XP SP3?

Microsoft?s updated statement (end of day on March 18):

?The XP SP3 5503 build was a minor interim build released to address one specific issue for a subset of private beta testers. This build was not intended for public release and anyone who has that build and is not part of the private beta is working with bits that Microsoft can?t verify the integrity?. The final version of XP SP3 is still on target to be released the first half of calendar year 2008.?

Source

So there people! It is REAL! I just love people that jump to conclusions so fast.

I hope final release is near since SP1 for Vista is out.

Anyway I'm a little confused after your discussion: can I install SP3 on a clean XP (without any previous service packs)? :huh:

Anyway I'm a little confused after your discussion: can I install SP3 on a clean XP (without any previous service packs)? :huh:

Yup of course, it will save ALOT of time when setting up new XP installations. The sooner this is out, the better. I tire of having 100+ updates whenever I create a new SP2 image or reinstall a machine.

Yes

Microsoft?s updated statement (end of day on March 18):

Source

So there people! It is REAL! I just love people that jump to conclusions so fast.

lovei> how you left off the end of the quote, let me help you with that:the private beta is working with bits that Microsoft can't verify the integritit's possible the bits may have been modified with malware or other bad code that Microsoft hasn't tested.b> i>

Which is what people have been saying. This inoti> the final, and it's potentially harmful. Enough said.

I didn't leave off the end of the quote. It's copied and pasted exactly as stated on the source page. If it had been modified it would have broken the digital signature from MS. Yes this is not the final build of SP3 but getting closer to RTM.

I'm loving some of the bug fixes in the current RC: tooltip behind taskbar fixed *finally*, not including every jpg in My Pictures in Desktop backgrounds when Web content on desktop is enabled, and others. It's about time.

I didn't leave off the end of the quote. It's copied and pasted exactly as stated on the source page. If it had been modified it would have broken the digital signature from MS. Yes this is not the final build of SP3 but getting closer to RTM.

Apologies then, that source left part of the quote off. Here is the full text:

"This build was not intended for public release and anyone who has that build and is not part of the private beta is working with bits that Microsoft can't verify the integrity-it's possible the bits may have been modified with malware or other bad code that Microsoft hasn't tested. That's why we advise customers to check the Microsoft's download centers for product updates, to ensure they're getting valid code for their systems. The final version of XP SP3 is still on target to be released the first half of calendar year 2008

http://windowsup.blogspot.com/

As for the digital signature I took it to mean that it was given the signature even though it wasn't fully tested so it could in fact be infected with something, break things, etc. Since this was for a very small number of testers to try and fix a specific problem and wasn't meant to ever be released it would be extremely unwise to install it.

after installing sp3, does it install some kind of validation thing like in vista?

No. Vista SP1 kills 2 activation hacks/workarounds that are specifically designed for Vista. XP SP3 doesn't have anything of the sort.

Guys,

Are you sure that final version of Windows XP SP3 has not been released...

This microsoft link contains a download location without ever mentioning beta/RC:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Can anyone confirm?

Thats just documents this is the download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

And mentions XP SP3 RC2

Sorry to thread hijack, but I've got a question concerning SP3. I've got one of the early beta versions installed, and I can't uninstall it. It doesn't show up in Add/Remove Programs, and it won't let me upgrade to RC2, so my question is this: Is there a way to manually uninstall a service pack and downgrade to SP2? I've asked this question of the Microsoft forums, but no one has replied yet.

Help!

SO it's March 24th -- what time is the final SP3 being released ? :woot:

Noon Time pacific or anytime is my guess.

Well the day is slipping away and no SP3, though I'm not really surprised. Did Microsoft actually say it was coming out today or was that just another rumor? A friend of a friend of an inside source told my friend kind of deal. I hope it comes out this week though, I'd like to slipstream a new install CD and reformat my system.

^ Apparently XP sp3 final is vaporware. :laugh:

All the torrent download got me is a pirate copy of Windows XP, which includes sp3 version 5503.

Not what I was looking for -- I'll keep my genuine Microsoft key.

If it's not gonna Final today I'm gonna sue Neowin. :pinch:

Information about Sp3 releasing today was an incorrect rumor, picked up on several websites. Please look to posts from Microsoft employees on this forum, or information directly from Microsoft, for the most updated and accurate release dates.

Windows XP Sp3 will release first half of 2008.

Thanks for your interest in Windows XP Sp3, and your continuing feedback here.

Chris Keroack [MSFT]

Release Manager, Windows Serviceability

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...3051765#3051765

Edited by M118LR