Windows XP SP3 Twice as Fast as Windows Vista – Leaves Vista SP1 in t

It truly is amazing that those of us that have Vista for over a year now are completely happy with it and have no issues. I keep my drivers up to date, I play TF2, I do this and I do that...and viola, no problems or BSOD's or anything of the sort. Man, I must be doing something wrong then shouldn't I? I mean....I don't have problems...

My point is, that this kind of fanboyish posting will go on till everyone is blue in the face. Can't we just leave things be and state our opinions and move on? I guarantee that the OP knew that a 5+ page discussion would follow. In fact, anyone who plans on posting something comparing XP and Vista is likely aware of the result that will occur. I know I will likely get ignored and few will read this, but please consider more useful time spent on other topics on Neowin than this beaten-to-death-10x-over topic of Vista vs XP.

It truly is amazing that those of us that have Vista for over a year now are completely happy with it and have no issues. I keep my drivers up to date, I play TF2, I do this and I do that...and viola, no problems or BSOD's or anything of the sort. Man, I must be doing something wrong then shouldn't I? I mean....I don't have problems...

My point is, that this kind of fanboyish posting will go on till everyone is blue in the face. Can't we just leave things be and state our opinions and move on? I guarantee that the OP knew that a 5+ page discussion would follow. In fact, anyone who plans on posting something comparing XP and Vista is likely aware of the result that will occur. I know I will likely get ignored and few will read this, but please consider more useful time spent on other topics on Neowin than this beaten-to-death-10x-over topic of Vista vs XP.

I read it, I agree. People who like XP can go back to their forum and people who like Vista can stay here.

I've personally never had trouble with Vista, no explorer crashes and BSODS.

pshhhhhhhhhh i'll 1-up you

i've been on vista ultimate x64!!!!!!! since it first came out and i've had zero problems with it. sure i had to wait a few months for my favorite progy's to become vista compatible, but that's not microsoft's fault

never had a BSOD. never had it crash. never had it freeze. and that's saying a lot since i spent the first 3 months tweaking everything setting i could find (i do that with all my new OS's. helps me learn)

and i love how this report directly contradicts the report on the front page of neowin that says vista sp1 is 86% faster and how my experiences has been so diffrent. it's the fastest windows yet

XP use bitmap to render the desktop and Vista use DX10 GPU to render. One of the reason why XP runs faster. XP is using older techniques. Its part of life. DOS runs faster than OSX, VISTA, XP and WIN95 combine. (Dont know if that true)

I haven't had a single issue with my Vista as far as problems, crashes or weird things is concerned. The only thing that annoys me is about is its performance compared to XP. I am sorry if this hurts some of your feelings, but XP is way faster than this piece of sh... Vista. Like I said before, its not going to get better until SP2 is released and for that we are gonna have to wait a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

It is strange to read all of these Vista is slow on my system posts. My system can't touch most of the ones that people are complaning about yet Vista is faster than XP ever was. Having Vista installed for over a year now the only problems i have had was with drivers from Creative and Nvida. But even those were sorted out in a few months after consumer release. Oh and the hardware I have in my sig is not what I had last year. I had a MSI K8TM-ILSR Mainboard with a AMD x64 3000+(754) and 1 gig ram and still Vista was faster than Xp.

you fool! why would you suggest such idiocy! everyone knows windows 3.11 for workgroups runs faster on the same hardware than XP. You can even get it to earn you money by selling some of your RAM to a friend. n00b, sheesh :D

Better yet lets go back to OS/2 Warp! That way you can have hardware made by IBM not be found by the OS..

you may call me a vista basher, but I beleive this article is true. I think if certain parts of vista need are rewritten completely vista will really be a great program. I dont think microsoft will ever take the time to do this, no matter how many service packs come out. I think microsoft will wait for the next version after vista and then make the necessary program changes. You should not have to buy a new computer for vista to work. Jet rid of the parts of vista that hog your system resources, thash your hdd and that paranoid security features.

