Winpopup.exe

I don't know if anyone remember this little windows program called winpopup.exe. I know for sure it was in windows 95 and it used to be a tool (came with windows) that would allow you to talk to users over the network by typing in their user name. Well I did a search for it on my WinXP Pro, but couldn't find it. I was wondering if anyone knows if windows xp comes with this little program?

Thanks alot

think this is what you are looking for, WinMessenger, works with win95 all the way up to winXP.

http://www.winmessenger.com/

WinMessenger is an easy to use program that allows you to send and receive messages from computer to computer in real-time without using dedicated servers. It works over any network protocol (TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, etc.), it is easy to deploy and it does not require computer knowledge or special configuration. WinMessenger will work on your existing network immediately after installation!

Some of WinMessenger's features:

True SMB (WinPopup) compatibility. Some software makers claim that their messaging programs provide standard WinPopup compatibility, but they implement only the most basic type of SMB protocol (for example, in such software you can't send a message to a username or to a non-Windows operating system). WinMessenger offers complete implementation of the SMB protocol, so with it you can do everything you can with WinPopup. For example, you can send a message to a Novell user, receive messages from Linux systems, send and receive messages to/from Windows NT servers and so on.

Available for all Windows platforms. WinMessenger works exceptionally well under all existing implementations of Windows without any updates or upgrades required - from the original release of Windows 95 to the latest Windows XP. Moreover, it takes full advantage of the OS on which it is installed. For example, when you install it on Windows 98, WinMessenger has a flat toolbar. When you install it on Windows Me it also features balloon tray tips. And, in Windows XP it comes with completely new look that matching latest user interface design.

Easy, straightforward user interface without an overload of bells and whistles. WinMessenger looks and acts exactly like Microsoft's standard WinPopup. There are no seldom-used features or confusing settings. We replaced only the annoying things about WinPopup (such as the taskbar button and it's non-resizable window), but stayed true to the useful functionality of the original. Simply put, it is WinPopup without the blemishes.

It works in the system tray (notification area). WinMessenger does not crowd the Windows taskbar - it work in the system tray near the clock.

Minuscule memory and disk footprint. WinMessenger is a highly optimized, compact program. It requires less than 270 KB of hard disk space and under 300 KB of memory! Compare it with the voracious appetites of our competitor's programs.

WinMessenger is 32-bit software (and 64-bit ready!). You may be unfamiliar with the internal architecture of Microsoft WinPopup. Curiously, the WinPopup program you find in 32-bit operating systems like Windows 95 and Windows 98 is only a 16-bit application! Basically, it's a Microsoft quickie design: Windows developers simply took WinPopup's code from Windows 3.1 (a 16-bit operating system), then plopped it into their 32-bit operating systems. Unlike WinPopup, WinMessenger is a true 32-bit application that takes every advantage of modern 32-bit software. Moreover, WinMessenger is fully ready for 64-bit Windows operating systems of the near future. Once Intel's 64-bit processors and the 64-bit version of Windows XP became available, we will release a 64-bit version of WinMessenger (free to licensed users, of course). Protect your investment with WinMessenger!

Fully Unicode compliant on Windows NT/2000/XP. WinMessenger comes as a compliant Unicode application when installed in a Windows OS that supports Unicode (Windows NT/2000 or XP). This means that there are no problems with mixed language texts and multi-byte characters. Additionally, WinMessenger will run seamlessly in these versions of Windows.

Compatible with Windows Terminal Server. WinMessenger's internal architecture allows using it on Windows 2000 or .NET Server or Advanced Server with Terminal Service enabled.

From memory the winpopup program was included with Windows 9x/ME. The problem with it was the other person had to have winpopup running to recieve a message (I think ;)).

For Windows 2000/XP you can use the net send command. Go to the command prompt and type:

net send ""

It should interrupt the recipient with a popup box. :)

It still exists in WinXP under the name "Winchat".

You can find it in C:WINDOWSsystem32winchat.exe

Enjoy :lick: :D :) :D

Well,

There is a command that I've taught the guys in uni how to do...and the technicians cannot trace these (unless you read the header of the message):

Easier method (or in dos):

Start/Run and type:

net send uni_pc_01 Hi there...

The above in bold is an example of the computer number/name.

IP addresses work aswell instead of the computer number/name, as long as there is no firewall (or the firewall is configured correctly).

To find out your computer name: Go into DOS (Start/Run and type cmd), and type: ipconfig..

To send a message to the entire school/college/university (and connecting networks...I did this once (and got away with it):

net send * Merry Xmas...

Hope this helps instead of winpopup.exe :rambo:

Or do what some funny ppl did on ircnet a while back.

Rename your pc to Microsoft, reboot.

Go on irc, scan some ppl's ips. if they have 135 open , means they're running nt.

Start net send ip We have detected illegal versions of Microsoft software on your PC. We will be sending a License Enforcement Officer to your adress shortly.

So the user just sees a window, with above message, seemingly from microsoft.

Scares the crap out of idiot (aol) users :)

Jon