Not enough space on Blu-ray for MGS4

Right, cuz gamers have the uber setup to play back the best audio and video :p

Pure BS on Kojima's part. So if the disc is 100% maxed out, does that mean the game will cost more than current PS3 games since it comes with SO much more?!

Even if only 5-10% of gamers have expensive setups isn't it better for them to see a game making use of their system than not?

It's a win-win situation.

Why complain if a game has the qualities to support the best of the best audio/TV setups?

As for costs, yes MGS has cost a LOT of money to make - Did you not read the claims that it has to sell 1m on day 1 to recoup costs?

The costs to make the game is what a lot of gaming sites used as a wedge to claim multiplatform support would have to come.

interested to see what he put in it ... would be awesome if all that space would be used for some crazy things like adaptable enemies and increased routines and such 9not so much for movies but no doubt a huge chunck of that will be video

Even if only 5-10% of gamers have expensive setups isn't it better for them to see a game making use of their system than not?

It's a win-win situation.

Why complain if a game has the qualities to support the best of the best audio/TV setups?

As for costs, yes MGS has cost a LOT of money to make - Did you not read the claims that it has to sell 1m on day 1 to recoup costs?

The costs to make the game is what a lot of gaming sites used as a wedge to claim multiplatform support would have to come.

EXACTLY! So why not shoot for the common denominator (not 5-10% of HT yokkles) and use your resource uber efficiently (for the other 90+ %) instead of wondering about for years producing a game that may break the bank instead of creating a profit for the studio?

Sony has a lot to lose with this title. If it doesn't sell enough to recoup what was put into it it wont be looking good for them or their stockholders. I foresee it selling very well, but probably not at the levels of Halo 3 which is what Sony must have.

This is not a win win situation, rather far from. If you have the capabilities to experience this "phenomenally beautiful game" then you individually win, if not you will never know and proverbially "lose out". To the vast majority who will never know, it is of no importance. Move on to the next flavor of the month.

EXACTLY! So why not shoot for the common denominator (not 5-10% of HT yokkles) and use your resource uber efficiently (for the other 90+ %) instead of wondering about for years producing a game that may break the bank instead of creating a profit for the studio?

Sony has a lot to lose with this title. If it doesn't sell enough to recoup what was put into it it wont be looking good for them or their stockholders. I foresee it selling very well, but probably not at the levels of Halo 3 which is what Sony must have.

This is not a win win situation, rather far from. If you have the capabilities to experience this "phenomenally beautiful game" then you individually win, if not you will never know and proverbially "lose out". To the vast majority who will never know, it is of no importance. Move on to the next flavor of the month.

Oh cmon MGS4 is going to sell millions.

Of course they'll pour money into this title to make it AAA in story/graphics and sound.

It's the last in the fricking series, it's going out with a bang.

And trust me, every PS3 owner will know about this game... add to that the American bundled model thats coming out - That has never been done before, not with MGS1/MGS2 or MGS3.

MGS3 sold 3.6 million, I see this easily selling more.

If they are using uncompressed audio and 10x more chatter then any previous MGS games, only then they will need more space. Graphics wise and map size will be around 8 to 10 gig max and let say CG for another 4 to 5 gig unless they are showing the whole freaking movie in the game.

On the other hand weren?t they going to explaining the whole story of MGS, so there might be lengthy video in there explaining the whole MGS series in detail?.

If they are using uncompressed audio and 10x more chatter then any previous MGS games, only then they will need more space. Graphics wise and map size will be around 8 to 10 gig max and let say CG for another 4 to 5 gig unless they are showing the whole freaking movie in the game.

On the other hand weren?t they going to explaining the whole story of MGS, so there might be lengthy video in there explaining the whole MGS series in detail?.b>

Yeah I said that earlier in the thread.

They are using segments of MGS1/MGS2/MGS3 - So more FMVs.

Plus the scenes will no doubt be remastered to 720p/1080p.

bull****. If it really is using that much space then they are wasting it just like Blu-ray videos do by using uncompressed audio. Nothing needs such an obscene amount of storage at the moment.

bull****. If it really is using that much space then they are wasting it just like Blu-ray videos do by using uncompressed audio. Nothing needs such an obscene amount of storage at the moment.

Konami are now wasting space?

That's a new one to me.

I'm sure they sat down in the planning stages for MGS4, and top of the checklist for the game was "Find a way to waste space".

That's a new one to me.

I'm sure they sat down in the planning stages for MGS4, and top of the checklist for the game was "Find a way to waste space".

Wait a sec... This is about Hideo Kojima making his personal facts, he might work for Konami but the rest of the company could be already looking at him thinking "what the hell did you say" we are having no issues with the media.

Also MGS4 will not sell any near as many copies at Halo3. Alot of people have given up hope on the series after the first one.

Also MGS4 will not sell any near as many copies at Halo3. Alot of people have given up hope on the series after the first one.

