There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

I've just converted a Divx avi to x264 avi!

Hello.. :)

I've just converted a AVI file with codec Divx 5.0 to X264 AVI, and from 240MB of size it became 90MB..

Now.. I was waiting a lot of quality loss, but to my surprise at naked eye i don't see any difference..

This is a episode of a Anime, don't if that makes any difference at compression..

But is it normal to compress almost 200% and i can't see any difference in quality? :o

Thank you :)

It's not like you magically made the video twice as small, you just used a lower bitrate for the h.264. Anyways reencoding is not a good idea.

It's not like you magically made the video twice as small, you just used a lower bitrate for the h.264. Anyways reencoding is not a good idea.

Just wondering why is it not a good idea? I've recently been reencoding some of the films so they are smaller file sizes. I've watched a few and can't tell difference in quality. I might need a better quality TV lol

Well, i've been having a real battle with the x264 codec recently, With Anime you dont really need a high bitrate, for the same reasons that Anime "wallpapers" or "pictures" can be saved as Gifs instead of JPEGs. The lack of colours. information dosnt change on the screen all that much on an Anime (unless it's a DBZ battle scene of course :D) so bitrate aint all that important

Any kind of transcoding = quality loss. The loss will vary, but it exists every time.

If you want to use x264 AVI, rip from the source using that codec.

Only exception id put up is if you were in dire need of hard drive space, but with the price of hard drives today, do NOT go and transcode all your TV/Movie shows just to save a bit of space!

For a real comparison, re-encode the same video in DivX and H264 at a rather low bitrate, same for both.

H264 is an amazing codec. I wish no one would ever use any other codec.