This is the above but suposedly only moments after:

s1031136wl9.jpg

TowersTreatsandTrails10thFeb-Banque.jpg

Possibly the most famous:

s1030171rd8.jpg

Similar to above:

s1030172me4.jpg

Now I guess I should explain.

The location for these photos is an old building, built as far back as the 1800's. The house now is in total disrepair. Although it is secure at night, there are still many window panes without glass. The house is always cold to. My first thought was that this was dust reflecting from the camera flash as when you get a group of people walking through, you do get dust rising up. Someone once suggested that in some photos it might be mist from the morning hovering in the house.

Is there a good explanation of what this is or should I just let the people think it is a ghost? (lol at that!)

The reason I posted in here is because I want a technical view, not a ghost hunters view :p

Peter

Edited by Mr Spoon

Why is ET photoshopped into one of them?? It could be caused by a dirty lens and light coming in at the right angle for the ones without ET in them.

ET?

face1.jpg

face2.jpg

Aparently works better if you cross your eyes?

Yeah ET!!! The Extra Terrestrial? LOL.

Is this an SLR? If so I'd say you have dust, and you need to send it in for a sensor clean.

and these photos should be interesting because....?

edit: sorry, didn't read your post, i just saw the pictures and thought you actually "saw" a ghost :p

i've had the same question actually because it's happened to me once.. and it kinda freaked me out.

It happened with my S3IS only once.. out of thousands of shots, so it's definitely not dust related.

facts:

It was taken outside (obviously)

There was nobody or nothing around so it's not breath or exhaust.

It was taken on a tripod, which was about 2 feet shorter then myself so it was not my breath.

In a series of about 50 pictures that night, this was the only one that came out like this.

post-10919-1206293891_thumb.jpg

For some reason I came into this thread thinking I was going to see the latest shots from the Nine Inch Nails camp....

haha I thought something along the same lines for some reason!

but, as for the OP... ET being shopped into one of them makes me think theyre all bs right off the bat. but the second guy who posted the one pic he got from his tripod... ahhh makes me think, since it's just one shot outta so many. =\ hmm

Sensor dust does not produce ghost-like or hazy figures like that. The most you'll see (at small apertures) are small speckles on the image.

Sensor dust certainly can do that. Dust on the lens or shutter mirror will cause specks. Dust on the sensor can cause all sorts of weird and wonderful shapes.

Sensor dust certainly can do that. Dust on the lens or shutter mirror will cause specks. Dust on the sensor can cause all sorts of weird and wonderful shapes.

Depends basically on the sensor size and aperture--it's far more apparent with P&S since the sensor is smaller. It's very rare to see large white hazy smog like images like these as sensor dust. (sensor dust is dark/black and small usually)

drumroll please.....

Your answer lies in the following: Photoshop, Dust, Dirt, water vapor, or fog (see previous), that is too even to be dust on the lens, dust on the lens/sensor shows up as dark little round spots, not white vapor. my guess is fog or water vapor.