Xbox360 Confusion

Hi

I'm signed off work for 2 weeks so decided to get a 360. But there is some confusion.

I know MS brought out a new model in the last few months, and I am also aware of last weeks price drop.

Argos are selling the Pro/Premium console at the ?199 price point. But also with 5 free games - all of which suit me fine.

But, it's the 360 Pro/Premium with Component AV cables, no HDMI.

Is this one of the "old" or "buggy" consoles.

In honesty component would suit me better as I don't have HDMI. But I would rather buy a new model console and trust it more, and then buy myself the cable I need.

Can anyone shed some light. I mean, why is Argos still selling old consoles - bit naughty?

Edited by njlouch

All consoles (except the Elite), HDMI or not only come with the standard component AV cable. Check the lot number and power requirement on the label. Something like lot 0734 or higher, and the power consumption of 175W would be indicative of a falcon chipped 360 (203W for the previous HDMI zepher).

All new consoles come with an HDMI socket (including arcade), but only the elite comes with a HDMI cable. if you are going to get it from an argos store, check the box for a little sign saying 'With HDMI' or a manufacture date after sept last year or ask to look while the delivery guy is still there. I'm certain though if youre buying one from argos it'll be a new'un, they usually don't sell old models (Y)

You say it comes with only av cables instead of hdmi. the only sku that comes with an hdmi CABLE is the Elite. I'm sure the Pro you're looking at is a newer model with hdmi capability, just not the cable, which is to be expected.

edit: oops, a little late

Edited by jeston

Doubt they'll open the box for you to inspect, but on the box it will list HDMI as a feature somewhere ("HDMI Port" or logo), if the particular console has it. The SKU label is your best bet in determining how new the console is.

Right, quick update:

1) The ASDA models were the 2nd Gen 360s

2) GameStation had a good deal but were out of stock of Pro models

3) Game again did me proud, good deal on a 3rd Gen 360. ?219 for the Pro and 1 free game (the new Rainbow Vegas thing).

Also, the local "geeky" computer/comic store were selling part of the old special offer. So for ?25 I got:

* Wireless gamepad

* Viva Pinata

* Forza 2

Am well happy. Am gonna get it set up, sign up for the free L!VE trial and let random strangers kick my as:):)

Thanks you guys for helping me out!

Well, all that was in vain, as it have now crashed on me 4 times in a row.

No red rings, but mid-game it will just halt and not respond to anything other than a reboot. It was in the horizontal position, loads of airflow, and not overly warm.

It sounds like a rash comment, but I can only comment as I find. The 360 is a joke!

Such a shame, cos I had massive hopes for this :(

Well, all that was in vain, as it have now crashed on me 4 times in a row.

No red rings, but mid-game it will just halt and not respond to anything other than a reboot. It was in the horizontal position, loads of airflow, and not overly warm.

It sounds like a rash comment, but I can only comment as I find. The 360 is a joke!

Such a shame, cos I had massive hopes for this :(

Really? Damn, sorry to hear that :(

This maybe a stupid question but, is it the same game that keeps crashing? I have had my 360 since December and I have had no crashes at all. It is a HDMI enabled 175w model. Sometimes the thing is on all day, playing games and videos. Might be that rather than the 360 itself. That being said, returning for a new one is always an option.

njlouch, take that box back asap. It's certainly not normal behaviour, so just take it straight back. Might have got knocked in shelf stacking or anything could have happened. Also check your disc - 360s can lock up entirely with scratched discs.

It's a 175w version.

It does it on 2 games SO FAR:

1) Forza 2 = Brand new

2) Star Trek Legacy = Pre Owned

Both are clean disks, no scratches.

I have been on to xbox support, and will take it back to the store tomorrow. It's REALLY disappointing, as the fiancee and I were looking forward to playing on it tonight. I am wondering how rude it would be to ask for something to compensate, such as a 1 month live, or some gamerpoints from the store that sold it...

The 360 is actually really good. I've had one and haven't had any problems. Make sure that it has ample cooling space though ;)

Yeah that's definitely very irregular behaviour. In fact, I don't think I've heard of symptoms quite like that for the 360. Failing drives, the obligitory RROD, occational crash (rare), but nothing that bad. Definitely take it back and get it exchanged.

Only games that have ever frozen on me are Army of Two and Bully.

Bully I believe due to the issues everyone was getting.

Hope your replacement runs better!

Well, got my 2nd one. 2 hours in and all still running fine. Also got it wired up via component now - so all HD goodness (1080i). Connected the optical but got nothing out so only running stereo at the moment.

Game were 100% fine. "I remember you, pass it here will swap immediately". I dislike the company but this one store is always great!

I think to enable the optical, you need to go into the console setup on the dashboard (far right tab) and pick "Dolby Digital" under sound options.