Not enough space on Blu-ray for MGS4

Yes it is. I just started watching these series, at first I thought what the hell but after couple of episodes it got interesting. Now I can't stop watching, I am watching the sub episodes.

How on earth do you run out of space on a 50GB disk?

Regarding cutscenes, I remember a video a while ago where they said all the cutscenes would be rendered in-game (as well as people on monitors and such).

A lot of the MGS4 cutscenes will be in game, but if you've played the previous ones they do have some FMV scenes, for example they show real life scenes of war/explosions/weapons/people/countries/ect.

Also the flashback scenes will be FMV - You know the cutscenes from MGS1/MGS2/MGS3 that will be in the game. These are accessed by pushing circle I think it is during certain MGS4 cutscenes - To try and help clue up those who have never played any other game in the series.

For example if they reference Metal Gear Rex, you can push circle to hear/see a backstory on Rex.

You think if a decent % of each of the MGS1/MGS2/MGS3 cutscenes are included, thats probably another GAMES worth of FMVs on top of MGS4. And you can bet the previous game cutscenes are remastered in some from, to up them to 720p/1080p.

Yeah yeah, all those cutscenes from previous games could be replaced by text on screen/only audio, but whats more immersive? Whats a new gamer to MGS4 more likely to pay attention to?

I've only played MGS2 on the XBOX, and although it's not one of my favorite games, it's quite good.

Now, for what I've seen, MGS gives you more than just the game, it creates an experience, just like a movie, it's got a very cinema like look.

So when you factor in all the FMV they probably wanted to use in MGS4, 50GB is quite small. Think about it, a BD disc is enough for about 1 or 2 full length movies in HD. Now add the game itself... not enough.

Without the FMV's it's not that big of a game I guess, could probably go 15/20GB or so.

This will come back to bite Kojimas ass when they rip MGS4 and reveal the real filesize ^^

I hope this is true. Then Konami should sack Hideo Kojima for spreading FUD because this is what this is (Obviously thats not going to happen)

Maybe he doesn't want to use compression because of the space Blu-ray has and just use it all for the hell of it, but i agree, he should be moaning more about the slow Blu-ray drive and limited memory the PS3 has.....

Just sounds like a way to promote MGS4 and build up the hype because this is what is going on here.

Again, like i said i hope they do rip the disc image and exposed him for the liar he is.

lol "ps3 propaganda" , now THAT is BS. so people arent allowed to discuss limitations on the ps3 because we shouldnt hurt the feelings of 360 fans? gimme a break. Anyone in here complaining from that angle really should stop using a computer all together before they have a nervous breakdown from unintentional insults.

This is very simple. MGS has always been a AUDIO HEAVY series. and as we goto newer generations of game systems so do the audio technologies advance, dolby surround sound all that crap, (im not an audio guy). higher sound quality takes up more space, and before people start talking about compression again, maybe he doesnt want to compromise quality? did u think of that!?!? maybe its not your game, maybe your not making it. maybe there is not definitive RIGHT or WRONG way to go about this. MGS4 is CLEARLY not coming out on the 360 and if these limitations are apparent then it definently wont come out on the 360 on less than 4 discs ANYTIME soon. So if you like MGS4 enough that Kojima's words are seen by you as insults to 360 because you want MGS4 on the 360 SO BAD.... BUY A PS3 and please STFU already.

I hope this is true. Then Konami should sack Hideo Kojima for spreading FUD because this is what this is (Obviously thats not going to happen)

Maybe he doesn't want to use compression because of the space Blu-ray has and just use it all for the hell of it, but i agree, he should be moaning more about the slow Blu-ray drive and limited memory the PS3 has.....

Just sounds like a way to promote MGS4 and build up the hype because this is what is going on here.

Again, like i said i hope they do rip the disc image and exposed him for the liar he is.

holy crap, you need to step back and read what you just wrote.

lets forget all the other games Kojima made and basically call him a hack for criticizing the limit of bluray! my god, the $*@!$#&ing backwards logic here from 360 fans is amazing. I mean hes basically insulting the PS3's storage and you guys still find something to complain about!

and what if it is just a way to promote MGS4? whats wrong with that? he cant talk abotu the game he is making? remember they want to sell this game too because thats their business! ive got to give PS3 fans a lot of credit. these arguments that are literally about nothing are aggrevating. I cant believe Audioboxer actually justifies these dumb comments with actual well thought out arguments. it boggles the mind!

