Apple Releases 2 New "Get A Mac" Ads

Macs aren't designed to sell and make money? I'm pretty sure Apple is just as much of a corporation as is Microsoft.

I use windows, but have to admit macs have a better design in hardware and software than windows. Microsoft puts more garbage in their software.

One thing these ads prove is that a lot of Microsoft users have little to no sense of humour and can't take criticism. I use Vista and it's been less than stellar, yet I keep using it; sadomasochism?

If it weren't for the gaming stranglehold I would be using a Mac. Then again Microsoft has made sure that gaming would be as difficult as possible for consumers and hardware manufacturers.

Maybe I should switch as my Wii and PS3 aren't guinea pigs to DRM.

If it weren't for the gaming stranglehold I would be using a Mac.

Ditto (Y)

I find it funny how a mac was hacked in less than 2 minutes using the products that comes bundled with the Mac

In order to exploit Vista though, they had to use a third party addon (Flash) to hack it.

Gogo Apple!

10% worldwide and 21% in the US. Consumer markets.

Here, let me fix that for you.

1.8% worldwide and 6.22% in the US. Consumer markets.

- Macword - March 14, 2008

I use windows, but have to admit macs have a better design in hardware and software than windows. Microsoft puts more garbage in their software.

Incorrect. Third party vendors put garbage in their software. A stock installation of Windows contains no trialware at all. Oddly enough, Mac OS X does come with some trialware. They give you a trial of iWork, while Windows includes only full software, like Notepad, etc.

Better design in hardware and software is a matter of opinion, not fact.

To put this as nicely as I can, I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Lies? LOL

With more people than ever switching to ... or buying Mac's, I think it's not lies at all.

Great Ad's Apple cheerleader.gif

I don't think anyone here is contesting the effectiveness of the ads, they are contesting the nature of the ads. I'm glad more people are switching to Macs, I really am, but simply bashing the competition is just plain smug, and it seems like Apple's fan-base, more than any others, propagate this arrogant attitude.

I was interested in switching to a Mac a while ago. However, these ads are the reason I did not. I usually never buy anything that keeps being advertised every couple of minutes, especially something that is filled with nonfactual information most of the time.

Not being able to run it on a regular PC easily also turned me off....there is no way that I would spend that much on computer hardware (I build computers, so it's obvious they are ripping people off).

Looking to switch to Linux full time however, which will probably be the case in the next couple of months.

These ads are misleading to consumers, and I don't think that it's right.

Sure you can quote and argue that line as much as you want, but you KNOW it is true!

One line in the video said: "You decided to stick with PC instead of getting a mac". How is switching from a PC to a Mac easier then going from XP to Vista? With a whole new line of applications you need to use, it's not easy for the under-adverage user to do.

I use both Windows and OSX, and I find both mostly fine. and I also hate Apple's ads - if you're a Apple idiot fanboi, they're probably amusing, but deal with both Vista and Leopard everyday, and usually just work. Sell the computer, not how smug you are.

I find Apple better in terms of OS, but worse in terms of hardware, in-house built software, and selection of free/open source software, but that the last point is partly due to shear mass effect on the relative size of the installed user bases.

heres a line that jumps at me the most...

Just because everything in a mac is made by the same person

pure bs there... if apple doesn't have the resources to patch their operating system and software effectively, where do people think apple has the resources to make their own hardware

I dont know what it is with people who use macs but they must have some reality distortion field around them or something. Saying macs are more secure than windows etc, and are like unhackable.

I am a user of BOTH, i wont call my self a fanboy as if i was i would use just one but i have a windows laptop for photoshop stuff, my mac for photo handaling like using apeture etc.

Then my linux server to store it all on as backups :)

But anyway macs are more stable than windows systems ONLY because they dont have to worry about 3rd partys coding crappy drivers etc as they are making their software for specific hardware etc. But with windows it has to support much much much much more hardware etc.

