

Definately Demon

http://www.demon.net/

(Y)

They have a FUP, if I go over 90GB in a month, I get restricted in the daytime for a month (so I get the same speeds that I got with my last ISP hahaha).

They actually put you back onto normal speeds after as well, unlike most ISPs.

...even though ?7.99 more expensive than IE O2?