Super Smash Bros Brawl - Discussion

Just finished an awesome Pi day party full of brawl, and I have to say the rotation mode is quite brilliant, it really makes it easy to switch between people and help keep track of everyone. A lot of customization, and everyone who's going just presses a button on the controller they're going to use.

I currently have three other friends over and the brawl action is just crazy! We are also in the process of unlocking some of the easier characters as well (Ex. Falco).

I played this game quite a bit the last few days and it's pretty great. I tried it with the Wiimote/Nunchuck to start, but then started using the classic controller, and the only gripe I have is the need to reach over the shoulder buttons to hit the Z button(s). I'm having a blast, though. I've taken a liking to Toon Link and Lucario. My bro and his friends have unlocked all the characters and nearly all the stages.

-Spenser

I've taken a liking to Toon Link and Lucario. My bro and his friends have unlocked all the characters and nearly all the stages.

-Spenser

I tried Lucario once we got him today and I really dislike him. What techniques do you find most effective when using him?

I played Brawl literally all last night and, I have to be honest, I'm pretty disappointed. I was a huge fan of Smash Brothers on the N64 and, while I never owned a GameCube, I did play a lot of Melee on friends' systems during college. Melee felt just like its predecessor, which I guess was okay since the leap in graphics was so huge. Brawl now feels exactly like Melee, graphics and all -- and this is coming from playing Melee on an older CRT and Brawl on a plasma.

My biggest complaint, however, has to be the lack of Wii-specific controls. While I am used to the GameCube controller and actually prefer it, it was really frustrating when my friends and I were furiously waving the Wii remotes at the screen and watching the hand cursors do nothing. It must have taken a solid 2 minutes to figure out we had to use the joystick. WHAT, NINTENDO?!?! I own a bunch of Wii games and ALL of them use the pointing ability in menu selections, even the ones that allow classic controls. This was a real turn off for me.

I really wanted last night to be better. I really wanted to come home and say "I've gotta pick up a copy for myself!" But why would I when I could pick up Melee for half the price? Sure, Brawl has online play -- I'm assuming, we couldn't connect -- and a level editor, but is that worth the price?

On the plus side, I loved playing as Sonic! Possibly my favorite character. Anyway, I guess I'm just nitpicking. Brawl absolutely isn't the Wii's killer app, but I may pick up a copy once the buggy online play is worked out.

Play melee on a plasma and you will see the graphical differences quite clearly. I think you need some more time with the game man, it plays very differently from melee if you know what they've changed. I think a lot of the issues that people have with brawl is brought on by the fact that they assume it is just a prettier melee. It's helpful to approach SSBB as a new game, seek to understand it as a standalone product and don't worry so much about how it compares to melee.

Play melee on a plasma and you will see the graphical differences quite clearly. I think you need some more time with the game man, it plays very differently from melee if you know what they've changed. I think a lot of the issues that people have with brawl is brought on by the fact that they assume it is just a prettier melee. It's helpful to approach SSBB as a new game, seek to understand it as a standalone product and don't worry so much about how it compares to melee.

This.

There've been so many changes most returning characters can't even be played with the same strategies. And to say the graphics haven't changed is a joke.

I think he means the Wii Classic Controller, it's an actual product that is for sale... looks like a NES controller.

That's correct. I knew it was an option to use but I haven't heard very many reviews (good or bad) on how it performs, other than when it was mentioned just a couple posts before.

Just about had a heart attack guys! I knew something was up the second I started to try to play SSB. It took about a minute to load the game initially. After that any loading in Subspace Emissary took about 30 seconds. I ended up playing it and got about 10% when I got a Wii error. I hadn't saved so you could imagine how ****ed I was.

Upon booting up the system, everything was fine because it still had my "previously saved data" which I promptly loaded and then saved my file.

^ Mine did something like that upon first loading it yesterday.

I personally prefer the Wiimote + Nunchuck, I tried the classic controller and found it worse :/ haven't tried a GC controller as I don't own one...

beat classic mode with 10 different characters on any difficulty for Sonic

The easiest way to unlock characters though is to play through The Subspace Emissary

Still playing it. Unlocked every character, completed all single-player events on Hard, working through beating Classic with every character.

I gotta say, among the hidden characters, I really like Wolf. He's a badass, although I do tend to stick to Pikachu and Peach as my usual brawlers.

We had an SSB night at work last night after we closed. I completely kicked ass with Sonic, and was undefeated for most of the night until later on when I was getting tired :p

Anyone ever suffer from the "Green Screen" where it can't read game disc? Annoying.

If you read just a couple of posts up from yours, I received that just the other day.

It really is unfair for people in Europe this game is not out for a while. The problem is that most gaming sites and podcasts are just going on about how great this game is !

I think I might need to import it, what does everyone on Neowin think about it ? Worth the price of import or wait until June ?