• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

XP SP3?

Mazhar    55

Is it released? I mean RC1 or beta for public? where i can download it?

farmeunit    675

There is a direct link in the comments. I have not tried this method or the link. I'm waiting for final, so I can't be held responsible if you try it. http://www.ghacks.net/2007/11/23/download-...service-pack-3/

Sorry if I'm not allowed to post it.

TheNay    1

Rumour has it that this and SP1 for Vista is out in a week or two, that's what I heard weeks ago on many sites, but it's only a RUMOUR :) Keep in mind it was announced by MS that SP1 would be out in Q1 2008, and XP SP3 right around the same time so they got less than 3 weeks.

DJ_Alex    0

Win XP SP3 and Vista SP1 maybe will be out after the 24th March

gusto5    0

Current publicly accessible RC is RC1 (Build 3311) for windows XP SP3

wd40    16

I just downloaded and installed build 5503 of SP3 for XP.

xpsp3qf2.th.jpg

The image on the left is SP3 running on a virtual PC image. The one ont he right is build 3300. Notice there is no more build # listed? Maybe this is RTM version.

Skyfrog    734

5503? Sounds like you installed fake then, wonder how many trojans you have now. Seriously, RC2 is build 3311. Just simple common sense should tell you that there's something wrong here.

static_geek    23

Stand-alone information:

English:

WINDOWS XP SP3 Eng v.5503

5.1 (2600 build 2600.xpsp.080306-1604: Service Pack 3)

WINDOWSXP-KB936929-SP3-X86-ENU.EXE

MD5 0f88c125ee4ab608e2744ef3d18a686e

see here

and here

Skyfrog    734

That doesn't exactly prove anything though, that stuff can be altered. Again, why the jump from 3311 to 5503 and why are the only results about this build from torrents?

Wakers    336

Stand-alone information:

English:

WINDOWS XP SP3 Eng v.5503

5.1 (2600 build 2600.xpsp.080306-1604: Service Pack 3)

WINDOWSXP-KB936929-SP3-X86-ENU.EXE

MD5 0f88c125ee4ab608e2744ef3d18a686e

see here

and here

Still sounds fake, i checked on the ms website and the latest you can download is build 3311, so where you get 5x from is beyond me? unless you're an alpha/beta tester for MS?

RandomX    0

if the above pics are showing the rtm of xp sp3 why isn't it carrying ie7... the second image shows ie6....

fake...

Swift33    0

It definitely is not fake. It's got an MS digital signature on it. And it's also not final, bottom of the EULA still says "Preview".

And, nuhi even added support for it in nlite, http://nliteos.com/

if the above pics are showing the rtm of xp sp3 why isn't it carrying ie7... the second image shows ie6....

fake...

SP3 will not have IE7 included, everyone knows that.

It's a leaked build that only showed up on torrents, nothing much more to say about it:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1269

scaramonga    202

Thank god! That is good news :)

alpha_omega    1

Correct. It will update an already existing IE7 version though.

Skyfrog    734

The first has an MVP post saying "Anyhow, build 5503 or the like hasn't been released by MS, at least not yet." and the second is a blog that just says the source is unknown and it may or may not be fake. Not terribly reassuring.

Swift33    0
Correct. It will update an already existing IE7 version though.

Yeah, it will do that as it contains fixes for both IE6 and IE7. However, if you slipstream SP3 to let's say an SP2 or earlier XP cd, it'll update the XP cd but SP3 only includes the full IE6 so a user will not get IE7 when they go to install the slipped XP SP3. They can always Windows Update or manually install IE7 later on of course.

The first has an MVP post saying "Anyhow, build 5503 or the like hasn't been released by MS, at least not yet." and the second is a blog that just says the source is unknown and it may or may not be fake. Not terribly reassuring.

Regardless of what an MVP says (the beta program for XP is over on Connect), the build does have a MS digital sig. on it and nuhi tested it himself if you check the nLite forums and added support for it in nLite.

RandomX    0
It definitely is not fake. It's got an MS digital signature on it. And it's also not final, bottom of the EULA still says "Preview".

And, nuhi even added support for it in nlite, http://nliteos.com/

It's a leaked build that only showed up on torrents, nothing much more to say about it:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1269

gee sorry... i won't bother contributing in future...

Rudy    457
5503? Sounds like you installed fake then, wonder how many trojans you have now. Seriously, RC2 is build 3311. Just simple common sense should tell you that there's something wrong here.

Wow buddy....common sense should tell him that you make no sense. The build is real and doesn't contain "trojans", it's not because the build wasn't downloaded directly from MS that it's been altered. You should keep quiet if you have nothing better to say

Skyfrog    734
You should keep quiet if you have nothing better to say

Maybe you should follow your own advice.

shockz    6,108
Maybe you should follow your own advice.

I believe he corrected you... so he had plenty of "good" things to say.

Anyways... for the entire thread... lets all just calm down... no reason to be rude.

Skyfrog    734
I believe he corrected you... so he had plenty of "good" things to say.

Yeah but it's possible to correct someone without being a jerk about it. Swift33 already told me about the digital signature, and was polite about it. Yeah I may be wrong, but there was still no call for Rudy's rude little tirade.

Anyway I still think it's a bit risky to just download and install things like this, especially when there are so many fishy details like no one seeming to know where it came from or the huge jump in build numbers. The digital signature does seem to indicate it's something legit, but personally I believe I'll wait for an official word on it.

Swift33    0

I personally also found it hard to believe that 5503 is legit when I first saw mention of it. But the MS dig. sig. is there and with nuhi adding support for it in nLite as well since it apparently contains some changes from 3311, it seems to check out.

Bizarre though.

It's not the final RTM build however. The EULA makes mention of Pre-Release and Preview.

Volatile    13

only difference I have noticed thus far is RDP look and feel... and this could be just because I have not performed the RDP update to see the change. Other than that... nothin..