• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows Vista SP1 Hits Windows Auto Update

Choto Cheeta    7

vistasp1io1.jpg

Windows Vista SP1 has made it to RTM in February, however the general users are in wait to find SP1 to come to Windows update. As reports published in Tech ARP suggests that Windows Vista SP1 is all set to make its appearance in Windows update at mid April.

11af8.jpg

Users are need to install some prerequisite for Windows Vista SP1, KB937287, KB935509, and KB938371 addresses the issue, which are necessary to install before applying Windows Vista SP1.

Windows Service Pack Blocker

For many users in corporate sector some time Service pack may create problem with some custom made software and product incompatibility or some time downloading for a large volume of systems would create bandwidth issue just for such reason if any user doesn’t want Service Pack 1, for those Microsoft has release a Service pack blocker tool for Windows Vista SP1 to prevent Windows Vista service pack1 to get install via Windows update.

This tool is valid for 12 month after the release of Service pack one.

Prepare your self for Service Pack 1

Few prerequisites for Windows Vista SP1 from a end user point a view are,

1. You must un-install any Beta version of Service Pac, if you have them installed.

2. You may need to install as many as three prerequisite updates: KB937287, KB935509, and KB938371

3. Ensure that you are connected to the Internet and PC/Notebook is running AC Power source

4. Click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Windows Update, and then click Check for Updates.

5. If you have not installed the updates in step one then you would be asked to install KB937287, KB935509, and KB938371 which will require you to reboot.

6. Click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Windows Update, and then click Check for Updates.

7. Select the SP1 update (KB936330). If there are other updates displayed, make sure that SP1 is the only update selected, and then click Install.

8. After Setup downloads the update, accept the EULA and then click Install.

9. Setup will begin the installation. When prompted, click Restart now. During this second installation phase, Setup will prevent you from logging on while the service pack is being installed. The installer will automatically restart the computer several times during this process.

The download Size via Windows update

Windows Vista SP1 x86 >> 65 MB

Windows Vista SP1 x64 >> 125 MB

You need 1170 MB disk space for x86 where as 1505 MB for x64 edition.

Update 18-03-2008

Its now on AutoUpdate :D also download the standalone installer

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330)

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone for x64-based Systems (KB936330)

How to determine whether your computer is running a 32-bit version or a 64-bit version of the Windows operating system

If you cant find Vista SP1 in Windows Update please read this,

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is not available for installation from Windows Update and is not offered by Automatic Updates << Thanks to Vquattro

Edited by Choto Cheeta

AimLXJ    18

Sourcing from a blog is a no no, is that right?(pointing it out to some neowin users)

Choto Cheeta    7
Sourcing from a blog is a no no, is that right?(pointing it out to some neowin users)

So even if the original person who worked for an article or rather an unique one, still would not be allowed to share the source, anyway cant arguee with the rules, removing the blog link !!

NateB1    75
So even if the original person who worked for an article or rather an unique one, still would not be allowed to share the source, anyway cant arguee with the rules, removing the blog link !!

According to my interpretation of the rules, linking to a blog is OK as long as the author was the original source of the content. If he is merely linking to another article, then yes, it would be wrong.

idk_    329

So it's on Windows Update 2 days early? I find it unlikely for it to be pushed out over the weekend so is this just a repeat of the information from Feb? I don't see any info on major sites about it being released now. (Engadget, Gizmodo, Digg, Slash, Mydigitallife)

AimLXJ    18

I think your allowed to source in this section but I got the No Source Blogging thing from here: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=589644

Anyway, dam March 18 for Manual? I thought The March 18 was for the Windows Update :\

**EDIT**

Well, a great way to slip it through a flashdrive and update every computer with it instead of going through 1GB on each computer O_o

Choto Cheeta    7

I wont argue with the rule, I have removed the blog link from the 1st post, how ever, all credits are given to the source of the news, which is Tech ARP, but rest all, my self dugg out from the the docs sent to us by MS :(

BoDEAN    68

Build 6001 still?

waruikoohii    1
Build 6001 still?

It has always been 6001, even from the earliest builds.

6001 is the Windows build.

The service pack build is 18000 (plus or minus a zero).

BoDEAN    68

So they haven't been fixing or patching any of these device driver issues that I guess plauged some of the SP1's that were released early?

What have they been doing for 2 months ? lol

Crazysah    7

Can't wait for it today!

Viriix    0

im quite sure it wont be out today.. it always happens

DaViD_BRaNDoN    0

Anyone got SP1 through manual Windows Update yet?

+allan    12

It's a service pack - what's the big deal? I really don't understand what the difference is if we get it today, tomorrow, next week or next month. We'll get it when we get it.

Sorry - just needed to get that off my chest :)

The Scarecrow    3

Obviously you do not use Vista then. There a few annoyances that are fixed in SP1 that Vista uses have been waiting for for sometime now, at least I have. The sooner the better.

It's a service pack - what's the big deal? I really don't understand what the difference is if we get it today, tomorrow, next week or next month. We'll get it when we get it.

Sorry - just needed to get that off my chest :)

eilegz    115

sigh still waiting somehow i got a full sp1 vista ultimate from a microsoft event, but kinda lazy to format and make clean install with it.

Chan Smith    2

Sp1 isn't on windows update yet. I just checked and nothing.

+allan    12
Obviously you do not use Vista then. There a few annoyances that are fixed in SP1 that Vista uses have been waiting for for sometime now, at least I have. The sooner the better.

Actually I do have Vista on a couple of systems, but it is what it is. A few days one way or the other isn't going to make any difference at all. I just get a kick out of these "how can I get it right this second?" threads.

Xenomorph    38

People are excited about SP1 and want it now because ....

Think of it as the only car mechanic in town, and it's been out of stock on everything.

You're driving a car that runs horribly and needs a few new parts to make it work right.

So you're driving this car, and its shaking and getting poor gas mileage.

The shop then calls you and says its supply truck is coming in TODAY.

You get excited, because you want those parts NOW.

When the parts do come in, they will fix up the car, make it perform better than it did when it was new, and add some new features that weren't ever on the car.

THAT is why people want Vista SP1.

Yeah, they could wait a bit longer for it - but why would they want to when it fixes things so much?

Andrew Lyle    341

Everyone should know by now.. We do not wait for things anymore. When we are teased by trailers, articles, press conferences, we want it NOW NOW NOW NOW.

Vista SP1 is no different :p

freeza    11

I've had sp1 instaled since february, but it'd be nice for you guys to link the x64 version as some people DO use vista x64

robertwnielsen    68
Its now available on autoupdate as well as the standalone version :D http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

That's a 435 MB 5-language standalone install. The English-only SP1 isn't showing when I run a manual Windows Update, and I don't see it on the download center.

Bob

Jaybonaut    225

It's not on Windows Update for me yet and it is 12:01 pm on 3/18.