Windows Rot

HappyAndyK

Windows Rot was one thing users upto XP version faced; dont think its affecting Vista users really - Vista has virtualized parts of the registry as a security fix. One of my old articles Arresting Windows Rot ...

Edited by HappyAndyK

+allan

Actually, unless I'm mistaken Vista has virtualized only a small part of the registry (Keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software ) - and even there the virtualization is limited.

HappyAndyK

^ True actually. Deleting that word from my post. Thanx ! :blush:

In Vista, the UAC utilizes the Registry Virtualization Feature, to redirect attempts to write to subkeys of

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software . When an application attempts to write to this hive, Vista instead, writes it, to a per-user location, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VirtualStore\Machine\Software

+allan

BTW, one edit to my earlier post about system maintenance. I meant to include hardware cleaning. Once every 6 months it makes sense to pull the cover and blow the dust out of your system with compressed air (please pull the power cord first just to be safe). Aside from shortening the life of the components, excess dust can actually cause the system to slow down.

Rackerz
BTW, one edit to my earlier post about system maintenance. I meant to include hardware cleaning. Once every 6 months it makes sense to pull the cover and blow the dust out of your system with compressed air (please pull the power cord first just to be safe). Aside from shortening the life of the components, excess dust can actually cause the system to slow down.

I'll second that recommendation.

Brandon Live
Actually, unless I'm mistaken Vista has virtualized only a small part of the registry (Keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software ) - and even there the virtualization is limited.

True, but then that is the only section it makes any sense to virtualize :)

+allan
True, but then that is the only section it makes any sense to virtualize :)

My post made more sense before HappyAndy edited his post - the one I was responding to. He originally said that Vista virtualized a large portion of the registry - I was addressing that comment.

NeoFyle

Trice here on that one... Don't know how many PC's I have repaired in the hundreds or more and you'd be surprised what you find inside. Dust Bunny's, broken fan blades, shattered CD fragments, straws, crumbs from unidentifyable food. Spilled liquids, tar resin from people who smoke cigarettes like a chimney and the dust just coats everything with a gooey sticky mess on the fans, Power supply, and CD drives that refuse to read because the lenses are dirty. Seen it all.