The REAL reason we use linux

NoneAvail

I use Ubuntu Linux because it's easy to install and uninstall, and I can customize it to how I want it to work and how I want it to look. I kept a Ubuntu install on my Inspiron 1520 laptop and it's fun to **** around with it whenever I am bored at home. But one thing that sucks is that, While I can be on Vista and use the wireless on my bed, but when I reboot into Ubuntu, the wireless won't catch the signal, it works on Vista and not on Ubuntu.

Sorry about hijacking the thread but I like to use different **** once in a while.

Jyang
What makes it funnier than all the other OSes? :huh:

The community. All other OSes are good and fun to mess with but when you have a problem you're on your own, instead for Linux you have a great community and support. Also I love playing with freedos, minix, opensolaris, ms-dos(yeah, I still have an original one installed in a virtual machine) etc.

MrFuji
Funny thing, I also saw this and posted it here http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...25728&st=45 It was a Windows verses Linux thing! This was from an English Blog. I think!

Yeah, it's from the same English blog I suppose (see source). I just found the link in the German forum... But I agree, you were first :) !

Ah, thanks to the one who corrected my spelling mistake in the title ^^ I found quite annoying to look at ;)

azz0r_wugg
Let me say that again. It's fun to use the command line.

No wonder non-Linuxers wouldn't understand.

BASICALLY, that says anyone who doesn't find command lines fun is a non-linux user.

Count me out, gladly, have fun tinkering with your command line while I do my work and then have a game of Battlefield 2 or Team Fortress 2.

markjensen
BASICALLY, that says anyone who doesn't find command lines fun is a non-linux user.

Count me out, gladly, have fun tinkering with your command line while I do my work and then have a game of Battlefield 2 or Team Fortress 2.

I wasn't aware of the Linux Community's efforts to recruit you, azz0r_wugg. I shall tell Linus Tovalds to stop contacting you and trying to get you to dump Windows for Linux. :p

That bit of silliness said, let me state in all seriousness that you don't have to love the command line to enjoy using Linux. My wife has no problems using Linux (less a strange sound issue for one app she uses) without knowing that a terminal even exists. Sure, there are some Linux users that really love the command line, but this article is simply a blog entry - an editorial opinion piece, if you will - from one individual from the group of people that do like to use the command line.

Evolution

well if you use monad, you'll find the "new" command prompt much more enjoyable :)

Denis W.

I was kind of forced to learn how terminals work - or at least the basics for last term's C++ programming class. I now find myself accidentally typing in 'ls' in Windows's CMD prompt. :blush:

But seriously: apart from playing around and experimenting how everything else works I also see the package manager as very useful. Checks for updates from nearly every single bit of software installable from packages (not by running shell scripts, configure, make), offers from updates, downloads them, quickly installs them, and then deletes the packages. I would much prefer that then different installers dumping files to either the root of my drive, %TEMP%, C:\Program Files\, %APPDIR%\install, etc. and not bothering to erase files for their installers. :pinch:

On the other side, dealing with independencies is a real pain in the ass for shell-script installers. Unless I'm mistaken there's no technology such as Microsoft's Fusion technology introduced with XP that can run different application libraries side by side.

Now for visuals, I have no idea why but in Vista the DWM+Aero mix likes to ramp up my laptop's GPU to high temperatures, sometimes for no reason. Not the case for either XP with no desktop composition whatsoever, or with Compiz Fusion that draws a bunch of crazy effects and manages to keep the laptop fan down. Yes, I understand that half the effects in CF are 'useless' and Aero's effects are less obnoxious, and that CF tends to fall apart much easier than Aero due to unsupported hardware configurations. However I'd like to have something fancy that keeps my laptop's GPU cool. My GPU was fried once, I'd like to keep this newer one alive. :)

Borbus
Once you get past the fun factor you discover other reasons.

Yeah.

I just couldn't use non-free software any more. After using Linux for a while you start to realise how much better it is to use free software. No longer do you have to worry about licensing activation bull**** and what you will have to sacrifice after you pay for the next software update. You don't have some big company telling you what you need on your PC and that you need to upgrade your PC because they have decided it is out of date. And for a hacker the ability to actually study and modify the code that you are using is invaluable.

It is a lot more fun to use free software too. Commercial companies have been releasing betas themselves for a few years now but in the free software world this is nothing new. Anything in active development you can compile nightlies (firefox) and SVN versions to test out bleeding edge software. And of course, you can join in the development if you are so inclined.

I was kind of forced to learn how terminals work - or at least the basics for last term's C++ programming class. I now find myself accidentally typing in 'ls' in Windows's CMD prompt.

Well, actually what you probably learnt how to use is bash. The windows command prompt is a joke compared to bash. I can't use it at all. I do type ls accidentally of course, but the tab completion is just bad, and it doesn't have the double tab list thing (you don't even need to use ls if you use double tab). It also doesn't have colour. Basically its just not really supposed to be used, unlike bash which is just excellent. Surprising that someone learning C++ doesn't even know how to use bash, though. I mean, C++ is a HELL of a lot more complicated than using a text based terminal.

