White Spots on Photos

I recently noticed some white spots on my photos I thought it was dust I checked the lens and could see any dust I cleaned it anyway and shot a photo in black and I notice these white spots any help on what this is and how to get rid of them?

Photo below click for the full size.

canon422xo0.th.jpg

The same way you can get dead pixel on a LCD/TFT screen you can also get minor faults on a digital cameras sensor you will notice them on slow shutter shots or like your one a totally black shot.

Its not to be worried about just about every camera will have some when they test them in the factory I think they map each sensor and the camera knows where the dead ones are and attempts to fix it by making it the same color as the onces next to it in the .jpg file

Looks like an issue with the pixel mapping on the sensor or something like that. I have a hot pixel on my 40D, which is similar to that but red. What camera are you using?

EXIF data says hes got a "Make - Canon Model - Canon PowerShot S2 IS"

I'd almost expect a couple on those cameras but that is quite a few on that shot.

Wonder if there's a limit on the number of hot/dead pixels on a sensor before you're allowed to return it as faulty, as per LCD screens.

Its quite a common topic @ Dpreview.com often if you send back the camera they will just re map it I'm not sure on how many you have to have.

I'd still go for it and see what happens.

apparently it's possible to remap the sensor yourself. i never really looked into that.

Must be those ghosts.

if its not that big of a deal to you, you can always photshop them with the healing brush. There are quite a few of them however, and that would suck each picture if they're noticeable. try looking into having it repaired.

• 2 weeks later...