Like who? Frat boys who cant follow a very well constructed story and exceptionally developed characters?

Well, if Hideo its still making these sort of games I am pretty sure he dont care about them.

Wait a sec... This is about Hideo Kojima making his personal facts, he might work for Konami but the rest of the company could be already looking at him thinking "what the hell did you say" we are having no issues with the media.

?

If you know how emotional Kojima is about his franchise, you'll know only what he wants gets done.

And when did I say anything about Halo 3 sales? Why bring that comparison into this?

I was talking about MGS4 selling more than MGS3, I don't give two hoots about Halo 3 just now.

?

If you know how emotional Kojima is about his franchise, you'll know only what he wants gets done.

And when did I say anything about Halo 3 sales? Why bring that comparison into this?

I was talking about MGS4 selling more than MGS3, I don't give two hoots about Halo 3 just now.

If you compare how big the PS2 Install base was when MGS3 came out, it only managed to sell 3.6 Million copies.

You are saying MGS4 will sell better and PS3 has a much smaller install base and i mean MUCH smaller. 40%+ of people that have PS3 now has to buy the game....not going to happen.

If you compare how big the PS2 Install base was when MGS3 came out, it only managed to sell 3.6 Million copies.

You are saying MGS4 will sell better and PS3 has a much smaller install base and i mean MUCH smaller. 40%+ of people that have PS3 now has to buy the game....not going to happen.

It's going to be much bigger this time (marketing wise and the production values on the game), adding to that the PS3 bundle which will go on sale in the USA - Each bundle sold will be added to the sales figure for MGS.

The majority that own a PS3 just now, are all saying MGS4 is a certain purchase for them. Mainly because it's the first of the PSs massive exclusive franchises to hit the PS3.

I don't think it will have a problem exceeding 3.6 million sales in the lifetime of the PS3.

Maybe it won't double MGS3 sales (who knows?) but I think you're being a little pessimistic if you think the finale to the MGS series is going to sell less than MGS3.

The finale that has also been westernized a lot as well - Better camera, able to play the whole game in FPS, and includes what will be a REAL online package for the franchise - MGO.

MGS1 sold 6 million, MGS2 7 million - Bearing in mind these were multiplatform releases, but the majority of the sales will have came from the PS1/PS2.

That's a new one to me.

audio, either you work for sony or you need to take a chill pill. your acting like every comment on here is against you. seriously. focus on something else. When computer games have yet to reach the 10 gig mark, saying that a console game is taking 50 gigs does sound a bit ridiculous. I dont care how much HD textures and sound and movies they have. If they are filling 50 gigs, they arent doing it correctly.

That's a new one to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony were telling them to waste space. Someone is telling the Blu-ray mastering houses to put 6 uncompressed 6 channel soundtracks on the discs with the films when they could be using lossless compression.

audio, either you work for sony or you need to take a chill pill. your acting like every comment on here is against you. seriously. focus on something else. When computer games have yet to reach the 10 gig mark, saying that a console game is taking 50 gigs does sound a bit ridiculous. I dont care how much HD textures and sound and movies they have. If they are filling 50 gigs, they arent doing it correctly.

You need to not tell me how im feeling, as I don't feel anything posted is against me.

I'm passionate about the MGS franchise, and some of the comments in here are downright stupid. I like to bring these points to light and try to show how badly some of you should re-think what you type.

Take it as a lesson in common sense.

When computer games have yet to reach the 10 gig mark

Maybe you should do some research, but RPGS have hit and exceeded the 10GB mark.

Also even if games hadn't, what happens when the 1st game does? Do you run around claiming no game ever will?

You do realise games will continue to grow in size.

If they are filling 50 gigs, they arent doing it correctly.

The kind of comment I find bamboozling.

How can any of you instruct Konami on how to do a better job?

Did you oversee the completition of MGS? Do you know everything that is on the disc? Have you programmed in the gaming industry for many years?

Have you even made a game for a next gen system?

What evidence?

Saying others games can?

Read the last paragraph I added to my post. If you have the space, you'll use it if you can find a way to/need to. Without multiplatform in mind, you have no standards to adhere to like the space of a DVD9 being 8GB or w/e it is.

MGS4 has shown it has a ton of FMVS from the first games in forms of flashbacks, coupled with the FMVS it will have from MGS4 itself.... and so forth.

Without the game in our hands/being disected how can you say there is evidence to prove it can be done on a DVD?

All you guys are doing right now is bluntly saying Kojima is "lieing" :/

Look at Mass Effect. Loads of content, cutscenes and graphically amazing. It all fit on a 9GB DVD disc. Same with Oblivion as well as Halo 3 (which is also content overblown).

Now we have MGS4, which for some reason cannot fit on a 50GB disc... five and a half times the amount of space that was used for Oblivion, Mass Effect and Halo 3. All three games could fit on a blue ray disc without a problem.