DO YOU THINK MICROSOFT WILL MAKE THE NECESSARY CHANGES TO VISTA SO PEOPLE WONT WANT XP ANY MORE.

you may call me a vista basher, but I beleive this article is true. I think if certain parts of vista need are rewritten completely vista will really be a great program. I dont think microsoft will ever take the time to do this, no matter how many service packs come out. I think microsoft will wait for the next version after vista and then make the necessary program changes. You should not have to buy a new computer for vista to work. Jet rid of the parts of vista that hog your system resources, thash your hdd and that paranoid security features.

DO YOU THINK MICROSOFT WILL MAKE THE NECESSARY CHANGES TO VISTA SO PEOPLE WONT WANT XP ANY MORE.

Microsoft knows they f...... up with Vista. Even Bill Gates admits to it on a video - not directly - but every intelligent being knows exactly what he tried to say. Telling the interviewer "ask me that when the next version of Windows comes out." says a lot about what he thinks of Vista.

I personally have been running Vista for 2 weeks now and I have to say I am not in love with it but I don't hate it either. I like a lot of the features it has over XP but at the same time I dislike a lot of annoying things such as its performance doing some tasks and its trouble with drivers and applications. I have formatted my machine and re-installed XP again. I will wait until Microsoft fixes Vista and makes it worth my time and money. XP runs great, faster - yes...faster and it is compatible with everything I throw at it.

Enough said.

you may call me a vista basher, but I beleive this article is true.

Then you have problems. Despite all the facts of office bench not being a realistic benchmarking tool, and Devil Mountain Software purposefully misleading people by running Office 2007 on Vista against Office 2003 on XP, you still believe the article? Despite the fact that XP is not twice as fast as Vista you still believe the article...

Not much more that I can say...

This might be difficult for you to grasp, but the people who think it's fashonable to hate on Vista represent a small, vocal minority.

Edited by Mikee99

If I recall everyone was flipping out about XP being a resource hog, incompatible with lots of devices, very insecure with the firewall being a joke, useless preschool-like-color. Then, wow, wouldn't you know.. a few years after release, XP was a-okay in everyone's mind; after people got new PC's or upgrades, people bought new devices or manufacturers made drivers, security was improved with a ramped-up firewall following the service pack release, then the security center after the next service pack release, etc. etc.

XP was made in mind with machines circa 1999~2001 up to 2004. They didn't expect Vista to be delayed for so long..

^that never happened. you made it up.

............................................________........................

....................................,.-??...................``~.,..................

.............................,.-?...................................?-.,............

.........................,/...............................................?:,........

.....................,?......................................................,.....

.................../...........................................................,}....

................./......................................................,:`^`..}....

.............../...................................................,:?........./.....

..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../.....

............./__.(.....?~-,_..............................,:`........../........

.........../(_....?~,_........?~,_....................,:`........_/...........

..........{.._$;_......?=,_.......?-,_.......,.-~-,},.~?;/....}...........

...........((.....*~_.......?=-._......?;,,./`..../?............../............

...,,,___.`~,......?~.,....................`.....}............../.............

............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-?...............

............/.`~,......`-...................................../...................

.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__...........

,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,....

.....`=~-,__......`,.........................................................

...................`=~-,,.,......................................................

................................`:,,...........................`..............__..

.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......

........................................_..........._,-%.......`...............

^that never happened. you made it up.

I did some searching, and here is what I found within minutes:

Xp is horrible. Try and try to get it to work but always something goes wrong. Come on i had to restart the comp 2 times to get IE to start. PLus that i am sorry thingy screen really make me more mad. I know how to get rid of it. I am stuck with it because the other hawkeye screwed up 98.
From reading various boards on the net, I seem to see many users have problems running XP on their systems, even on systems with newer hardware... To be honest with you, I don't know why. I've had no problems installing or running XP on various system configurations and all are running silky smooth. I even have XP running on some older mainboards such as Soltek EV-1 and also a cheapie VIA 686B mainboard and all haven't given me any problems. Only time I've gotten a BSOD on XP is when I loaded certain Det Drivers where it would give me a "nv4_mini.sys" error... Running rock stable with 22.50's now...

