Bose or Infinity?

If you buy the Bose then you have merely bought into their massive advertising campaign. That's why you pay more. Someone has to pay for the advertising....

I have gotten to the point where I won't buy anything that's advertised like Bose or say Tempurpedic.

Take tempurpedic for example. It costs about $4,000.00 to purchase a mattress set from them. I went to original mattress factory and looked at the insides of all the different mattresses including tempurpedic and I could see that a smaller operation like original mattress factory put more time and effort (and better materials) to make a higher quality product that cost less. I paid $700.00 and my back couldn't be happier. :D

I would definitely recommend Polk Audio or Infinity over Bose. There are a lot of great speakers out there. It just depends on what you are looking for and how much you are willing to pay.

If your dad is willing to pay the "bose" price you may want to look at something like Klipsch. Check out avsforum.com

Bose is junk. You can get a lot better sound out of speakers for less money as well than the overhyped Bose's.. Infinity, Mission, Paradigm are all good brands and will save you money and will please your ears.. We're not talking about B&W here, but Infinity is all I use in my vehicles and my HT consists of a custom Mission setup.. Was once Paradigms (Powered with Amp built in each speaker, and Made in Canada also so you won't get some crap components..) but, when i wanted to go 7.1, my Paradigm dealer here closed on me. :(

My cuz had a Bose setup for his HT and he says the Missions blow it away.. And it cost me about 700 cdn less than a similar setup with Bose..

Mission (http://www.mission.co.uk/)

Paradigm (http://www.paradigm.com/)

As for Polk Audio.. Maybe 5-7 years ago I would recommend them.. Now they are just a name like Sony.. :devil:

Infinity

I feel so sorry for my dad. Spent $800 on something you could get for $150

Now they are just a name like Sony.. :devil:

What exactly are you trying say?

Around here the quote is: "All Highs, All Lows, must be a Bose"

obviously referring to the fact that Bose have nothing in the mid-range sound scape.

You're both wrong. It's

"No highs, no lows, obviously, Bose blows."

God, I'm so special :D

Infinity

I feel so sorry for my dad. Spent $800 on something you could get for $150

What exactly are you trying say?

More or less, years ago I would recommend Sony products.. Now even their home theater stuff is junk.. Heck, years ago I even owned a Sony ES setup when I first got into home theater stuff. Throughout the listing of stuff that I have owned from Sony that didn't last..

4 TV's (Including a not-cheap trinitron flat..), 3 PS2s (And no, they were NOT chiped.. Just started getting disk read errors, and yes, I did try all the tricks.. Adjust POT, clean lens with Isopropyl Alcohol, change DVD controller chips and blew the machines out with Compressed air. Changed laser on one and it only lasted another 3 months.. It was a flaw with the V4's (GT4 bundles) and 2 revisions after. Latest one works but its only 2.5 years old and its a fat ver for the HDD option. :) As well, its barely used now), Sony ES home theater setup (DVD player stopped reading disks, and the Receiver blew something on the amp.. Can't remember what tho..), 5 Portable CD players (Ownded one since day one.. Big clunky things... Only thing I have from Sony that still works great is a MiniDisk Recorder for recording drum tracks for shows..

So, yeah.. A lot of people still buy Sony.. But, the quality just isn't there anymore..

More or less, years ago I would recommend Sony products.. Now even their home theater stuff is junk.. Heck, years ago I even owned a Sony ES setup when I first got into home theater stuff. Throughout the listing of stuff that I have owned from Sony that didn't last..

4 TV's (Including a not-cheap trinitron flat..), 3 PS2s (And no, they were NOT chiped.. Just started getting disk read errors, and yes, I did try all the tricks.. Adjust POT, clean lens with Isopropyl Alcohol, change DVD controller chips and blew the machines out with Compressed air. Changed laser on one and it only lasted another 3 months.. It was a flaw with the V4's (GT4 bundles) and 2 revisions after. Latest one works but its only 2.5 years old and its a fat ver for the HDD option. :)), Sony ES home theater setup (DVD player stopped reading disks, and the Receiver blew something on the amp.. Can't remember what tho..), 5 Portable CD players (Ownded one since day one.. Big clunky things... Only thing I have from Sony that still works great is a MiniDisk Recorder for recording drum tracks for shows..

