The REAL reason we use linux

ichi
Programs I want to use like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc (and I'm talking latests versions... nothing Wine can do for me)

Photoshop CS2 already works on wine, and CS3 will probably work soon as it already runs with a few glitches.

Foub
Well, you've put me in a position to defend Windows. :p

Microsoft took a big step with XP, in finally giving home users a true user account separation (thus allowing for administrator and unprivileged users). They defaulted to creating Admin users, but what the heck. It was a huge improvement over 9x!

And Vista brings in the user/admin separation a bit more, plus providing other useful features learned from XP.

And that applies to all OSes.

The problem with Vista is that they went overboard on security where it affects the legit user far more than a hacker or pirate. Don't believe me, download a pirated copy of Vista, you can even get one with SP! already installed and it is still activated fully. Vista also has many other real problems alongside that of security. I hear that the new final of SP1 is causing even more problems after it is installed. As I had said elsewhere an OS shouldn't be this problematic, especially one from a company that has been around this long. If you're going to be paying a lot for a piece of software it should be better than beta when it hits the market. 5 Years of development and it was still wasn't ready.

Denis W.
I hear that the new final of SP1 is causing even more problems after it is installed.

Possibly for some. SP1 from the public beta to final worked fine for my laptop. Public beta was installed on a three month old installation, the final was through a fresh install.

Vista's fine for capable hardware. Not that laptop I was working with yesterday that had a mobile Sempron 3000+ with 512 MB of RAM, an integrated Radeon Xpress 200M and a 4200(?) RPM drive. It was "Vista Capable," it ran Aero (after fighting with the Catalyst drivers to get it to recognize mobile chips, and holy crap is the Catalyst control panel and installer bloated as heck) but run three or more programs and it slows to a crawl. :/

Later on today when I try and reinstall XP SP3 on it I'll probably see how Ubuntu 8.04 beta runs on it. So far the LiveCD is running nicely on my desktop, which traditionally wasn't Ubuntu friendly for its first two years of life. This post was brought to you via the included Firefox 3 beta 4. :p

Knife Party

im dual booting ubuntu now for a week or so, and i must say its ahead of vista in many ways.

going back on vista feels boring and slow, i really like linux, and im been having my way with it and no problems :D

Foub
Possibly for some. SP1 from the public beta to final worked fine for my laptop. Public beta was installed on a three month old installation, the final was through a fresh install.
s

Its even deactivating many legit copies of Vista after installation as well.

Vista's fine for capable hardware. Not that laptop I was working with yesterday that had a mobile Sempron 3000+ with 512 MB of RAM, an integrated Radeon Xpress 200M and a 4200(?) RPM drive. It was "Vista Capable," it ran Aero (after fighting with the Catalyst drivers to get it to recognize mobile chips, and holy crap is the Catalyst control panel and installer bloated as heck) but run three or more programs and it slows to a crawl. :/

Later on today when I try and reinstall XP SP3 on it I'll probably see how Ubuntu 8.04 beta runs on it. So far the LiveCD is running nicely on my desktop, which traditionally wasn't Ubuntu friendly for its first two years of life. This post was brought to you via the included Firefox 3 beta 4. :p

When you say capable hardware do you mean that every time that Microsoft updates their OS from now on, to any real extent, you'll have to go out and buy a new system? Its like having to buy a new car every time they pave the road. Now why does that sound so familiar? :shifty: I'm glad that you don't have to do that with Linux.

GatorV

Quoting and old article I found:

Why I love free software:

- I want to upload my albumns to Picasa

- Picasa doesn't support uploading a series of albumns in Linux

- I search for a proyect/software that does it

- I dont find it.

- I search how to do it, and do it.

- It works

- I want to add thumbnail support

- I search for a proyect/sotware that does it

- I found one

- I send them my code to upload to picasa

- They integrate it to their proyect

http://marianoguerra.blogspot.com/2008/02/...ware-libre.html

To sum things up, Linux is fun because you can change something if you don't like it, or you can add to it and contribute to it, I'm a programmer, and I often need to do certain tasks, and if find a bug, I can try to fix it and contribute to a free world :)

Glowstick

Maybe because it's fun, but also because it works better.

Took me virtually no effort to get my iPod Touch to sync under goddamn Ubuntu 64bit, unlike Vista x64 where it still doesn't work after god knows how much trying, even Apple claiming it would with iTunes 7.6. Said iTunes even broke more things.

Andrew Lyle

I would say people use it because it's different. I tried ubuntu for a bit, and It was cool, but I can tell linux is still in it's early early stages. It has a lot to work on, but you can't rush a company that distrubutes an operating system for FREE.