But on the other hand i am now slightly puzzled with macs, i got my leopard install DVD do a clean install and guess what it dont detect my mac wireless on a new install...... i have to hardwire in and then do software update......

For me the only time vista has ever crashed on me was because of crappy 3rd party drivers or faulty hardware. Never the OS it's self. But with my mac i dunno what it was but stupid safari needs some good bug spray. I mean major bugs in it. Random crashes, freezes and so on.

One thing i dont see how apple can claim is that vista screwed up the yoga billing..... If i am correct vista is an OS not a billing managment system.........

No more misleading than Vista's 'Wow' ad campaign.

Do you have a link to this campaign? I don't think they ever bashed their competition or made any snide remarks.

No more misleading than Vista's 'Wow' ad campaign.

True, but at least Microsoft isn't making ads non-stop that bash Leopard, especially when Leopard has had just as many issues as Vista.

Its more than that, macs are designed to be simple and functional, windows are coded to sell and make money

Wrong. Apple is in the business to make a profit. It's what every company tries to do.

These ads are definitely polarizing, but even those complaining about them are drawing more attention to them. :laugh: Regardless of how you feel about them, they're working.

Negative attention. There's a difference.

Overall, Microsoft doesn't need to advertise, much less acknowledge these ads since many Mac users will run Windows anyway at one point or another. In fact, when I walk into the Apple store at the mall to see all the latest technology, I walk out disappointed because there isn't much I can say that'll justify the money spent on a machine I'll use to run Windows anyway; especially when I can get a lot more for my dollar on a PC that isn't very hard to maintain.

Wrong. Apple is in the business to make a profit. It's what every company tries to do.

Negative attention. There's a difference.

Overall, Microsoft doesn't need to advertise, much less acknowledge these ads since many Mac users will run Windows anyway at one point or another. In fact, when I walk into the Apple store at the mall to see all the latest technology, I walk out disappointed because there isn't much I can say that'll justify the money spent on a machine I'll use to run Windows anyway; especially when I can get a lot more for my dollar on a PC that isn't very hard to maintain.

Too true. Going to the Apple store I see a lot of foreigners (New York, 5th Ave) come and ask about get a mac as a first computer. They are asking the "Mac Gurus" questions and when they finally ask why Best Buy is selling a better computer for half the cost the sales rep is unable to answer. It is quite funny to watch. They appear so cocky at first but they themselves cannot justify the cost. In the end, no one leaves the apple store with a Mac. They may leave with an iPod or iPhones, but not a Mac.

You may say that how could I know what happens in the store, but I have been to the store frequently and pass by that area frequently. I don't think Macs could fit in such a small bag.

Too true. Going to the Apple store I see a lot of foreigners (New York, 5th Ave) come and ask about get a mac as a first computer. They are asking the "Mac Gurus" questions and when they finally ask why Best Buy is selling a better computer for half the cost the sales rep is unable to answer. It is quite funny to watch. They appear so cocky at first but they themselves cannot justify the cost. In the end, no one leaves the apple store with a Mac. They may leave with an iPod or iPhones, but not a Mac.

You may say that how could I know what happens in the store, but I have been to the store frequently and pass by that area frequently. I don't think Macs could fit in such a small bag.

I frequent the store too.

Reason why I don't get mac. I'd rather just get a 600-700 laptop that has the specs of a high end MB and a MBP than paying $ 2000 (two Thousand dollars). I mean this is almost like a no brainer, and like both you guys said, in the end might just have to install windows.

plus there is the support windows OS and PCs have over macs.

Aesthetics does not justify that.

One thing these ads prove is that a lot of Microsoft users have little to no sense of humour and can't take criticism. I use Vista and it's been less than stellar, yet I keep using it; sadomasochism?

It's not a lack of humor, it's the fact that the same joke isn't funny after a few years of it...

Lies? LOL

With more people than ever switching to ... or buying Mac's, I think it's not lies at all.

More people than ever? It's hard to go down when you only have 7% of the marketshare or less to begin with...

In fact it would be really sad if they were going down.

-Spenser