"Ghosts" in Photos

not a ghost. definitely dust in some. cynics would say the vapor shots were created with flash and a misting spray bottle filled with water.

Really? People on neowin? :p lol J/k... IMO i would doubt...

i can't speak for the first images.. but you are wrong in assuming the picture i posted is dust, or mist of some sort.

It's happened to me all the time, I live in Central america, A very humid place I get these sorta pictures mostly at night ( like yours bubba), I just erase it and continue shooting :p. I figured it was probably either some moisture the wind blew in. Anyway... Who's to say it's not a ghost?

i can't speak for the first images.. but you are wrong in assuming the picture i posted is dust, or mist of some sort.

actually I am not wrong for assuming, as I've taken pictures with my pocket digital camera that while not as bad as that, has had white areas in it that I couldn't figure out were causing them. It turned out it was water vapor/dust particles in the air that the flash reflects off of, causing a highlight to occur in the image. if you don't believe me, go out on a night where its very humid, and take a picture with flash, don't be surprised if you get a ghastly white image. Do not insult my intelligence, and I will not do the same to you.

Rain / Fog / Mist / Dew / Frost / Condensation - Top

All of the above can cause image degradation, or 'ghosts' that are seen in some images. A random, translucent, milky white wash across an image is a sign of fog or mist. This occurs when the light from the cameras flash or other light source bounces around the water droplets that the fog or mist is composed of. Fog, illuminated by the flash, can glow as if it has its own light source. There is not much that can be done to avoid this problem. You can move the camera out of bottoms or away from pond / lakesides - but fog, mist, or low clouds can show up almost anywhere. Try reducing the detectors sensitivity so that your targets are closer - but that will only help a to a certain degree.

Under certain conditions fog, mist, or moisture-saturated air can condense to form dew, or if cold enough, frost. This can gather on the window over the cameras lens and cause pictures to be blurry in spots - or become partially or completely obliterated if heavy dew or frost builds up on the lens window. Cold drops of dew running over the sensor window can cause falsing. A heavily frosted PIR sensor window may not permit motion to be detected at all. Frost or dew can be hard to diagnose as problems because it has often evaporated by the time you get out to inspect your camera. Fortunately you can do something about dew and frost! Hoods over the lens and sensor windows will provide some protection from the moisture-saturated air passing over the lens and sensor windows, and prevent much of the moisture from collecting on the windows. Crow Systems offers optional hoods for our cameras. Contact us for details.

Rain can have much the same effect - cool or warm rainwater running over the sensor window can cause falsing, and drops on the lens window can cause blurry images. The hoods described above will solve many rain-related problems. In tropical areas lens & sensor hoods are almost a requirement. A product such as Rain-ex? can also be used to help the rain run off the lens window faster - do not use it on the sensor window! - we do not know if the chemistry of Rain-ex? type products will degrade the sensor window material over time.

Notes: The rain hoods might cause minor vignetting of the image depending upon your specific camera system. Under certain temperature and humidity conditions, condensation could form inside the cameras housing. If you ever encounter this problem, simply enclose a fresh desiccant packet inside the housing. Various chemistry desiccants are available either from us, or from the many suppliers of electronic / photography equipment.

quoted from Tips for automated photography

there are sample pictures posted below there, so you judge for yourself kind sir.

oh come on, ghosts or anything of that matter don't exist.

Wrong. I have seen 2 in my life so far. And no, I am not kidding.

I dunno what caused those wispy things in the pictures. Looks like cigarette smoke to me.

Wrong. I have seen 2 in my life so far. And no, I am not kidding.

I dunno what caused those wispy things in the pictures. Looks like cigarette smoke to me.

you'd be surprised what your mind can create.

i'm not insulting your intelligence "kind sir", i'm completely aware that you are knowledgeable in regards to photography. However, don't insult mine in the same respect by saying you know the facts and circumstances regarding my picture, ie. dust, photoshop etc.. For what it's worth i don't believe it's a ghost either.. but so far it's yet to be explained given the facts. As far as dust, i highly doubt it as this has only happened that one time, ever, with that camera. Humidity/Moisture, i highly doubt that as well as it was taken in January 2007, in ontario canada, it's not very "humid" in ontario in january. Also, it was in my backyard.. nothing around except for me.. and as i said previously the tripod was sitting a good 2 feet below my face, so the "fog" is not my breath.

I appreciate the link you posted, it did give alot of insight to things like this, but none of the examples on that page looked anything like the picture i posted.

look, thats like saying if I told you exactly how i took a picture, and gave you the exact settings, you think you're gonna get the exact same photo? There aren't such things as ghosts, and saying that whats in your photo isn't whats in those pictures is laughable. Those are examples, and very VERY bad ones at that, but i posted them to illustrate the point, that that is how these things are brought about. Hogwarts is not real, ghosts are not real, aliens....possibly, but either there was something in the air, or something else happeend...I don't know, as I didn't take the pictures.

On a side note, and OP, I am NOT aiming this at you in anyway, so please don't take offense, but why is it that every time you see "ghost" pictures, they are always taken by amateur photographers, with crappy cameras, with the wrong settings, poor lighting, etc.? You never see a "ghost" in any of ansel adams's work. You don't see it in any of the sports illustrated/maxim/playboy/name your favorite magazine here shots do you? no. Which only backs up my point that this is either something in the air, or operator malfunction. not a ghost. I know we all want to believe in something, but there is nothing at play here.

