Dell 2408WFP REVIEW from a Laymans point of view

I have a 2408WFPb A00 - Manufactured and purchased last week in February - seems this revision b is new, as the non revision b version is A04.

I use it with an Asus N7600GS Silent/HTD 256MB NVidia GeForce 7600 AGP 8x. I have a smaller hp LCD screen as the secondary monitor, works a treat.

When watching Standard DVD movies do you guys see noise??? I am using the DScaler plugin for Media Player Classic and that helps a bit but overall quality I found to be less appealing compared to my CRT 21in. Don't get me wrong I LOVE this monitor but maybe others are using a better method to watch SD movies.

I think on Thursday or Friday I may order the Palit 9600GT with DisplayPort and HDMI. I really would like to see if there is any difference since I have not found a soul who is using DisplayPort or HDMI with this monitor..... plus I would like to upgrade my 7900GT :)

I just got a 2407WFP-HC installed today. We had a stack of them delivered the other day and I found out one was for me. :)

Goes quite well next to my 2005FPW.

while the 2408 is a great monitor for the price, It's color qualities leave something to be desired when it comes to photography. I might use this as a preview monitor for displaying WIP's, but for actual editing, a 10 or 12 bit panel is much better, such as the new NECs' LACIE 324, or eizo lcd's I was debating about getting this exact monitor, but after reading reviews about color consistancy and accuracy, think i'm either going to go with the LACIE 324 or the NEC 26" model. Great review though, and I may end up picking one up anyway to use as a display monitor wor overall images.

one question, for all you people that have one, how many of you have the pink/red coloring on the sides of your screen that some people seem to be experiencing?

one question, for all you people that have one, how many of you have the pink/red coloring on the sides of your screen that some people seem to be experiencing?

I can not see that issue at all and I have used monitor testing application's, photoshop, Opera, watched DVD's and no issues at all. Corners do have the backlight bleed through but I have not found a single large screen LCD that didn't do this. I think I notice it on the left side on DVD's more then the right. With the monitor testing app with a black background I see it in all 4 corners and it's faint. I think we can all agree that ALL of these large monitor's have some sort of issue and none are 100% perfect. I for one don't think LCD technology is that great or it is great and video cards and sources are not up to their level.... I may be way off track

received the card today and installed it, since it is better then my older card I am going to keep it but only difference I have noticed is

the FPS is 60 compared to 30 on previous card. Quality is about the same or equal so far to DVI. I guess if I had a larger display it would make a difference. I am still testing and trying things, I can change the color format with the display port but it doesn't look as good as RGB.

I could mess around with the HDMI connection and compare but I have a feeling DVI, Display Port, HDMI for this case would all be the same. Seems like a great card though and worth the 189. if you have an older card like I did :)

Ok I have received mine and am far from happy. The screen is ok, no dead pixels. There is a slight pinky tint towards LH side of screen. Not too noticeable. The real problem though is the input lag. I tried HL2 and COD4 and playing these FPS games with mouse input lag is horrible. I will be returning my monitor and maybe getting a Samsung.

Overall good for normal use, but no good for FPS gamers.

Maybe they will fix this lag on next revision? If they do I would recommend this monitor as 4 stars.

But now with lag issue I can only give it 2.5 stars out of 5.

Hope this helps you guys.

I have had 3 24" monitors now, the Hyundai PVA panel, the Dell 2408WFP and the BenQ FP241W.

The BenQ is miles ahead of both the others but it suffers from slight buzzing below 70 brightness and also has the standard VA panel colour shift which I just cannot have for photo presentation so have opted to buy the Hazro 24" S-IPS panel as soon as Hazro confirm the order form to me.

The Dell was the worst of the bunch with red colour fringing around white text on dark BG, a buzzing noise too and oversaturated colours (though fixed after calibration). It also had a VERY visible input lag compared to the BenQ, the Hyundai also had slight input lag but the BenQ is virtually zero (8ms offset from a CRT as tested by another FP241W owner).

My experience with 3 different *VA based panels the past few weeks has been enough to make me never choose a VA based panel again, I've been on S-IPS for years with the 2007WFP and as such have been spoiled by the technology for colour critical work as well as movies and gaming.

Roll on Hazro!

hz24wbj1.jpg

Look at the all aluminium casing:

2.jpg

I experienced the input lag on the mouse when I first received the monitor. It seems when I went to the HDMI cable and the Dual Link DVI adapter removed that lag. Now with DisplayPort I haven't seen a thing. I do agree on the colors needing to be calibrated and that would be an extra cost to me... which I am not fond of. One thing that annoys me but I see that many have the issues is the noticeable difference in video quality from CRT to LCD and it seems other experience it with larger screens. Using PureVideo codec for DVD and Dynamic Contrast feature on the monitor it seems to go away during the movie. On downloaded video I have tweaked FDDShow to remove the noise, this makes me think it is more software then hardware.

