• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Restrict/Ban MSN webcam

Question

TheRealDave    5

Linksys router runing latest tomato firmware. I need to find out MSN Live webcam settings to block and try to block them using QoS or access restrictions i think.. I read elsewhere that if you block the port is uses it searches for another. How have people accomplished it?

8 answers to this question

Boakzeor    0
Linksys router runing latest tomato firmware. I need to find out MSN Live webcam settings to block and try to block them using QoS or access restrictions i think.. I read elsewhere that if you block the port is uses it searches for another. How have people accomplished it?

Unplug? :D

TheRealDave    5

If it was that easy! Its for a computer I have no access to.

CitizenSmif    0

Teenage daughter? :p

Is says here that webcams generally use port 8080. But you could be right about it searching for another port.

TheRealDave    5

it is. It's not the fact that she uses it for misuse, it is the fact that she and her 50 friends all have webcam on both ways which is a killer when im using the xbox! Even with QoS.

http://www.themssforum.com/Messanger/WEBCAM-43740/

states that it uses a dynamic range between 9000-10000. Does that mean I filter that whole range?

CitizenSmif    0
it is. It's not the fact that she uses it for misuse, it is the fact that she and her 50 friends all have webcam on both ways which is a killer when im using the xbox! Even with QoS.

http://www.themssforum.com/Messanger/WEBCAM-43740/

states that it uses a dynamic range between 9000-10000. Does that mean I filter that whole range?

Jeebus, why so many? :|

Try blocking those ports and see if it makes a difference.

Although, the MSN itself uses these ports... (according to my router)

If it came to it, you could just block them when you go on, and unblock when you get off. Forcing her to either, not be on MSN, or use a web messenger which won't have webcam support.

post-76789-1205080588.jpg

+BudMan    3,648

And why can you not just have her turn off the webcam when your wanting to play the xbox?

DrCheese    103

I used to run netlimiter http://www.netlimiter.com/ on my sisters PC and limit her overall speed to half our max connection speed. She didn't really notice any difference but I certainly did. I installed it after I got sick of having massive lag spikes during the middle of a raid in WoW, back when I used to play it :p

I never really understood the whole webcam thing anyway, all you see is someone's blank dull face and them moving to type.

TheRealDave    5
And why can you not just have her turn off the webcam when your wanting to play the xbox?

Guess you've never had a teenage sister? Google "Am I bovvered" to see what she is like ;)