[Photography] Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM

Nope not in the method I used, I have another 2.8 lens too and use this method all the time without any such issues.

The recompose was a simple pan right slightly to get the whole laptop in, the pan right does not affect the focal point distance at all and the AF point remained locked onto the Dell badge (partial depress to lock AF)

A pan will always affect the focal distance.

Not in this one it wont (same distance, same AF lock in both shots) and never before has it posed a problem.

The problem outlined above "is" a problem with the lens back/forward focusing.

I should have clarified then. I prefer the image quality of a Digital Rebel over any 35mm body. 35mm and MF have been entirely surpassed by digital bodies. I'd choose a 1Ds Mark III, or especially a Phase One P45 or similar, over any MF film body.

MMMMM Mamiya 645AFD + Leaf digital back, or Hasleblad H1 woooo! I wantz! when i win the lottery I'mma buy me one.

I should have clarified then. I prefer the image quality of a Digital Rebel over any 35mm body. 35mm and MF have been entirely surpassed by digital bodies. I'd choose a 1Ds Mark III, or especially a Phase One P45 or similar, over any MF film body.

Sure of that? Because Im yet to see any digital product that truly rivalizes with a proper 35mm Leica example or Hasselblad and Mamiya MF example.

Ok I cannot let this go out of my mind hehe.

I just phoned up the shop I got it and they are sending me a new one and collecting this one tomorrow morning (swap basically) and the reason is the below.

Check this out, the lens is defo encountering a focusing problem half the time, 2 identical shots with same shoot settings (flash, iso200, 1/200s, centre AF point) and same AF point selected for both (the silver DELL badge). I also allowed the IS to level out before taking the shot so completely steady.

Notice where the focus ended up for both shots, the first shows the Dell badge nicely in focus whilst the 2nd shows the edge of the laptop lid in focus so it's back/forward-focusing half the time?

Correct AF point focus:

focusissue1uk2.th.jpg

AF point not in focus:

focusissue2xr8.th.jpg

If you still have those original images open them in Zoombrowser and select Show Autofocus points then post the screenshots here.

You should be able to see if there was a problem with the focusing from this.

Maybe my eyesight isn't like yours but I put both enlarged photos on my screen and really couldn't see a difference.

If you still have those original images open them in Zoombrowser and select Show Autofocus points then post the screenshots here.

You should be able to see if there was a problem with the focusing from this.

I don't have zoombrowser as I don't use the bundled software :/

Problem now resolved anyway with new lens replacement.

I normally don't use bundle software either however this one has proved very useful for diagnosing back focusing problems on a couple of my lens, including the 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM. Even though problem is solved for you I would still recommend you install Zoombrowser.

post-2058-1206832546_thumb.jpg

I wish someone would make a plugin for Photoshop or Lightroom to display this data. :pinch:

Does zoombrowser take over any image file formats mate? that looks very useful!

Nope, all my JPG's are still with Windows Viewer and, CR2 with Photoshop.

Its main purpose is to upload selected images to the Canon iMAGE Gateway. If Photoshop had the ability to show focus points I would ditch this.