Windam

I use it to learn new things? How can you top that? :laugh:

anarkhy

People think they are smarter than others who use windows.

I really hope one day linux become a mature os and have the proper support. So we can have a decent alternative to windows, especially with all crappy microsoft is doing with vista.

BilliShere
i still love my vista installs, but i have to admit after installing ubuntu and customizing it, i love it. i find myself using it more and more.

same here.. there are some things i miss in windows.. like office 2007 and one note. but heck i found a way to use them in ubuntu as well! wohoo seamless virtualbox!!

Denis W.
Surprising that someone learning C++ doesn't even know how to use bash, though. I mean, C++ is a HELL of a lot more complicated than using a text based terminal.

Almost all of us were Windows point-and-click users getting our first glimpse into the world of Linux distros. Our first lab was just learning bash commands, knowing what to type to compile our programs, and not to combine the words "Linux" and "sucks" because all text commands are case sensitive. ;)

tiagosilva29

Open Source cures: bruises, influenza, sexual impotence, cough, typhus, smallpox, headaches, cellulite, cramps, and many other maladies.

Union Jack
Open Source cures: bruises, influenza, sexual impotence, cough, typhus, smallpox, headaches, cellulite, cramps, and many other maladies.

Also the "Deadly gum disease known as GINGIVITIS!!!"

But seriously, Linux to me is just a good time. I love being able to customize nearly every aspect of my environment. I want things to work MY way not the way someone else thought I might want it to work. I'm one of those guys that loves working on one thing for hours before I goto something else. Just my two cents. :)

1Frothy

I had a lot of 'fun' with a flavor of Linux called 'Ubuntu'. It was great fun when it ran well but now that it freezes for no reason I can see. The real fun has started.

So, I understand the fun of playing with an OS other than Windows or Mac, but I just can't seriously rely on it. Fun over for me.

Berserk87
Also the "Deadly gum disease known as GINGIVITIS!!!"

GINGIVITIS!?!?!? that sounds scary and incurable!

:rofl:

Open Source cures: bruises, influenza, sexual impotence...

dosnt mean you'll be getting any :p

"hey baby....i use ubuntu"

tiagosilva29
"hey baby....i use ubuntu"

You mean... the Ubuntu CDs?

Berserk87
You mean... the Ubuntu CDs?

i dont follow...

DomZ

I have to work with windows machines, and although linux has an initial learning curve I personally find it overall actually easier to use! I'm always left pulling my hair out in work because windows wants me to go around the houses just to do a simple task.

The command line in linux is such a powerful tool that as others have mentioned I'm often caught typing simple linux commands that command prompt lacks, lsusb for example, which I used when trying to figure out why windows wasn't finding my removable usb drive..

Overall, if your not a gamer and just watch video, listen to music, browse the web, irc, msn, torrents etc. Then linux is probably a faster, safer and a better way to go about your things.

ichi
Unless I'm mistaken there's no technology such as Microsoft's Fusion technology introduced with XP that can run different application libraries side by side.

On gentoo you can keep several library versions installed on different slots.

Also, on any distro, you can tell a program to use whatever library you want it to use through environment variables.

And then there's also chroot.

Volatile
for me, actually, my Work is FUN, linux just keeps running without pesking me to scan this/that or alarming me for some files, or doesnt slow down suddenly where i have to search registrys and clean it and defrag and all that shi*. linux does its thing quietly and lately the way it can look and they way compiz expands usability, its amazing and makes me think why wont anyone use it.

If linux dominated the market, then you would have problems just like windows. Would you want to infect 97% of computer users or 1%? I find myself installing linux here and there because I want something different. I run into the problem of "dependencies" which is a real pain in the ass. Aptitude is making it better though. I have managed to get linux setup with all the drivers working and so-forth.. and find that all I can really do after that is surf the net. Programs I want to use like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc (and I'm talking latests versions... nothing Wine can do for me) I have to RDP to a Windows box in order to use them. Fun, yes.. I like the ability to customize and all the nice apps people have developed out there. I get to a point where I have it the way I want it and then don't know what to do anymore... but... surf the net.

Linux works great as a server. Something you want to install and just let sit there to run for days on end without intervention.

*** At work we use a server in our vehicles for digital video. The server's in each car run windows and I think that is ridiculous. Perfect situation for linux if you ask me....

rpgfan

Why do I use Linux? The answer is simple: it works better than Windows for me.

What is wrong with Windows? Nothing, except perhaps its built-in security issues, but if you are a smart surfer and keep your security up to date, you won't need to worry about things so much.

Hopefully I can build a MinGW version of the complete GCC soon. It'd be nice to get things working. ^_^

markjensen

What is wrong with Windows? Nothing, except perhaps its built-in security issues --

Well, you've put me in a position to defend Windows. :p

Microsoft took a big step with XP, in finally giving home users a true user account separation (thus allowing for administrator and unprivileged users). They defaulted to creating Admin users, but what the heck. It was a huge improvement over 9x!

And Vista brings in the user/admin separation a bit more, plus providing other useful features learned from XP.

-- but if you are a smart surfer and keep your security up to date, you won't need to worry about things so much....
And that applies to all OSes.