I would like to know how others are experiencing that pinkish color on the left side, what do you look at to see it? I have used a DisplayMate and other apps with a white background and I do not see any pink. At certain angles I would say that each corner has a shadow and I imagine it is from that backlight.

I had the same text issue on things like menu's in applications (mostly Opera) once I lowered the sharpening to 25 that helped with the text redness. I think at 25 the text is clear and easier to read.

Give me one panel at 24in that has everything working 100% with not a single issue? and Hazro who is that? Did you see this at a retailer?

thanks

Hazro have been making medical displays for years and only just started making commercial displays. one of the guys on ocuk who has a dpms issue on his monitor today had a hazro technician out to his house at no extra cost to diagnose the problem, the tech replaced a part in the monitor and is due to get further info from hazro themselves and possibly send someone else out to issue the fix if a fix is found - if that is not service then I don't know what is.

I'm just awaiting my order confirmation now.

After reading so many reports of input lag w/ the 24" monitors (not just Dell) I think I'm going to go with a 22" Samsung TN. Not doing any image editing, I'm a games programmer by day, and a gamer by night, so I don't think I require the 8bit panel. The new Samsung 2253bw seems to be a decent monitor.

I know how sullysnet feels, been looking for a worth while large widescreen monitor for ages now. All of them have drawbacks, and make me not commited to any of them.

I had a Samsung Pebble 22", but that had awful colour banding issues, and samsung said that they couldn't do anything about it except change it for another used one.

well it seems my displayport has major issues...... if you turn off the monitor or let it go to sleep it will never come back from sleep mode.... FN great!!! so this port is a waste of time if I can't fix it. I hit the keyboard a 100 times... nothing I switch ports like it says on screen.... NOTHING. I have to hit the reset button to make it come alive. Now I am not sure if I should return the monitor to Dell and bitch at them or return the Palit card since I am getting nowhere.

I am not happy all around...

nice wall you got there :D

LOL, THIS DUDE WROTE A LONG AS DETAILED REVIEW, AND THEN THE FIRST PERSON, COMES ALONG TO SAY, "NICE WALL YOU GOT THERE"

LOL, THIS DUDE WROTE A LONG AS DETAILED REVIEW, AND THEN THE FIRST PERSON, COMES ALONG TO SAY, "NICE WALL YOU GOT THERE"

LOL....

even i was surprised :p

After reading so many reports of input lag w/ the 24" monitors (not just Dell) I think I'm going to go with a 22" Samsung TN. Not doing any image editing, I'm a games programmer by day, and a gamer by night, so I don't think I require the 8bit panel. The new Samsung 2253bw seems to be a decent monitor.

Thats exactly what I've just done! Should be arriving from Komplett tomorrow.

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=34...tm_campaign=wof

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/...=LS22AQWJFV/XAA

I returned the Dell 2408 as was no good for FPS gaming. I'll report on the Samsung 22" LCD Syncmaster 2253BW, 1680x1050, VGA/DVI, 2ms, 8000:1 tomorrow night!!!

Thats exactly what I've just done! Should be arriving from Komplett tomorrow.

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=34...tm_campaign=wof

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/...=LS22AQWJFV/XAA

I returned the Dell 2408 as was no good for FPS gaming. I'll report on the Samsung 22" LCD Syncmaster 2253BW, 1680x1050, VGA/DVI, 2ms, 8000:1 tomorrow night!!!

Awesome, looking forward to the review.

... At first I thought you were some crazy Legend of Zelda obsessed idiot. Then I rembered Ruppes are real currency.

Now I feel like an idiot.

Ok got my new Samsung 22" LCD Syncmaster 2253BW, 1680x1050, VGA/DVI, 2ms, 8000:1 plugged in.

Just gonna give initial impression:

Colours seem good but also slighly washed, there is a little backlight bleed all around the edges of the screen when screen is black.

It seems really bright. I think i need to take more time to set up the monitor.

Just had a quick game on COD4 and the responsiveness is really good. No ghosting or lag present.

I think i need to calibrate my gamma and brightness settings.

Overall i'm quite happy with it, 4 stars out of 5 at the moment. Maybe more once i have fiddled with it. Seems an ideal monitor for a gamer though.

good info, I am returning the Palit card and giving up for now on the DisplayPort. Will be moving to a 9800GTX EVGA 770MHz 512MB

Seems like a sweet card :) since I can't afford a GX2

Once I sell the Dell 24in I will move to the NEC 24in but at a cost...... I think that monitor will cover all my needs.... IT BETTER :)

• 1 month later...

I'm going to buy this monitor when I get paid this month, but where did the people from the UK buy it from?

Dell.com - US - $619.00

Dell.co.uk - UK - ?422

619.00 USD = 313.733 GBP

Why is there a ?110 difference? Also, the ironic thing is it says you save $60 from the US site, but ?140 from the UK.

Is there any trusted alternative places to buy these?