PC to HDTV

I have this hdtv http://us.sanyo.com/entertainment/televisi...?productID=1450

and i was planning on buying this http://sewelldirect.com/VGA-to-Component-Video-Converter.asp

so i could use my hdtv as a computer monitor.

now i've heard using the wrong resolution can have potentially harmful results for your hdtv.

the tv is 720p so as long as i run my computer in like say...1280x720 i should be fine right?

also i have xp and when i went to display properties 1280x720 is a resolution i don't have.

the closest i have is 1024x768

if anybody could tell me if the converter will work with my hdtv? if 1280x720 is the correct resolution for my hdtv?

and do i need to get a program to run in a different resolution?

thanks!

It should have the resolution of 1360x768 if i remember right, but that will only appear on your display settings AFTER you've plugged the screen in and it detects it. Also what graphics card do you have? Because you can buy a HDMI to DVI cable, or HDMI to VGA. Or even (if your TV has a VGA input) just a plain VGA cable can connect them up.

i have a geforce FX 5500

i don't think it has any connection that could work with my tv.

thats why i'm planning on buy the converter.

i just don't wanna buy the converter and not know what resolution to display at

and have something blow up. i wanna get all my ducks in a row...so to speak.

now that i've read a bit more...would it be better in the long run to get a dvi capable video card?

then just run an hdmi cable between them?

Edited by JahFriendly

69 bucks for a coverter? :blink: I'd rather put that money towards a new GPU that already comes with DVI-Component adapter.

some TVs via their PC inputs only accept up to a certain resolution. That might be the max. Over HDMI tho you would get the full resolution but via VGA and other connectors it might be limited.

some TVs via their PC inputs only accept up to a certain resolution. That might be the max. Over HDMI tho you would get the full resolution but via VGA and other connectors it might be limited.

I think you've confused it with 1080P upconversion when most players/receivers upconvert to 1080P thru HDMI only. As for a TV, if it is capable of displaying a certain resolution, it should be able to accept such signals thru any of its input connections.

not really... i forget which TV but it was a 720p LCD which had a VGA input or PC input as it was called but the max via that input was 1024 x 768. The other inputs, Component, HDMI/DVI had all up to 1080 but then it would just downscale to match it's native resolution. As you can imagine, i dind't buy that tv and i don't know why it was like that but that's that.

Now my TV doesn't have that issue, i use my laptop via the advanced mini-dock and it works just as it should but that's over HDMI. So while i'm not sure the guys problem above just figured i'd mention that.

As for the OP tho, probably try another VGA thingy as that might be the limiter also.

not really... i forget which TV but it was a 720p LCD which had a VGA input or PC input as it was called but the max via that input was 1024 x 768. The other inputs, Component, HDMI/DVI had all up to 1080 but then it would just downscale to match it's native resolution. As you can imagine, i dind't buy that tv and i don't know why it was like that but that's that.

Now my TV doesn't have that issue, i use my laptop via the advanced mini-dock and it works just as it should but that's over HDMI. So while i'm not sure the guys problem above just figured i'd mention that.

As for the OP tho, probably try another VGA thingy as that might be the limiter also.

That's funny cause both VGA and Component Cable carry exactly the same analog RGB video signal. Same signal, different connection :) So I don't really know why a TV would display let's say 1080i thru Component and not thru VGA, but hey, if you say you've encountered one, I totally believe you.

69 bucks for a coverter? :blink: I'd rather put that money towards a new GPU that already comes with DVI-Component adapter.

huh?

why dont you plug you buy a VGA cable, plug it into the back of your video card and into the back of the LCD TV?

you dont need a new card or a converter....

if you want custom native res for the LCD like 1366x768, get the latest drivers or try laptopvideo2go.com for custom drivers.

huh?

why dont you plug you buy a VGA cable, plug it into the back of your video card and into the back of the LCD TV?

you dont need a new card or a converter....

if you want custom native res for the LCD like 1366x768, get the latest drivers or try laptopvideo2go.com for custom drivers.

i don't think that tv has vga...

monoprice has a vga to s-video adapter, if your tv has an s-video input, and it would be a TON cheaper, although your resolution and clarity will suffer.

i can't personally believe that tv doesn't have a vga input but i would get a different video card rather than a converter box.

something with dvi (or possibly hdmi) out and a dvi to hdmi cable (or straight hdmi) and have a better signal with very little increase in cost.

i don't think that tv has vga...

sorry you right, it doesnt...

first LCD I have seen without VGA in....

I'd go with a new video card with HDMI