Battlefield: Bad Company

Are you a 8Mbps Comcast Subscriber? If so, read on!

Free Fileplanet Insider account: Just head over http://preview.comcast.net/games/invasion/...cookieattempt=1 and click on "Activate your Founders' Club account now!"

then head over http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/bfbc/na/ and get your key!

and if anyone is nice enough to get me a key I'll give you a hug :laugh:

but I absolutely hate it when companies do the whole "our new blah blah blah engine" when it's just another rehash of an older engine (ala Call of Duty 2 and 3 and 4).

CoD4 seems like a new engine? At least, they have done a lot of modification to it if it isn't.

BF Bad Company: Pay for Unlocks?

Friday, 21 March, 2008 at 15:43 PST

Many people have been reporting that certain weapons in the Battlefield: Bad Company beta have the option of buying them on the Xbox Live Marketplace. According to Wired, 10 unlocks are marked as "Buy this weapon on Xbox Live Marketplace."

When glancing through the multiplayer beta for Electronic Arts' upcoming Xbox 360 shooter Battlefield: Bad Company last night I noticed something odd in the title's "Unlocks" section: Ten of the unlockable weapons are tagged with notes saying "Buy this weapon on Xbox Live Marketplace."

According to the statistics graph, the for-cash weaponry doesn't seem to be more any powerful than the other high-end guns. But the beta won't be playable until later this month, so we can't be sure. Read the Rest...

badcompanyhead_sm.jpg

SOURCE

This payed DLC is getting out of hand :angry:

Soon they will be charging for hollow point ammo and whatnot :no:

Free Fileplanet Insider account: Just head over http://preview.comcast.net/games/invasion/...cookieattempt=1 and click on "Activate your Founders' Club account now!"

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS THANKS!!

This worked like a charm!

I laugh everytime I hear a DICE interview or whatever where they tout the "new" Frostbite engine crap. It's the SAME engine, just gouged out again like they did with BFV and 2142 etc. Sure they added neat explosions (very neat) and destructable stuff (which is nice, don't get me wrong)...but I absolutely hate it when companies do the whole "our new blah blah blah engine" when it's just another rehash of an older engine (ala Call of Duty 2 and 3 and 4).

Bah. Either way, I was looking forward to this for 360, but since my 360 is currently RROD'ed, oh well. Guess I'll have to wait until it releases to play, or just wait for Battlefield 3 (on the NEW FROSTBITE DX FOR PC!!!!111) to come out later this year for PC. :D

Actually, it's a new engine built from the ground up with some assets from the older engine. Game developers use old assets all the time. It saves time and money too. Anyway, 90% of the rendered environment is destructible in Battlefield: Bad Company. Unreal Engine 3 didn't have destructible environments until well after the release of Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 3. I can't wait for Battlefield 3 with an even better Frostbite DX engine.

COD4 used the Unreal Engine AFAIK

No, it uses a proprietary engine made by Infinity Ward.

COD4 used the Unreal Engine AFAIK
No, it uses a proprietary engine made by Infinity Ward.

IW has mentioned it a couple of times, COD4 is using a modified COD2 engine. Sorry to go off topic.

using a modified COD2 engine.

And CoD2 was using the very modified and heavily borrowed from Q3 engine I think. So it's come a very long way to still be used up until this point. Though, imo, it's showing it's age.

Yeah the Quake III engine is showing its age, but for an engine that can be gutted and made to look as good as Call of Duty 4, that just shows how good of an engine it is/was :)

As for Bad Company, its the same thing with Frostbite. It's just the BF2/2142 engine gutted once again as I said before. Which isn't a bad thing mind you, but this is why they can churn out new BF games like nothing. :)

That's how development is these days. You'd be awfully surprised just how old some engines are out there. Technically, the source engine is a (heavily) modified Quake 2 engine (It actually has some of the Q2 source code still in it).

Technically, sure, but not really. When Valve was developing Source, they looked at their old engine, a modified Quake II engine (Goldsrc or something like that) for reference on how to code some things, but no one's ever really been able to show where there's any Quake II code in Source.

Well yeah. There's only so many ways to build an engine. As technology improves and advances, you invariably add and modify more and more, but a lot of it stays the same and there's no need to code it twice, it's just a waste of time. Eventually, though, the constant modification and editing of the source will get complicated and messy (especially if it's not extremely well documented and maintained) and a good ol' recode from scratch is worth the effort. Plus, when you modify and add to an engine, you make it more and more specific to your needs, eventually you hit a point where the engine is so specifically tailored, it's not very useful for anything else.

Here's another example - the C&C3 engine. That engine dates back to (At least) 2001. That's 7 years, yet today it's still one of the most advanced RTS engines you can have. Originally, though, it wasn't an RTS engine at all, it was simply a 3D engine that had an RTS game tacked onto it. Later it was used for an MMORPG and an FPS, before finding it's way back to RTS games, where it has stayed since. Now it's even had a name change (it was formally the W3D engine, now it's SAGE - Strategy Action Game Engine) and most of it's features revolve specifically around Strategy games.

EA couldn't use this engine to make an FPS again without a LOT of tweaking, hence why they went out and bought DICE and Crytek.

Thanks so much!

Unfortunately, the keys are depleted for both subscribers and public.

When they come back I'll try signing up with another comcast email so I can to give you a key too.

In the mean time, is there anything else special I can get being a subscriber now?

Thanks again :)

SOURCE

This payed DLC is getting out of hand :angry:

Soon they will be charging for hollow point ammo and whatnot :no:

wow, that is bad.. I hope this is just for the demo or some kind of error. Because that would make me think twice about buying the game.

wow, that is bad.. I hope this is just for the demo or some kind of error. Because that would make me think twice about buying the game.

Think about it for a second, why would they have paid for DLC in a beta? This is going to be in the full retail version. I for one will play the beta, but they can go **** themselves if I am going to buy the full game with this kind of crap in it.

EA = Edacious A***holes

Give the game away for free and fill it with microtransactions, or sell it at retail value and make the content free. It's one way or the other, not both, EA. Get it right.

Are we sure that's not just the type of unlock by paying or playing that EA has done before? IIRC they used to have it so that you could pay to unlock some things in at least one other game that you would normally unlock by playing. The pay to unlock was for people who were impatient or didn't want to play the full campaign to get them... Something like that.

Are we sure that's not just the type of unlock by paying or playing that EA has done before? IIRC they used to have it so that you could pay to unlock some things in at least one other game that you would normally unlock by playing. The pay to unlock was for people who were impatient or didn't want to play the full campaign to get them... Something like that.

Nope its the real deal - you either have to buy the Gold Edition of the game or buy the weapons through marketplace/PSN

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/24/ea-expla...o-play-weapons/

NEW PBF GIVEAWAY - HURRY!!