Super Smash Bros Brawl - Discussion

I'm hvaing problems w/ online mode... the matchmaking system seems broken. whenever i go to "with anyone" to try and play online it never finds anyone, just says "seeking" for a while. i have played w/ friends successfully but i can't play with random people. anyone else having this problem? spectator mode seems to work okay though

The WFC 'With Anyone' mode is pretty much down for the moment. Nintendo apparently didn't 'expect' the huge mass of people trying to use it, and... while you might be lucky to connect to a match, chances are you'll get disconnected before it's over. They're apparently working on fixing the problem.

The 'With Friends' option isn't affected by this, however.

Just read another review once again saying the only way to play is with the Gamecube controller.

Eh. I don't know.

The wiimote+nunchuk fits more naturally in your hands, and with a bit of button tweaking, is perfect.

I think the problem is that people are so used to playing melee with a GC controller, that anything else is just too different.

When is the UK release date? I'm getting different answers from different websites :s

-Rich-

I'm hearing 30th May and mid June....

I was over at my friend's place yesterday playing it. It was a pretty fun game, even though I'm no good at it. :p

BTW, we used GameCube controllers.

I've unlocked everyone minus Wolf and Jigglypuff on my copy now..

God that final boss is crazy hard on the emisary mode on the hardest difficulty..

Well, I've been playing Brawl for a few days now, and I dunno, it's definitely good, but it feels different from Melee for some reason. Like it's slower or something. Plus, the controls don't seem as good/accurate. Like, my attacks aren't hitting or I can't pull off a Smash attack, things that were second-nature in Melee. It's almost certainly my imagination, but I've been having more trouble in Subspace Emissary (hard) than I feel I should.

I'm getting used to it. There are some negatives to the game, though:

1. No online leaderboards

2. Unstable online play (I haven't gotten to play a single match online yet)

3. No customizable online play with strangers (I hate 2' KO fest, but I don't see how to change it)

4. Same negatives as all Wii games (no HD, no surround sound, etc)

5. Crappy camera in Subspace Emissary (been killed many times due to a barrel or something shooting me off camera)

Still good, though.

Finally having a friend pick it up tomorrow for me!!! Definetly won't be able to play it until this weekend, but no worries. :p

For those that are saying it seems slower paced, are the maps in general bigger?

Never played Melee enough to tell you, I played it once. But there seems to be a lot of stages going from 'large' to small.

Well, I've been playing Brawl for a few days now, and I dunno, it's definitely good, but it feels different from Melee for some reason. Like it's slower or something. Plus, the controls don't seem as good/accurate. Like, my attacks aren't hitting or I can't pull off a Smash attack, things that were second-nature in Melee. It's almost certainly my imagination, but I've been having more trouble in Subspace Emissary (hard) than I feel I should.

I feel the same way (in fact, I said so several posts up)! The play does seem slower, even with the GC controller. I find the difficulty...unstable. I'm playing embassy on Very Hard, and some levels are a walk in teh park, and others I find myself going to my last life. Sometimes it also seems like the framerate drops like a rock, like when there are more than 5 characters on screen and they are spread out on the larger maps.

Overall I do like the game, it is fun, but it is not leaps and bounds above Melee like I hoped it would be.

Finally got to play it for around 30 minutes and wow. The stages seem awesome so far and I got to play through classic mode once (on normal :p). I really am not feeling the whole Wiimote+nunchuck setup with this game. I find myself just smashing buttons sometimes which I never had to do with the GC controller. Hopefully I can borrow that controller ASAP from my friend otherwise I'm screwed. :(

The game is definitely not melee. But that doesn't mean it isn't good, I feel like it is an evolution, something a little different and new. I like the way it feels, I feel more in control and I think certain characters feel a little more balanced. Not that I don't have gripes, I do wish the loading could have been streamlined a bit, and I tend to think that smash hits feel weaker than strong hits... which is interesting.

To the next 4 or so years of smash! I think this is a great addition to the series.

^I'm not finding it slower paced when I have the AI level on 9.

Honestly, I never liked levels 8 and 9 of the AI. They are so much easier to kill than level 7 because all they do is shield 24/7, which doesn't make them harder since they don't attack me enough.

Question!

How do I download those daily stage updates they were talking about?

Do I need to have Wii connect 24 turned on and if so what do I afterward?

Thanks!

You DO need to have WiiConnect24 enabled, apparently. After that... I think all you have to do is connect to WiFi mode in Brawl, and it automatically downloads the daily stage. Yesterday when I connected, it said 'Data has been downloaded' or something, and I noticed a new stage when I went into the stage builder.

Definetly enjoying the game a lot more with the GC controller.

I had heard good things about Subspace mode but never really knew much about it other than that. After playing it, I can without a doubt, say this is what Super Smash needed! Classic mode is great (glad that still included it), but Subspace mode really gives the game great campaign or more replay value. :D

You DO need to have WiiConnect24 enabled, apparently. After that... I think all you have to do is connect to WiFi mode in Brawl, and it automatically downloads the daily stage. Yesterday when I connected, it said 'Data has been downloaded' or something, and I noticed a new stage when I went into the stage builder.

There's one more thing you have to do... connect to the WFC, and then go to Options. In there, you should have an option to enable the 'Smash Service'. Once that's turned on, you'll get daily messages in your message board telling you to connect to the WFC to get your daily download.

I still perfer smash bros 64 out of all of them, its still the most accurate measure of skill out of the series.

Brawl is very fun (been playing for about a month now); but

there is alot of randomness, even those that just button mash can win out of pure luck. Also alot of the maps are too busy.