I didn't find ubuntu fun at all. I found it very hard to navigate and annoying all at the same time, but only because I'm so use to Windows XP/Vista, that using Ubuntu was like trying to navigate Windows 1.1 :laugh:

Thrawn

Meaningless drabble. Computars are fun. I'm glad that Linux is fun for some people too. For other people its a nightmare - to each their own.

Foub
I would say people use it because it's different. I tried ubuntu for a bit, and It was cool, but I can tell linux is still in it's early early stages. It has a lot to work on, but you can't rush a company that distrubutes an operating system for FREE.

Its hardly in its "early early" stages. It has more than matured enough to be a valid alternative.

I didn't find ubuntu fun at all. I found it very hard to navigate and annoying all at the same time, but only because I'm so use to Windows XP/Vista, that using Ubuntu was like trying to navigate Windows 1.1 :laugh:

How long ago did you try it? I have nearly 25 years of experience using Microsoft's OSes and it is fair to say that I find Ubuntu easier to us in many ways and of course it is also far more reliable and stable as well. SP1 just came out for Vista and it is causing its own problems.

I went from Vista to XP, then dual booting XP and Ubuntu, and now I'm only using Ubuntu. I can still use all of my favorite Windows APPS while using WINE under Linux.

UKer
I went from Vista to XP, then dual booting XP and Ubuntu, and now I'm only using Ubuntu. I can still use all of my favorite Windows APPS while using WINE under Linux.

I think if a lot of people realised how well WINE works and what it is they'd realise there is an alternative to MS. The biggest misconception is that WINE is an emulator, when it isn't, most just presume it is and try and insist that it is somehow emulating a Windows environment, when the meaning of the acronym (WINE = Wine IS NOT AN EMULATOR!) says it all.

Foub
I think if a lot of people realised how well WINE works and what it is they'd realise there is an alternative to MS. The biggest misconception is that WINE is an emulator, when it isn't, most just presume it is and try and insist that it is somehow emulating a Windows environment, when the meaning of the acronym (WINE = Wine IS NOT AN EMULATOR!) says it all.

And there are those, some on here, who see even the idea that there is a valid alternative OS for the PC as an act of heresy and will attack any and all mention of it.

offroadaaron
Bottom line ... It WORKS :p

rofl that makes me laugh, I love unix and as a server it WORKS! as a home user its really not that great and I wouldnt use it. mac os has to be the best implementation of it (FREEBSD) otherwise it can be really annoying. Ive used heeps of variates and I just don't like it and find it annoying to use/ install drivers. Its not the fact i can't use it as appose to I get annoyed doing things i dont need to or it just takes take more time to do.

Flame suit on!

Krome
Why do I use Linux? The answer is simple: it works better than Windows for me.

What is wrong with Windows? Nothing, except perhaps its built-in security issues, but if you are a smart surfer and keep your security up to date, you won't need to worry about things so much.

Hopefully I can build a MinGW version of the complete GCC soon. It'd be nice to get things working. ^_^

I have not use Linux for quite sometimes and thinking of going back. I have tried GCC but back then it was just a CLI. Does that thing has a GUI shell interface now?

-Vivicidal-

The difference is, with Linux, you don't have to worry (so much) about viruses etc, which leaves you to do what ever you want.

linux is far more fun than windows, it can be a f*cking pain to set up, completely destroy windows in the process, and have absolutely no functional value, but it still kicks ass =P

Most of the main Linux distros come with easy set-up GUIs and live CDs and the drive managers are (usually) very good, I don't know what you are whining about really... you only need command line to add and change stuff, the odds are, if you want to change these settings then you will be OK with command line.

FrankieGTH

Windows XP: you rent your house and it comes with 'security' cameras reporting back to M$

Windows Vista: you rent your house with many more concealed cameras pointing on you, and homeland security probably has a copy of your keys

Linux: you own your house!

James7
Photoshop CS2 already works on wine, and CS3 will probably work soon as it already runs with a few glitches.

This is true, and wine is receiving constant active support from Google to make this a reality. Google are behind Linux in many other projects as well.

There is another issue I know people don't talk about much. I wonder how much of the software on an average Windows computer is actually legit? How much is not? How much illegal software is 'safe to use'? Probably not a lot!!

Linux is free as is most of the software (all the software I need). It's open source so you can know that it is not spying on you like adware, spyware, trojans pumped into Windows by 'crackz' and 'warez' and secret monitoring by mainstream software companies who know they can get away with it because they are closed source.