So, yeah.. A lot of people still buy Sony.. But, the quality just isn't there anymore..

I surprisingly never had problems with any of my sony products. Heck, my aunt's 1970 vinyl record player still works. My Sony products have always worked for me. Maybe I'm just an anomaly?

1970, it would still work. :) Old 2 channel stereo receiver from Sony in the garage still works fine.. Not saying everything is broken.. :) I am talking in the last 8 to 10 years ago.. :) And I use my toys on a contant basis.. Work from home so something is always on. :) lol.. And once ya have kids, its used even more. :p But, no, my kids aren't rough with the toys.. If they are, its taken away from them.. I ain't made of money! I know, it technically does grow on trees, but I don't make my own. :cry: lol

Speakers are subjective. It is what the listener prefers. If you want a truly flat response, you have to go with studio monitors (like Mackie or Rokit, or Genelec). If your parents like Bose, fine. If they like infinity, so be it. If they like Sony, oh well.

Personally, I have a pair of Rokit6 (powered) to a Denon amp with 7 discreet outputs, though I only use two. It is the closest thing I could afford to put together that would actually play the music the way the artist heard the music in the studio.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to this forum - Hey everyone! Anyway, just had to weigh in here. As a former owner of Bose, old and newer types, I've never felt more rippped off in my life and am quite embarrassed to admit that I once owned several Bose systems.

I am a recovering Bose owner. However, I currently have JBL in-wall speakers to keep the wife happy and still have good in-wall sound.

In my workshop though, I have a simple pair of Inifinity bookshelf speakers with an 8" woofer and a piezo style tweeter. The reminded so much of an old pair of Acoustic Research 17s I had back in college. The bass is solid and the highs and mid-range are clear.

Bose are muddy --- how anyone can think a 1.5" paper cone can produce a clear high "C" note is beyond me.

thanks for listening--

josephr

PS- I'm also building "my dream system" in the basement with a pair of old magnepans!!! yippee! can't wait to get it all put together!

Which model?

They're the first ones -- MG-1 -- I bought them at a yard sale for $40 for the pair! (I can't afford any of the newer ones.). Anyway, they have a very "small" sweet spot as they're very directional but the sweet spot is amazingly sweet! If you've never gotten in the path of a pair of ribbon speakers, you don't really know what you're missing -- to be enveloped by sound is incredible! Anyway, I picked up a rotel amp off of ebay to run them and its a clean sound. Also, I found a low-pass module to separate out everything below 105hz and am going to run that to a subwoofer as honestly, there's not a lot of good bass.

They're the first ones -- MG-1 -- I bought them at a yard sale for $40 for the pair! (I can't afford any of the newer ones.). Anyway, they have a very "small" sweet spot as they're very directional but the sweet spot is amazingly sweet! If you've never gotten in the path of a pair of ribbon speakers, you don't really know what you're missing -- to be enveloped by sound is incredible! Anyway, I picked up a rotel amp off of ebay to run them and its a clean sound. Also, I found a low-pass module to separate out everything below 105hz and am going to run that to a subwoofer as honestly, there's not a lot of good bass.

MG-1 are not ribbons, they're panels. I used to own a pair of MG-IIIs with the ribbon tweeters and they were kick butt.

If you're not getting decent bass, make sure they're at least 3 feet from the back wall. The more room you can give them behind, the better (to a point, of course).

So anyways, just to update, we did end up getting the Infinity speakers (I did convince them). And a Denon receiver. And a Sony Bravia 52" KDL-52XBR4. As well as a PS3 for the movies and games.

We just don't have carpet in the room yet. So once that's done, let the setup and calibration begin.

You can always purchase a cheap SPL meter at Radioshack to ensure that your receiving the same DB level from each speaker, thats is if your receiver doesn't have built in calibration software. Plus, if your looking to sweeten the deal, you may try to use foam padding on the walls - creatively placed of course to absorb any overtly reflective frequencies.

Congrats on the Infinity speaks! Your ears will thank you for years to come; not to mention your wallet.