Obsess much icon? wow...

how can i not? lol this argument is as stupid as lets say if someone who makes signs tells someone that the red used in stops signs isnt RED enough and then colour blind people everywhere complained that he said that. like.... WHAT!?

higher sound quality takes up more space, and before people start talking about compression again, maybe he doesnt want to compromise quality? did u think of that!?!?

There's a difference between preserving quality and being stupid.

"Includes full 5.1 channel audio sound track for dogs" isn't a desirable feature.

Anyway, I doubt that there isn't any compression going on.

There's a difference between preserving quality and being stupid.

"Includes full 5.1 channel audio sound track for dogs" isn't a desirable feature.

Anyway, I doubt that there isn't any compression going on.

Took me a second to get that. :rofl: Can I use it as my signature?

What the...... how do you run out of space on bd?

that's ridiculous.

I agree but it's got to something with lack of compression

I should imagine that if the game does have lots of CGI / video elements to it, and you need to ensure that they're all in HD quality too, you end up eating the space pretty quickly.

Still I do find it pretty amazing that they couldn't get the game all in on 50GB!

also, isnt 50gb only on dual layer br? i havent read anything about any game ever being put on a dual layer br yet. So this could just be a 25gb disc that is running out of room, correct?

edit: nm, looks like ign says its the 50.

eh, even so, horrible compression either being done or not being done. No reason why any game should take up more than 10gigs right now. lazy developers.

also, isnt 50gb only on dual layer br? i havent read anything about any game ever being put on a dual layer br yet. So this could just be a 25gb disc that is running out of room, correct?

edit: nm, looks like ign says its the 50.

eh, even so, horrible compression either being done or not being done. No reason why any game should take up more than 10gigs right now. lazy developers.

So every game bigger than 10GB = Lazy developers?

God, thank goodness some of you guys are NOT game developers.

I can just imagine it now,

Half way through MGS4 a popup comes up on the screen "Sorry, we only ever believe on releasing our games packed into 1 DVD, from now on enjoy text rich cutscenes with no need for audio!" :rofl:

Half way through MGS4 a popup comes up on the screen "Sorry, we only ever believe on releasing our games packed into 1 DVD, from now on enjoy text rich cutscenes with no need for audio!" :rofl:

^^^

epic fail at being funny

^^^

epic fail at being funny

It's in better spirit than the rest of the people in here spiteing Kojima and telling Konami they can't develop/program a game.

Kojima's words can't be bought with money as much you think it to be

Money does in some ways dictate the quality of games(for R&D purposes) or anything material for that matter.. But the overall appreciation and thought put into developing the game is priceless.

now that was funny lol (Y) :)

lol "ps3 propaganda" , now THAT is BS. so people arent allowed to discuss limitations on the ps3 because we shouldnt hurt the feelings of 360 fans? gimme a break. Anyone in here complaining from that angle really should stop using a computer all together before they have a nervous breakdown from unintentional insults.

This is very simple. MGS has always been a AUDIO HEAVY series. and as we goto newer generations of game systems so do the audio technologies advance, dolby surround sound all that crap, (im not an audio guy). higher sound quality takes up more space, and before people start talking about compression again, maybe he doesnt want to compromise quality? did u think of that!?!? maybe its not your game, maybe your not making it. maybe there is not definitive RIGHT or WRONG way to go about this. MGS4 is CLEARLY not coming out on the 360 and if these limitations are apparent then it definently wont come out on the 360 on less than 4 discs ANYTIME soon. So if you like MGS4 enough that Kojima's words are seen by you as insults to 360 because you want MGS4 on the 360 SO BAD.... BUY A PS3 and please STFU already.

Wow....Are you working with Hideo Kojima on this game...?

To keep sound and video quality at it's best...

Right, cuz gamers have the uber setup to play back the best audio and video :p

Pure BS on Kojima's part. So if the disc is 100% maxed out, does that mean the game will cost more than current PS3 games since it comes with SO much more?!