I think the problem you have may be with a buggy device driver that isn't quite stable, not the OS...

Tried to change the desktop and the computer restarted. I can no longer install red alert 2. These are some minor things.
also had a lot of issues on the first few loads!

This is definately one OS that you cannot just fdisk, format and reload on a used drive!

I have found thru trial and error that if you want to load XP and have no issues you have to wipe the drive!

I use Maxtor drives exclusively and use their Maxblast utility to write zero's to the drive!

Although it is time consuming it does seem to work!

A lot of manufacturers are coming out with new certified drivers for their devices which will take care of a lot of issues!

I too was ready to throw in the towel after the first couple of loads, At this point I am glad I didn't!

SPEEDO

Some older computers just cant handle XP. Like some Compaqs! Don't even bother.IMO
Would you recommend it? Would there be any complications? I'm currently using Windows 2000. I heard that upgrading to XP isn't all that wise.

It conflicts with alot of programs. When my mom got it, she had to download all new drivers just to ust alot of her programs. Whenever I try to work on her computer, it drives me crazy.

It looks cool though!!!!!!

Yes, I must agree. I just saw how it looked tonight! Which is what brought me to ask the question. It took me a while to get used to the slightly different interface, though.

yeah.. it does look cool... but i heard it causes a lot of complications...

Ick, i think XP is horrible. I haven't heard anything good about it. My friend has it on her laptop, and now we can't even get her computer to connect to the internet anymore...

lol i've already tried upgrading twice (mainly because i like the new look) and both times i went back and uninstalled back to Windows ME because there were problems with some of my programs.. most notably my internet.

http://www.altnation.com/forums/tech-support/37920-xp.html

13th September 2003, 5:15pm: Windows XP is terrible - delete your Operating System.

13th September 2003, 9:08pm: xp is horrible. some win 98 appreciation is needed.

14th September 2003, 5:29pm: XP is windows for dummies with all the pretty colours.

I think I rest my case that XP had the SAME COMPLAINTS AND HARPING that Vista is having now when it first came out and then thereafter (some posts are two years after XP was released on retail, we are just over a year for Vista..). The same and different issues came up, like hardware issues, slow OS, software compatibility, internet connectivity issues, stability , too overboard with the visuals, etc.

Sorry if I seem rude with my sarcastic comments that I had, but it's simply evolution and progression. Obviously there will be problems, Obviously there will be hardware that is not up to par and devices without drivers, and obviously there will be people without no issues.

Edited by nX07

If I recall everyone was flipping out about XP being a resource hog, incompatible with lots of devices, very insecure with the firewall being a joke, useless preschool-like-color.

That's true. It was shiit and it's still buggy error-prone mess.

However M$ tries to do that again, with your help.

They might have fooled me once but to let that happen twice... :no:

Half the people moaning about Vista read too much tabloid and they weren't around computers when XP came about which is why they are saying XP never had problems. Vista has its problems but Microsoft won't ditch it, it's not a bad operating system when all said and done.

Guys.....This kind of discussion has been around for 2-3 years since Vista beta, although I am new to this form. Every Tech site had/has/will still have the same discussion of Vista vs. Xp. It's a matter of preference in the end. You like Vista (Gui-performance-OS in general) then use it, same applies for Xp. If it's a matter of "I like Vista's Gui but hate the performance" or vis versa then YOU should choose between the two (or alternatives for that matter). Nothing is absolute, each user has/had his own situation of both OS's.

In my case, I PREFERRED Vista sp1 since it gave me a good and reasonable performance out of my laptop (I felt a big difference between sp1 from the original vista). Yes Xp is better, but only in significant load (10 office documents+music+10 tabs in Firefox+.....), so in the end, the choice is up to you.

actually performance isn't really an issue. the new kernel is more stable, you can't dispute that.

