Vista Won't Install or Load in Mixed IDE/SATA Environment

Same problem as this: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...#entry588782649

I have a GA-X38-DQ6. Vista is installed to SATA0. If I plug in an IDE drive, Vista will boot, show the green loading bar, then go black right before where it would normally show the Windows Logo/Shine thing.

Can't reinstall either, if the IDE drive is plugged in the setup screen freezes on that blank, ugly Aero stage thing.

Even worse: this also happens with the official SP1-slipstreamed media.

Any ideas? I really hate Vista! :-x

IDE is in the Gigabyte IDE-to-SATAII controller. Main drive is in the Intel ICH9 controller.

Doesn't make a difference if I stick the main drive in the Gigabyte controller (in that case, setup dies even earlier). Vista does have the drivers for the GA controller, though. Running either or both drives in legacy IDE (instead of AHCI or native IDE) doesn't make a difference, either.

Hardware:

GA-X38-DQ6

WD Raptor 150

Seagate 120GB IDE

Weirder yet:

Once upon a time, I installed Vista to this same machine with the exact same configuration I'm detailing above. Since then, I formatted and installed without the IDE drive, and now want to use the IDE drive again. :(

Edited by Computer Guru

This sounds like a not-nice hardware or bios issue that you're going to need to take to actual support.

I suspect that your experience would probably be different with better, more functional hardware. As noted, since it works without that IDE drive attached. =\

I am also using a combination of IDE and SATA and also had issues installing Vista. But I had the issue with XP as well.

For me when I install any of the above OS's, it'll give me a message "NTLDR not found" after the first stage of the setup has finished. I have to disable my IDE drives in the BIOS and then start the setup. After the setup I can re-enable my IDE drives again.

Have you tried installing with the IDE drives disabled?

I had that problem too - but vista apparently "fixed itself" .. it rebooted the first time, then booted fine the second time. It happens when I add an external usb drive and power it on before I boot too .. weird happenings.

I had a similar problem with my comp. Basically if you have an intel chipset, Vista doesn't have the Matrix Storage Manger driver it requires to load ACHI properly, and hence bsods. Yes it bsods pretty rapidly and sometimes you cannot notice it.

The BIOS, however, should have an option of disabling ACHI. Disabling it will lead to a slight speed decrease, but at least you can load windows, install the required drivers and then re-enable it.

I think that might be the problem you are having =/

Edited by -Razorfold