• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Windows XP SP3 Twice as Fast as Windows Vista – Leaves Vista SP1 in t

Raa    1,530
Maybe if they tested it on a vista compatible machine they'd see different results. 1gb RAM should not be used with XP let alone Vista. Do the same test with 2-3gb RAM and I'm sure Vista will perform more equally against XP.

More equally? How can something be more equal. It's either worse, equal or better.

I agree though, do the test again with 3gb of ram, it will be better, but tbh, XP will still trump Vista. :/

Just the way things go?

NEVER85    246
More equally? How can something be more equal. It's either worse, equal or better.

I agree though, do the test again with 3gb of ram, it will be better, but tbh, XP will still trump Vista. :/

Just the way things go?

Lol, no it won't.

Prince Charming    163

Wow, uh, yeah. OfficeBench tests. I'm sure that's all you need to quantify something as twice as fast. Cos nothing else is a relevant test. Of course.

arsekicker    0
Bull****

I have an GA-X38-DQ6, Radeon 3870, WD Raptor 150.... and nothing but trouble with Vista. (see here for latest: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=623562)

What your statement should read: buy the exact same hardware MS devs used to build Vista, and you won't have any problems.

EDIT:

oh yeah, it's also running w/ 6GB of RAM, so don't even go there.

From your other article you mention nothing has changed. Obviously something has? Obviously it's not Vista.... unless you rearranged the bits on your cd... Have you checked the boot order, to make sure the IDE drive isn't getting hit first? Vista may see you drives, but have you tried loading the motherboard's raid drivers during setup? What troubleshooting have you done? People have always had problems installing operating systems when they don't know exactly what they're doing. Have you run diags on any of your hardware to make sure nothing has happened there? Tried an alternate IDE cable? Before you complain about the OS, make sure you've tried everything else. Try pulling some sticks of memory, through the history of OS's there have always been issues with having large amounts of RAM installed during the install. It really grinds my gears when I see a post like this hijacking another thread when very little troubleshooting has been done and then you blame it on the OS. Are you even running 64bit?

Scorbing    517

I haven't had a single issue with my Vista as far as problems, crashes or weird things is concerned. The only thing that annoys me is about is its performance compared to XP. I am sorry if this hurts some of your feelings, but XP is way faster than this piece of sh... Vista. Like I said before, its not going to get better until SP2 is released and for that we are gonna have to wait a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

alpha_omega    1
I did not write this so don't flame me. I just found it and thought I share it with you all as I want to hear everyone's opinion about it.

Where've you been the past 4 months?! Old news...

Scorbing    517
Where've you been the past 4 months?! Old news...

I am not in here 24/7 like you probably are. Some of us DO have a real life.

BoDEAN    68
God, Windows XP is so old now. GET-OVER-IT!

Buy yourself GOOD hardware and you wont have any problems with Windows Vista.

Agree'd

kak    0

My computer can run Vista just fine. I have a problem with the overall design of Vista. Its garbage. My girl has it on her laptop and I cannot stand using it. I won't upgrade to it until I absolutely have to.

Windam    0
QFT

and ram is ridiculously cheap now days, you get get 4 gigs for like under 100 bucks easy.

I'm Barak Obama and I aprove this message.

Brandon Live    232

This blog post is from last November, referring to benchmarks done even earlier. Why was this posted here today? There were already several threads about this months ago.

Fact is, those benchmarks are absurd. They time how long it takes to open a new window, which obviously is going to be slower when opening a window runs a half-second animation versus when it just appears. Yes, fade-in animations make Windows appear more slowly. Longer minimze / restore animations will take longer. It took a real genius to figure that one out, apparently.

bobbba    9
Bull****

I have an GA-X38-DQ6, Radeon 3870, WD Raptor 150.... and nothing but trouble with Vista. (see here for latest: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=623562)

What your statement should read: buy the exact same hardware MS devs used to build Vista, and you won't have any problems.

EDIT:

oh yeah, it's also running w/ 6GB of RAM, so don't even go there.

considering the vast number of people who have got vista working it's going to be a problem with your setup not vista. maybe you need some tech support as you seem to be struggling to live up to your lameass "computer guru" username...