Ill tell you to do one thing, look at the hardware specs of a leopard machine. OSX is as bad as vista and definately does not come under the banner of XP or linux in performance.

now that they updated to the penryn processors, perhaps you can't say much. in my country, more then half of the notebooks are still manufactured using the merom processors. and my cousin owns a power book running at 1.67 ghz but he still runs leopard. no probs, no hiccups.

I had to laugh at these "XP is better than Vista" comments. Guaranteed 90% of you clowns never actually used Vista and are going by some year old article you read online.

perhaps you shouldn't say that. i'm running vista on a dual-core processor and it the fan is always audible. boot times decrease, but power user's power decrease too. for people like me who like to tweak their oses, vista sux. otherwise kernel stability should help. vista is only productive starting at 2 gb of ram. 4 gb is most recommended.

I'm not about to jump on Vista bashing bandwagon but there are some very annoying aspects of Vista that really need too be addressed. For instance, the maddening HDD thrashing that seems to go on forever after installing a program and the touchy nature of its activation scheme. I sincerely hope we see more performance and reliability updates come after SP1's official debut.

Found a good guide to cut down on the Vista disk thrashing, but it is disabling some vista features.

I've had issues where just un-installing all the hardware drivers, and installing newer drivers tripped having to re-activate.

Technology Advancement. You want to buy a vowel or some clue? LOL :p

its a logical fallacy. False Analogy. go google it :)

I have to agree. While XP is a bit faster on my machine.. it should be, its a lot smaller. Anyone running a newer system with good specs will not complain at how fast Vista SP1 runs. Vista honestly flies on my computer and I'm running in through Bootcamp on an iMac.

perhaps you should realise that apple's hardware choices are usually superior and the design and overall outlook is polished. Hardware is also durable.

New OS = Ubuntu 7.10, runs better than XP on the same hardware.

Explain that.

New Micro$oft OS = Higher requirements

OEMs need to sell new hardware to make more money, Micro$oft needs OEMs to put Winblow$ in their crappy machines.

But of course the truth is that Vi$ta is just so advanced it needs more horsepower. :laugh:

First, let me congratulate you on your extreme cleverness with using a $ for the S in Microsoft. I've never seen that before.

Second, why don't you just throw your computer away and buy an abacus? I've yet to see you post a single thing on Neowin that wasn't Vista bashing.

perhaps you shouldn't say that. i'm running vista on a dual-core processor and it the fan is always audible. boot times decrease, but power user's power decrease too. for people like me who like to tweak their oses, vista sux. otherwise kernel stability should help. vista is only productive starting at 2 gb of ram. 4 gb is most recommended.

So because the OS doesn't need out of box tweaking, it sucks?

That's true. It was shiit and it's still buggy error-prone mess.

That's too bad. Most people using Windows don't have that much trouble with it but it's clearly beyond your intellect so you blame the product.

Try going to Mac OS. There's half as many buttons on it's mice, perhaps you will have an easier time with it.

"New Micro$oft OS = Higher requirements"

Your technical expertise astounds me. You mean to tell me that as software advances it requires more advanced hardware? GET OUTTA HERE! NO WAY! And it's not just Microsoft but other operating systems as well?

That's almost as clever as mis-spelling their name with a dollar sign!

perhaps you should realise that apple's hardware choices are usually superior and the design and overall outlook is polished. Hardware is also durable.

Perhaps you should realize that Apple's hardware choices are usually superior the same as PC hardware choices, therefore the design and overall outlook is polished. Hardware is also durable because it's PC hardware.

Half the people moaning about Vista read too much tabloid and they weren't around computers when XP came about which is why they are saying XP never had problems. Vista has its problems but Microsoft won't ditch it, it's not a bad operating system when all said and done.

So true. I only switched from 2000 to XP after SP2 came out.

actually performance isn't really an issue. the new kernel is more stable, you can't dispute that.

Did you ever try copying files? I did. And the new kernel still has a long way to go.

I had to laugh at these "XP is better than Vista" comments. Guaranteed 90% of you clowns never actually used Vista and are going by some year old article you read online.

Maybe when you do use Vista, and not just look at the "oh so beatiful" glass windows maybe you'll know what the "clowns" experienced...