The fact of the matter is, using up 50GB for a game is incomprehensible. That would be a game 5.5 times larger than any game before it that came on a single disc. Thats also almost larger than most multi-disc games out today.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony were telling them to waste space. Someone is telling the Blu-ray mastering houses to put 6 uncompressed 6 channel soundtracks on the discs with the films when they could be using lossless compression.

Oh yeah, best thing ever for Sony to be doing.

Look at Mass Effect. Loads of content, cutscenes and graphically amazing. It all fit on a 9GB DVD disc. Same with Oblivion as well as Halo 3 (which is also content overblown).

Now we have MGS4, which for some reason cannot fit on a 50GB disc... five and a half times the amount of space that was used for Oblivion, Mass Effect and Halo 3. All three games could fit on a blue ray disc without a problem.

The fact of the matter is, using up 50GB for a game is incomprehensible. That would be a game 5.5 times larger than any game before it that came on a single disc. Thats also almost larger than most multi-disc games out today.

ME had many planets to visit, but how badly did those planets look exactly the same as each other? All/95% of it's cutscenes were in game as well, same with Oblivion.

Anyway why are people stuck with this mindset that no game can be any different from others?

Why can't Lost Odyssey fit on 1 DVD if ME could?

Absolutely pointless comparisons to bring up, every game has different content, is made differently and does different things.

It's almost as if none of you will ever embrace the idea of games expanding out, using up more space and including more content/more user options (audio/video?) on one disc.

Why do you hate the idea of games growing in size soo much? :/

Funny, because Sony were pushing the extra space as one of the major advantages of Blu-ray over HD DVD. Filling up those discs with crap would be just what they want.

Remember when CDs were first out? Games used to have uncompressed CD Audio soundtracks that took up 90% of the disc (Worms 2 is an example that I can think of). Then as games got bigger they still managed to cram it all on to one CD until finally it wasn't big enough, but it took years. Same thing is happening here.

Funny, because Sony were pushing the extra space as one of the major advantages of Blu-ray over HD DVD. Filling up those discs with crap would be just what they want.

Remember when CDs were first out? Games used to have uncompressed CD Audio soundtracks that took up 90% of the disc (Worms 2 is an example that I can think of). Then as games got bigger they still managed to cram it all on to one CD until finally it wasn't big enough, but it took years. Same thing is happening here.

I believe the gaming developers get to choose what they put on their discs.

I remember saying earlier Konami is a 3rd party developer - I think they call the shots.

Then as games got bigger they still managed to cram it all on to one CD until finally it wasn't big enough, but it took years. Same thing is happening here.

Uhhh precisely. However some people seem to be totally against embracing this idea to the point where they want Hideo to get sacked, are telling Konami they can't make a game worth **** and that Sony are filling discs up with random space.

Uhhh why exactly are we saying all that?

We have a pretty solid history to look back on to see "space" requirements for games have gone up, not gone down.

You misunderstood. Games do not absolutely need 50GB of space, but sure you can easily fill that. Even games from a few years ago could have filled 50GB if they really wanted to. If MGS4 really is using more than 50GB of space, they are doing it because they can, not because they have to.

You misunderstood. Games do not absolutely need 50GB of space, but sure you can easily fill that. Even games from a few years ago could have filled 50GB if they really wanted to. If MGS4 really is using more than 50GB of space, they are doing it because they can, not because they have to.

And you know this because?

Not saying I know any better, but I find it hard that people on a forum know exactly what space MGS4 should be using without even knowing what is in the game, or having being involved in development.

im not even going to bother. audio is taking this as his next crusade. ( if you dont believe me audio, count how many of the post in this topic are from you...)

but i will put in this, i have yet to have a RPG on a computer take more than 10 gigs. hell, even WOW with all the expansions was only 9 gigs.... but really, nothing i say will do anything, and nothing you say will either. ill just stop looking in most of these threads past the first article.

I concur w/ audioboxer on this one..

We shouldn't claim situations of development to be for MGS4. This is the HD era after all..

and there's sh*t we just don't know.. Hell the game isn't out yet..

Don't cash checks your mouth can't patch..

im not even going to bother. audio is taking this as his next crusade. ( if you dont believe me audio, count how many of the post in this topic are from you...)

but i will put in this, i have yet to have a RPG on a computer take more than 10 gigs. hell, even WOW with all the expansions was only 9 gigs.... but really, nothing i say will do anything, and nothing you say will either. ill just stop looking in most of these threads past the first article.

Crusade?

Yeah maybe, crusade of showing how silly/unreasonable some of you are being. Contributing towards what is wrong with the gaming industry instead of what is right.

Now please enlighten me on WHY you are talking about a PC in this topic?

Console RPGs are over 10GB, I don't care about WoW, why should anyone in this topic?