DigitalE    10

When does SP3 come out?

benplace    65

If they still released updates and drivers, how much do you bet Windows 98 would smoke XP and Vista on this harware. Come on people.

Shetland    5
1gb RAM should not be used with XP

what are you on about, thats absolute bollocks. xp should do fine on 512, 1gb for power users.

nX07    0

I shouldn't have to buy a new graphics card, a better CPU, and more ram just to install an operating system. XP is just fine. And for the sake of this conversation, i'm running Vista SP1.

Technically, no you don't. But, if you want progression, you'll eventually have to upgrade your hardware.

That Guy    11
what are you on about, thats absolute bollocks. xp should do fine on 512, 1gb for power users.

+1, he needs to read a good book on XP.

My experience has so far been neutral with Vista, although at the moment, the only thing stopping me going back to XP is DX10.

Chicane-UK    674

lol - I think I read a new Vista squabbling discussion on a near enough daily basis now.

So - my update for today is that I wiped my office PC and put Vista on it, knowing that SP1 was just around the corner. I thought maybe the 7 or so times i'd tried it before i'd missed something so gave it another shot.

To be fair, this time around it's a slightly better experience. I've turned off a few things that bug me (SuperFetch, and ropey power management) and am getting a reasonably good user experience out of it though I still feel that it offers nothing more for ME as a user over XP other than UI glitz. Thankfully i'm relatively shallow and I like the new look after however many years if the Classic UI :)

Still can't see me moving over at home though. It is noticably slower for me in the games I play and I ran into weird problems with Battlefield 2.. and I use OSX at home as my day to day OS so merely need Windows for games and nothing more!

Barry Gurung    0

Vista is good but now now..

Vista has got all the drivers and even search online for new hardwares

But xp is fast thats the key

One more thing, too much holes :p

Easy for hackers

rtk    0
+1, he needs to read a good book on XP.

My experience has so far been neutral with Vista, although at the moment, the only thing stopping me going back to XP is DX10.

Hardly, don't need a book to tell me that XP sp2 with 512MB is an absolute dog.

Borbus    1
God, Windows XP is so old now. GET-OVER-IT!

Buy yourself GOOD hardware and you wont have any problems with Windows Vista.

So just because Windows XP is "old", you should waste your money and power on Vista?

abshack    0

Read the specs on the test computer: "1gb of ram"

This benchmark is useless for me. I'm not running Vista on an old machine.

ANova    0
So just because Windows XP is "old", you should waste your money and power on Vista?

I've wondered if Microsoft and Intel have an agreement, keep making your software larger and more resource hungry so we can continue to sell faster hardware.

+Audioboxer    2,876

With an E6600 clocked at 3.4Ghz and 4 GB of ram at 1066mhz, I really doubt Windows XP SP3 is 2x as fast as Vista on my rig.

Running Vista SP1 x64 here - SP1 finally converted me to Vista from XP.

That and Vlite to remove all the extra fluff I don't need.

Scorbing    517

I learned a long time ago that just because something is old, doesn't mean you throw it away.

1. Yes Vista is pretty.

2. Yes Vista has its unique features.

3. Yes Vista is the ultimate in technology (although I think Ubuntu is way more advanced)

4. Yes Vista has its moments.

BUT

1. XP is faster in performance.

2. Has been around since 2001 so most of the bugs and problems have been fixed.

3. Has no issues with hardware drivers or software.

4. Can be made to look like Vista with the right tools.

5. Was hated and bashed and critisized just as much as Vista is right now.

My Point?

Give Microsoft a chance to fix Vista. It will get fixed, but it will take another service pack to do it, and of course more updates. Vista was thrown out the door before it was supposed to. Microsoft did not test the OS enough internally and hurried the product to us just to be ahead of the game...big mistake.

Before XP came out, I was using Windows 2000 and when XP finally came out, it took me 1 year and a half to switch to XP and I don't regret every bit of it. It took 1 year for me to dump XP and jump to Vista and I will be honest, sometimes I feel it was a mistake but then again, I thought the same thing about XP back in 2001.