• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows Vista SP1 Hits Windows Auto Update

-Vivicidal-    4

Downloading now - it only just appeared in Windows Update.

HackingIntoU    0

Downloading as well using logmein from work :cool: ... it was stuck at 13% for a while and it seems to be downloading irregularly for obvious reasons.

Andrew Lyle    341

A neowin Dev should modify the top of the Vista forum, to include todays date as Vista SP1 release date

solardog    0

I got it now. I think why I wasn't getting it before was because I did have the "beta" version installed. I did un-install it, but I was still getting no prompt for the real SP1. I scrubbed my registry real good, rebooted and instantly was prompted to update.

reech    0

Mine's just tried to install, but failed with a 'code 5' - oddly enough, that happened when I reinstalled Vista some time back, so just letting it try again now...

UncleSpellbinder    17

Downloading now, VERY slow. ANd I'm on high speed cable (8 mbps). I suppose anyone and everyone who's been offered the SP1 update is downloading.

WastedJoker    20

That took friggin' ages. After the reboot it tried to install 3 of 3 and got to 100% then just froze!

I gave it 30 minutes and then forced a reboot. Seems fine, though.

UncleSpellbinder    17

Preparing to install....creating a restore point. Closing Firefox to let it do it's thing. Back in a bit. Hopefully....... ;)

-Hiroshi-    0

Just found it on Windows Update... :)

post-118616-1205870180_thumb.jpg

reech    0

Gone fine for me on the second attempt; think it was due to COMODO Firewall not giving permission to shift to install mode the first time around.

Took about an hour, all told (download and install all done.)

No troubles spotted so far...

Wordsworth47    0

Downloaded and installed SP1 quickly. I'm surprised at the speed of installation, it was much quicker than beta versions. It took about 25 min. for installation.

I immediately noticed that Vista itself runs smoother and quicker, though I did have to reactivate via phone (real person not automatic). I'm liking SP1.

nippyjun    0

Should antivirus/firewall be turned off before installing SP1?

+John Teacake    454

Installed here, Took between half an hour and 40mins. Fast download speed for my connection. haven't noticed much difference so far really.

+chorpeac    30

still waiting....bunch of hogs... :)

solardog    0

I'm surprised at how long its taking for some. It took about 20 minutes here.

PaulCabby    2

took an hour for me :s

err i cant hear my hard drive as much anymore :s or thats just a psychological thing

Mikee99    0

Now that SP1 standalone is officially released, when will there be a guide to slipstream it into the DVD?

From what I have read at various places, it is extremely difficult to do. There just has to be a straightforward way to slipstream SP1 into the installation DVD!

UncleSpellbinder    17

From the initial offer of the update - to downloading - to fully installed and rebooted - 1 1/2 hours. Charter Cable High Speed Internet, 8mbps. All seems well, no hangs on installation.

LewisBraid    0

im surprised how quick it installed, took about 35mins and SP1 now shows i have 4GB of RAM instead of 3.2GB. :)

nekrosoft13    747
im surprised how quick it installed, took about 35mins and SP1 now shows i have 4GB of RAM instead of 3.2GB. :)

keep in mind what you said, it just shows, but just like before, it still won't use all 4gb, windows will only use 3.2gb

look it up, there is an microsoft KB article about this, they changed what is beinig displayed, but how it works didn't change.

ralph_tran    1

ohnoes...

I just downloaded the standalone SP1 installer, and it failed to install.

After some research, I found out update KB935509 is a prerequisite for installing SP1. I've looked everywhere in my update history and can't seem to find this update, so I'm guessing it must've never installed... so I went to the MS download site and found the 935509 update and installed it, but I get this error: "this update does not apply to your system."

Apparently I can't install SP1 without this update, and I can't install the update. Can anyone help?

Tel    0

^similar issue, i downloaded the standlone installer and then got a message stating Service pack wasn't installed, reverting changes. All in all that took about an hour and half and then i did windows updates which picked up the 66MB file and installed it without any issue.

seethru    28

So I got it on my laptop (x86) but its not showing up on my desktop (x64). I've updated my Realtek driver, but upon further reading I saw this.

Additional Windows Vista SP1 driver information

Additionally, Windows Update will not offer Windows Vista SP1 to computers together with the Logitech QuickCam that uses the Lvuvc.sys device drivers (all versions). Microsoft has detected a flaw in the Windows Vista Ks.sys file that can cause a critical stop during Windows Vista SP1 installation if this device driver file is installed. An update to Ks.sys is being created that resolves this issue.

When Microsoft has resolved this issue, an update to Ks.sys will be offered to these users. After this update is installed, they will then be offered Windows Vista SP1 by re-checking for updates.

I happen to have a QuickCam. If I unplug it, will it still cause a critical stop or will I be ok?

Doli    548
So I got it on my laptop (x86) but its not showing up on my desktop (x64). I've updated my Realtek driver, but upon further reading I saw this.

I happen to have a QuickCam. If I unplug it, will it still cause a critical stop or will I be ok?

The "Lvuvc.sys" driver will still be on your system.

seethru    28
The "Lvuvc.sys" driver will still be on your system.

no way to stop it from loading or uninstall it?