SirEvan i find you're ignorance is just amazing... you give your opinions as though they are facts, and say something like there are no such things as ghosts, but aliens.. maybe??? First of all, even though you may not believe in ghosts, some people do, as you apparently believe in aliens, but i may not.. it doesn't mean that your opinion is factual.

SirEvan i find you're ignorance is just amazing... you give your opinions as though they are facts, and say something like there are no such things as ghosts, but aliens.. maybe??? First of all, even though you may not believe in ghosts, some people do, as you apparently believe in aliens, but i may not.. it doesn't mean that your opinion is factual.

Ok man...think about this...there are HOW many freaking stars in the entire universe? of those, HOW Many of them have other bodies orbiting them. Of those, how many do you suppose contain the right conditions for life...Of those, how many do you think might have had the chance at life......see where i'm getting. Just in the visible sky at night there are more stars than you can count, so the posibility of life SOMEWHERE else in the universe, is very good. Don't be a tard and assume I mean little green men with big black eyes coming and abducting people and mutilating cows....because I don't believe in that crap. But life somewhere else in the entire universe, yes I believe in that. Don't be stupid.

Now on your other point, ghosts...be real...cameras capture visible light reflecting off of objects, with the exception of IR film/converted digitals. So if it was on your shot, then you would've seen it, and judging by the people milling about in that shot, nobody sees jack. The need to believe is a very powerful one my friend, but the chance of "ghosts" existing....highly unlikely. bring me some ectoplasm, or a ghost in a little shoe box with caution tape over it delivered by 4 guys in weird suits....and I'll believe it then.

of the one ghost i've seen in my life, it doenst look like that lol. o well i'm pretty sure it wasn't just my mind cuz we had 6 people that saw it together rofl. it was a very defined black shade that was clearly a woman + a kid. yes it was in my old house.

of the one ghost i've seen in my life, it doenst look like that lol. o well i'm pretty sure it wasn't just my mind cuz we had 6 people that saw it together rofl. it was a very defined black shade that was clearly a woman + a kid. yes it was in my old house.

oh but moonman you couldn't have seen a ghost.. because SirEvan said they don't exist, so that must be true. However he did say that aliens exist so that must be true also, because HE SAID SO. But he also knows that they are NOT little green men, because if you assume that, YOU are a "tard".

Again your ignorance shines through and you're just making yourself out to look like a complete ass. While i have respected you in the past for your knowledge about photography, that respect has since been tossed out the window because your true colors paint you to be a complete jackass who needs to be bitch slapped off your silly little pedestal.

I never once said that i did or did not believe in aliens or ghosts, but you feel the need to prove that what you believe is the truth, because you just CANNOT be wrong.

oh but moonman you couldn't have seen a ghost.. because SirEvan said they don't exist, so that must be true. However he did say that aliens exist so that must be true also, because HE SAID SO. But he also knows that they are NOT little green men, because if you assume that, YOU are a "tard".

Again your ignorance shines through and you're just making yourself out to look like a complete ass. While i have respected you in the past for your knowledge about photography, that respect has since been tossed out the window because your true colors paint you to be a complete jackass who needs to be bitch slapped off your silly little pedestal.

I never once said that i did or did not believe in aliens or ghosts, but you feel the need to prove that what you believe is the truth, because you just CANNOT be wrong.

haha bubba :p relax all :p think of ur little girl when u type :p HAHA j/k anyways, that must mean my entire family + relatives are insane cuz we've all been bothered by our friend in our house LOL.

My parents a few years back went to Mexico for some church related things and got some interesting "ghostly" pictures, I'll post them tomorrow if I find them.

and for bubba and the original poster's photo, it doens't look like anything such as dust to me. vapor? maybe. anything else? maybe. unless u can go back to the original place and do an experiment (that totally mimics the original photographer or photos) that concludes with exactly same phenomenon, then it can be anything. and for the person that pointed out that all ufo shots are always grainy and unclear, well it's probably cuz maybe only 1 in 200 people or even more slim chance than that carries a super telephoto + camera everyday LOL

post-17647-1206591316_thumb.jpg

Spirits from another dimension who came to get their photo taken?

or

Drops of water too close for the focus to show them?

Definitely the spirits.

Ok that's enough, why is there always someone like you to post some bs and nonsense to the post....

At least SirEvan makes sense, your just here to babble and create confusion.

So... with that said, I think this weird ghosting effect is created by slow shutter combined with a source of light coming in at a odd angle.... but that might be completely wrong... just my opinion

These photos are pretty lame IMO compared to the ones my parents got a few years back.

I don't believe in ghosts or aliens, etc....But these pictures posted now are horrible "ghost" pictures.

Ok that's enough, why is there always someone like you to post some bs and nonsense to the post....

At least SirEvan makes sense, your just here to babble and create confusion.

So... with that said, I think this weird ghosting effect is created by slow shutter combined with a source of light coming in at a odd angle.... but that might be completely wrong... just my opinion

I would expect nothing but the same ignorance that SirEvan shows from a Montreal resident. So my post is babbling because i pointed out that not everything SirEvan says is true? The guy posts that aliens are real, and ghosts are not, BECAUSE HE SAYS SO! And expects the world to follow suit because he's SirEvan. Obviously you're a follower but again you're a Quebecer so it's understandable.