Super Smash Bros Brawl - Discussion

This shouldn't matter, as I can go online and surf the web, get weather./news, etc

Well but all that stuff uses the same port (port 80)... the same port your router is probably already configured to allow.

I tried playing as Sonic and found him boring. Most of his moves are relatively the same, and he just gets flung off the map in no time!

(I know this is a late reply.) I must disagree. He's fast and can dodge like no other, and while he's not a power hitter, he can hit fast and still do a lot a of damage in a very quick succession of hits. I can hold my own against all the best players I know with Sonic, and I don't have a problem with getting flung off the map quickly. I think it's just down to your playing style. He fits my playing style perfectly.

Well but all that stuff uses the same port (port 80)... the same port your router is probably already configured to allow.

do different games use different ports?

do different games use different ports?

That I don't know... but my best guess would be that there are some common "gaming" ports... ports that a lot of console games default to using for internet gameplay. But I would also bet that not all games use the same port(s). All I was saying though (in response to your earlier post) was that all of the internet traffic (Opera, and possibly the weather, news, shop, channels) uses port 80.

Interesting question though, anyone with more knowledge on gaming ports know something different?

Anyone have any other tips to see/play people online in SSBB? Right now, only can join friends or spectator. General Braw mode just sitting at seeking.

I usually only play Brawl online with my friends, and when we first got the game the online matches were really laggy, like slideshow laggy. He said his sister recorded it one time and the action stopped for 8 entire seconds at one point. There's some things that we did that has helped alot.

First off, we both assigned a static IP address to the Wii, and then we set DMZ host on the router to the IP of the Wii. This seemed to help the most.

Next we both made sure our Wii's were entirely up to date. For some reason I didn't have the latest firmware update.

Next, we made sure the Wii was getting 3 bars from the wireless router. I had 2 before, but after moving the router (right next to the Wii), lag has been alot less.

If you're talking about online play with random people, then thats always been laggy to me. Generally our matches are pretty lag free now, and we live states away, although you can tell when someone is browsing the internet in his house because it will be laggy for a few seconds and then not.

I don't know if stages really matter, I would guess that stages with less going on in the background would be less laggy, but I have no proof to back that up so it's just a guess.

I hope this helps. :)