[NSFW] Model shots for sale at a car show/portfolio

your point?

haha i wondered the same thing. I somehow fail to see the point, because

1.) that kid is not going to be making very much money selling that shot

2.) He didn't have to do makeup

3.) I'm sure you had him change 5 different times

4.) You probably knew the location

5.) I don't think I need to go any further.

The intended use of the shoot I did, and what you did are 2 completely different uses.

Having said that, it is still a technically well done shot, so congrats...I just fail to see you're point, as saxondale does, for posting this?

Not trying to be vigilant, just showing that with a little practice you can do a whole lot with a little time.

Just trying to add to the discussion.

Not trying to be vigilant, just showing that with a little practice you can do a whole lot with a little time.

Just trying to add to the discussion.

ahh ok. thought you were trolling/thread crapping :) my apologies. the point still stands though that they are two different outcomes, thus require different ammount of prep. If i wanted to just go take nice snap shots of friends, objects, etc...yeah I could do it in about 15 minutes, but more prep goes into a model shoot.

ahh ok. thought you were trolling/thread crapping :) my apologies. the point still stands though that they are two different outcomes, thus require different ammount of prep. If i wanted to just go take nice snap shots of friends, objects, etc...yeah I could do it in about 15 minutes, but more prep goes into a model shoot.

No doubt, model shoots are in a different league, I know I've found it nigh on impossible to get together a stylist, a model, a location and transport within a day let alone a few hours, so kudos on that.

Do you shoot professionally, academically or as a hobby?

This has been an informative thread. I actually hadnt given much thought to the difficulty inherent within photography, but lens, flashes etc, style, location, lighting; I guess these are obvious considerations but the point being I respect theres some skill to not only using but knowing the camera and other factors. Furthermore the pictures were pretty cool and that star tatoo is catchy - plain simple but works well.

No doubt, model shoots are in a different league, I know I've found it nigh on impossible to get together a stylist, a model, a location and transport within a day let alone a few hours, so kudos on that.

Do you shoot professionally, academically or as a hobby?

Can I select 2 of the answers? haha I shoot as a Hobby, but professionally. I work as a support engineer for Lockheed Martin, troubleshooting supply chain equipment for the DoD, all RFID based equipment located on Military bases. When I'm not working there though, my entire weekends are usually spent working either on a shoot, planning a shoot, or editing the images from a shoot. I manage 2 models, so in addition to my portfolio, which I haven't updated for quite some time, I also manage their work, and help get them ready for car shows, model shows, and other shoots (hence the reason for this shoot, she needed images to sell). On average I do 2 shoots a month, although sometimes I've done as many as 6. When I get some free time, I do nature/landscape/other shoots as well, as is evident by the pictures I have posted of bridges, flowers, and animals in the digital photography thread. I can post some of them here if you wish. I would like to make it a full time job, and have plans on getting a small business loan to open my own studio/model agency down in LA or possibly in SF within a few years, but for now, it's just I guess an almost professional hobby. Until I get a studio up, I do not charge for alot of the stuff I do, however I do charge for prints, and if a custom shoot is asked for, or someone wants to use images I've done for a commercial reason, then I'll charge for that as well.

Can I select 2 of the answers? haha I shoot as a Hobby, but professionally. I work as a support engineer for Lockheed Martin, troubleshooting supply chain equipment for the DoD, all RFID based equipment located on Military bases. When I'm not working there though, my entire weekends are usually spent working either on a shoot, planning a shoot, or editing the images from a shoot. I manage 2 models, so in addition to my portfolio, which I haven't updated for quite some time, I also manage their work, and help get them ready for car shows, model shows, and other shoots (hence the reason for this shoot, she needed images to sell). On average I do 2 shoots a month, although sometimes I've done as many as 6. When I get some free time, I do nature/landscape/other shoots as well, as is evident by the pictures I have posted of bridges, flowers, and animals in the digital photography thread. I can post some of them here if you wish. I would like to make it a full time job, and have plans on getting a small business loan to open my own studio/model agency down in LA or possibly in SF within a few years, but for now, it's just I guess an almost professional hobby. Until I get a studio up, I do not charge for alot of the stuff I do, however I do charge for prints, and if a custom shoot is asked for, or someone wants to use images I've done for a commercial reason, then I'll charge for that as well.

Yeah that's awesome. Although I think the term shooting 'professionally' is up for debate. I personally think making a 'profession' out of it, i.e. actually living off the money you make from photography would deem you as a professional photographer.

Altho I see you have the drive for it, and already the potential, so who's counting, eh?

Charging for prints is just a no-brainer, right? I've done a few free prints just to get the word around, but I've found free prints for one person, and everyone expects them... Tough balance.